• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use of lock-off

wph

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are an owner and reserve through Marriott and you exercise the lock-off option and reserve the lock-off immediately following the week you reserve the 1 bedroom do they really make you move from the 1 bedroom into the lock off?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you are an owner and reserve through Marriott and you exercise the lock-off option and reserve the lock-off immediately following the week you reserve the 1 bedroom do they really make you move from the 1 bedroom into the lock off?
You mean, will they give you a free one bedroom upgrade from the studio? No, they will not. You will be forced to move into a lock off studio probably not the adjoining one

sent from my cell phone...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you're talking about a one bedroom plus one bedroom lock off, then they might not make you move. Not sure if that's possible, what specific resort are you asking about?

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)

Absolutely, why would they not ? If you reserve a 1 br, you get a 1 br, you reserve a studio, you get a studio.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
You'll be moved anytime you book consecutive owned intervals (Weeks or DC Points) that aren't exactly the same size. Like taterhead said they won't even guarantee that you'll be able to move from a 1BR component to the adjoining studio.

Different view types will also require a move if they're booked through your owner account (Weeks or DC Points.)

With II exchanges different size units will require a move, while there may be some leeway to keep you in the same unit if you have consecutive exchanges to same size/different view type units. But again, no guarantee.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have even locked off one of our units to stay in the Guest Suite for the first week (moving to the Master Suite in the second week) only to find that the Master Suite stayed empty througout our first week's stay in the Guest Suite.
This did feel somewhat frustrating, but we had no expectation to be moved to the larger unit - we received what we booked.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have even locked off one of our units to stay in the Guest Suite for the first week (moving to the Master Suite in the second week) only to find that the Master Suite stayed empty througout our first week's stay in the Guest Suite.
This did feel somewhat frustrating, but we had no expectation to be moved to the larger unit - we received what we booked.

That happens alot but it is 100% unavoidable. For example that empty unit literally belongs to someone and technically they could show up at any moment (or it could be "rented" by the front desk or Dc points on any of the individual days). It could remain empty but that is an unknown until the week is finished.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
That happens alot but it is 100% unavoidable. For example that empty unit literally belongs to someone and technically they could show up at any moment (or it could be "rented" by the front desk or Dc points on any of the individual days). It could remain empty but that is an unknown until the week is finished.
I agree.
I had no problem understanding what was happening and why.
This didn't stop it feeling a little frustrating though.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree.
I had no problem understanding what was happening and why.
This didn't stop it feeling a little frustrating though.

Agreed. I bought a unit one time and when it transferred the resort told me that the current year usage was available to me. I was pleasantly surprised since it was not part of the deal but I checked with the closing company just to make sure. Apparently the resort in question isn't careful about usage when a unit transfers. They just have notes on it so it wasn't mine after all. I was there later in the year for the same week and the unit went empty :( I guess they had it on rental by the resort and it didn't rent but it is frustrating.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No way around this, during peak season they will have a guest checking in that is going to be expecting their 1BR unit. So no way that they can give you the 1BR for the second week. Even in low occupancy, I would have a problem with them keeping someone in something different than they own if they are staying on an owner week. Just opens themselves up to other problems.

Wally3433

Reaction score
Why would you even do this.

Why not just split, deposit both lockoff and 1BR with Interval and then trade back into a two bedroom for both weeks?

Then you can "rent" the lockoff to a friend in exchange for a free dinner.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you even do this.

Why not just split, deposit both lockoff and 1BR with Interval and then trade back into a two bedroom for both weeks?

Then you can "rent" the lockoff to a friend in exchange for a free dinner.

That is nice in theory but have you ever tried trading a studio for a Marriott 2BR or even a 1BR at a prime location during prime time? Doing it well in advance for planning is an impossibility. Heck even shoulder season and for some places "off season" is impossible without the rare II trade power glitch.

It is definitely doable in some circumstances and on short notice but it's tough and takes alot of work. I have found some areas and dates impossible even short notice. Literally four straight years of looking almost every morning and nothing.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
This used to be possible about a year ago at Ko Olina - I was trading my studio for a 2 br usually back to back for 2 weeks but that changed this past year and mostly, you have to use a 1 br to see it. I did snag a 2 br at Ko Olina with a studio 2 days before Boxing Day check in but this past month I saw a 2 br at Grand Chateau checking in that day but my studio would not see it. Unfortunately they've tightened things down a lot with studio units and it's not as good as it was before

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
For the trading/exchanging inclined.....

