• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Uploading a photo

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need to update a photo id card for an organization I am affiliated with. I had my son take a photo and it is now in "my photos" section of my computer. When I try to upload it for the card, the message says, file too large. Does anyone know how I make it smaller? Thanks from a computer illiterate!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You'll need a photo editing program of some sort to shrink the file size to something usable. Digital cameras tend to take images that are very large files, intended for printing out on paper. On the computer screen, most browsers shrink the image to what appreas to be a smaller size, but they don't indicate the size of the original file. Lots of cameras come with some of viewer software. If so, you may be able to use that.

Check with the ID people to find out the appropriate file size and resolution for their needs, and then find someone to resize it for you to meet those specifications. If it's not too large a file, you may be able to email the image to a friend and have them shrink it down.

Hope this helps,
Dave

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you open the photo in anything? what happens if you double-click it? If it shows on your screen, search the menus for something that will either resize (say by 50%), or perhaps let you save as or export as .jpg, and then you may be able to specify a file size (smaller than whatever it is now.)

If that doesn't help, and if you don't have a video editing program, you can probably do it in MS Word. Open a new Word document, and import the photo. I don't know the specific menu/command under Windows, but look under Import, or maybe Open, or perhaps Format / graphic. Then find the photo and click Open or Import.

Once you have the photo on the screen, if you click or double-click it, you should be able to resize it by putting your mouse on the lower right corner and then moving diagonally up to the left. On a Mac you can hold the shift key in while resizing, so the proportions will stay the same - I don't know about doing that in Windows.

You may also find something under the menus, perhaps under format/picture or format/graphic that just lets you specify the amount of reduction - e.g. 50%.

Then see if you can export or save as... a .jpg file.

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your quick response. I actually had something called HP Photosmart software and just clicked "reduce for blog" and it did the trick. Once you told me it had to be done through a photo editing program, the rest was painless! Thanks again!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, there you go. Glad to be of help!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
On a Mac you can hold the shift key in while resizing, so the proportions will stay the same - I don't know about doing that in Windows.

Generally speaking, the shift key will do the same thing in Windows. In my experience, it's the rare program that DOESN'T do it that way.

Dave