• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use DC Legacy Points for Heritage Club or Canyon Villas?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would appreciate your insights regarding a trip we are going to plan for late April-early May 2013.

We would like to spend consecutives weeks at the Heritage Club on Hilton Head and then the Canyon Villas in Scottsdale. I am a golfer, so would benefit from the Heritage Club. To my knowledge, no other resorts provide free golf.

We are thinking of trading our Desert Springs Villas I unit for DC Legacy Points (3225 points) and using 1950 of them for the Heritage Club (all 2 BR's) with the assumption that this resort would be more challenging to trade into via II. We would also use a DS1 1BR that is already deposited to exchange into Canyon Villas for a 1 BR via II. That would leave us with 1275 points for other uses.

Are my assumptions that trading into the Heritage Club would be more challenging to trade into than Canyon Villas given the time of year? I also wonder how likely it will be that a unit at Heritage Club will be available via Legacy Points as I am not familiar with how owners at that resort use their weeks.

Any insights regarding this plan or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We would like to spend consecutives weeks at the Heritage Club on Hilton Head and then the Canyon Villas in Scottsdale. I am a golfer, so would benefit from the Heritage Club. To my knowledge, no other resorts provide free golf.
I am not a golfer, but I understand that Manor Club in Williamsburg also offers free golf to owners and exchangers. I think it is six rounds per week.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks BocaBoy. That is good to know in case we ever want to visit that area.

Anyone who owns or has traded into the Heritage Club or Canyon Villas have any thoughts about the questions I posed in my original post above?

Another thought I had since the Heritage Club is only 2 BR units, is to put in an ongoing request using my 1 BR and see if I can get the trade.

Thanks

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Our situation has changed a bit as we used our Desert Springs 1 BR to trade into Newport Coast during Oct. 2012.

Now our consideration will be converting our 2013 Desert Springs into Legacy points and making a reservation at both the Heritage Club and Canyon Villas in consecutive weeks in late April-Early May 2013. I am assuming that it would be easier to use Legacy points (I have reviewed the points chart) than trading a 1 BR into the Heritage Club (2 BR's only) and our lock-off studio into something at Canyon Villas via II. However, I don't know if that is true.

Does anyone have any experience with either Legacy points or an II trade at these resorts that may compare to our situation?

Thanks.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Our situation has changed a bit as we used our Desert Springs 1 BR to trade into Newport Coast during Oct. 2012.

Now our consideration will be converting our 2013 Desert Springs into Legacy points and making a reservation at both the Heritage Club and Canyon Villas in consecutive weeks in late April-Early May 2013. I am assuming that it would be easier to use Legacy points (I have reviewed the points chart) than trading a 1 BR into the Heritage Club (2 BR's only) and our lock-off studio into something at Canyon Villas via II. However, I don't know if that is true.

Does anyone have any experience with either Legacy points or an II trade at these resorts that may compare to our situation?

Thanks.

I don't have any experience with these resorts or exchanging into them, but it might help you to know that you can call in to a VOA and ask them to check availability for DC inventory before you commit to converting a Week to DC Points. Then if the intervals you want are available, the VOA can take care of the conversion and reservations during that same call.

Using Weeks, you can set up your II exchange request as soon as you're able to book your 2013 DSV1 Week and deposit it. Using Points, the reservation windows go by your DC status and also, it's not possible to book consecutive stays at two or more different resorts, during the same phone call, unless you wait to call until the open window of the last interval you want. (Sure hope that makes sense.) It would be nice to get a jump on an II exchange by putting it in motion as soon as possible, but if you do that then you won't be able to use the DC.

If you want to tell us your DC status and the exact dates you'll be looking for, we can give you the exact dates that you'll be able to check availability in the DC. Then at least you'll know how much of a jump you might have using II, and you can decide if you'd rather just put in the II request as soon as possible. :)

Last edited:

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two concerns about the Heritage Club trade.

The first is a general statement that I see very little Heritage Club availability on line which indicates that either it is in great demand or that the owners actually use their weeks to take advantage of the "free" golf which they are paying for via their maintenance fees.

The other is that Heritage Club owners (based on the DC points required to trade into Heritage Club) do not get many DC points in exchange for their weeks. The net result is that availability for DC exchanges might not be very abundant.

The suggestion to consider Manor Club as an alternative is good. However, I don't think that Manor Club Sequel has the free golf.

Art

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Sue and Art, thank you for your insights.

Sue, yes your explanation of the window for consecutive weeks makes sense. I only own one week and I did enroll, so I will have to wait until 12 months out. I think my best bet is to check with a VOA and see if they can give me a general idea of whether owners at the Heritage Club are trading their weeks for points. As Art mentioned, we don't see it as a trade very often and that could be because owners use their weeks.

I am curious to try the points program and see how it works for us. I will let you know how it eventually turns out.