My advice would be to reserve and occupy the 1br portion. This anchors your vacation.
Deposit the studio and place an OGS for a 1br or larger on the following week.
Depending on the success of the OGS

• Occupy your (OGS) exchange for the second week
  • Flextrade your studio into a larger/more desirable unit
  • Occupy your studio
  • Use XYZ (scuzze me, Choose 2), to occupy a 3rd week
Just some thoughts

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

My advice would be to reserve and occupy the 1br portion. This anchors your vacation.

• Occupy your studio
Just some thoughts

It depends on the resort and the time of year. I reserve at the Palm Desert area each year for March and split it and no I won't deposit the studios into II with hopes of trading back a 1BR - hopes of trading up is slim to none. Even when I deposit my studios into II I have never seen them resurface. OGS snatches up even the studios.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So, point in question: OP never stated what resort or season he's considering locking off

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

• Occupy your studio
Just some thoughts

You can't submit an OGS for a larger unit if the resort has studios.

Wally3433

Reaction score
That is nice in theory but have you ever tried trading a studio for a Marriott 2BR or even a 1BR at a prime location during prime time? Doing it well in advance for planning is an impossibility. Heck even shoulder season and for some places "off season" is impossible without the rare II trade power glitch.

It is definitely doable in some circumstances and on short notice but it's tough and takes alot of work. I have found some areas and dates impossible even short notice. Literally four straight years of looking almost every morning and nothing.

Yes - I have done it every year since the Surf Club was open. Just completed this for the Surf Club at the end of April.

Split my SC 2 BR in December. Traded a one BR for a 2 BR on January 12th. Traded a Studio for a 1 BR at OC on January 12th (then later traded that into a 2 BR at SC via E Plus).

Got the exact dates I wanted for both 2 Bedroom units, and one of them is Oceanfront.

It takes 10 mouse clicks to check in the morning for an E Plus retrade. I would not consider that alot of work.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
You can't submit an OGS for a larger unit if the resort has studios.
You cannot request a unit larger than the deposit on OGS, but you can accept anything they give you. There are examples of being offered larger than studio with only a studio deposit. YMMV

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Yes - I have done it every year since the Surf Club was open. Just completed this for the Surf Club at the end of April.

Split my SC 2 BR in December. Traded a one BR for a 2 BR on January 12th. Traded a Studio for a 1 BR at OC on January 12th (then later traded that into a 2 BR at SC via E Plus).

Got the exact dates I wanted for both 2 Bedroom units, and one of them is Oceanfront.

It takes 10 mouse clicks to check in the morning for an E Plus retrade. I would not consider that alot of work.

Wow - were this OGS or Instant Exchange? I have to think OGS and am really inpressed with these trades. I know MOC has a home resort trade preference, do the Aruba properties have these?

Good work and thx for the news!

Best,

Greg

Wally3433

Reaction score
Wow - were this OGS or Instant Exchange? I have to think OGS and am really inpressed with these trades. I know MOC has a home resort trade preference, do the Aruba properties have these?

Good work and thx for the news!

Best,

Greg

Greg - those were instant exchanges. I never do OGS, but for all intents, it's basically what I do anyway by checking inventory every morning.

On my last EPlus retrade, my SC studio could see many SC and OC studios everyday. I could see 1 BR's about every other day and 2 BR's about twice a week. Just had to wait a bit for my dates to come up, which they did.

Honestly, I do this every year.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I understand but it just won't work everywhere for every week slot. It doesn't mean it can't be done in certain cases. For example I can usually do the same thing at Ocean Pointe for January but I can't do it for February or March. I check certain resorts on a daily basis for instant exchanges from 13 months out all the way to the day of.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
13 months ahead, I stay four weeks a year on my 2 weeks of BeachPlace...book them as LO, 1BR, 1Br, LO. The resort is great and they set it up so we just move through the door from the LO to the 1BR for the next two weeks and the same when we move back to the LO. Often the people in the other portion are so quiet I think they are empty. I've been doing that since the building opened. I would never expect to have them leave me in the 1BR instead of he LO and would doubt that's possible as its always prime time...Pres week to Spring break.

Brian

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
13 months ahead, I stay four weeks a year on my 2 weeks of BeachPlace...book them as LO, 1BR, 1Br, LO. The resort is great and they set it up so we just move through the door from the LO to the 1BR for the next two weeks and the same when we move back to the LO. Often the people in the other portion are so quiet I think they are empty. I've been doing that since the building opened. I would never expect to have them leave me in the 1BR instead of he LO and would doubt that's possible as its always prime time...Pres week to Spring break.

Brian
That is certainly an effective way to maximise lock off usage.
We too have never really been disturbed by noise from guests in the other portion, whether we are staying in the Master or Guest suites.
At most, when staying in the Guest suite, we might hear guests entering the front door of the Master suite via the shared inner lobby area.