• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Updated Flex FAQ

Myrddin12

Reaction score
Great info here - thank you! One question that I haven't been able to find a clear answer to - you indicate that smaller flex ownerships can be combined as HomeOptions for a single reservation. Does the same work for banked points? Hoping to stay at one of the Hawaii resorts but banked to be able to combine for a larger room as our two boys are old enough now that we really need a 2BR. Thanks,.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Great info here - thank you! One question that I haven't been able to find a clear answer to - you indicate that smaller flex ownerships can be combined as HomeOptions for a single reservation. Does the same work for banked points? Hoping to stay at one of the Hawaii resorts but banked to be able to combine for a larger room as our two boys are old enough now that we really need a 2BR. Thanks,.
HomeOptions purchased direct from the Vistana (or re-qualified) could be used with banked points for a single reservation made 8 months or less from check in. In essence you are just combining StarOptions to get the reservation. You can't use Home Options from 12-8 months with banked points (StarOptions) to make a single reservation as StarOptions can only be used for reservations inside 8 months of checkin.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just amazed at how much more expensive Westin Flex is than Sheraton Flex, looking at resale prices on Redweek. Is it because the Westin resorts are that much more desirable to book using HomeOptions? As it is, the MFs are higher, correct?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm just amazed at how much more expensive Westin Flex is than Sheraton Flex, looking at resale prices on Redweek. Is it because the Westin resorts are that much more desirable to book using HomeOptions? As it is, the MFs are higher, correct?
Westin Flex includes Maui, Sheraton Flex doesn't. That is probably a big reason behind it. Westin Flex is also newer with fewer resale contracts out there while Sheraton Flex floods the resale market. Supply and demand.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I tend to view WFlex as a kind of “super StarOption”. Mandatory properties have tended to hold their value well since they allowed you to book using SO into a broad range of properties - with the Hawaii properties probably being the most sought after.

WFlex gets you most of those desirable properties, but with the bonus of being able to book at 12 months versus 8. SFlex really only has some Colorado and Kauai availability that would be harder to get with SO and might be highly sought after.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
I tend to view WFlex as a kind of “super StarOption”. Mandatory properties have tended to hold their value well since they allowed you to book using SO into a broad range of properties - with the Hawaii properties probably being the most sought after.

WFlex gets you most of those desirable properties, but with the bonus of being able to book at 12 months versus 8. SFlex really only has some Colorado and Kauai availability that would be harder to get with SO and might be highly sought after.
I see it differently than your assessment as I have never had a problem booking Maui or desert properties at 8 months out. Westin Flex to me is more limited as it only gives priority to those two destinations (Westin Riverfront has barely any weeks in Flex and almost all of them are mud season). If those are the two places you always go to, it's probably a great choice to get priority if you need it, depending upon how many weeks are actually in Flex...not any OF, from what I recall on here. Sheraton Flex gets you priority for Hawaii, the desert, Colorado plus Florida and South Carolina, and for me personally I like the variety of priority locations should I wish to book during that period to ensure an earlier time stamp and better room location. Sheraton Steamboat is nearly all in Flex so if you want high demand ski weeks that's the way to go. To each their own, of course

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
I see it differently than your assessment as I have never had a problem booking Maui or desert properties at 8 months out. Westin Flex to me is more limited as it only gives priority to those two destinations (Westin Riverfront has barely any weeks in Flex and almost all of them are mud season). If those are the two places you always go to, it's probably a great choice to get priority if you need it, depending upon how many weeks are actually in Flex...not any OF, from what I recall on here. Sheraton Flex gets you priority for Hawaii, the desert, Colorado plus Florida and South Carolina, and for me personally I like the variety of priority locations should I wish to book during that period to ensure an earlier time stamp and better room location. Sheraton Steamboat is nearly all in Flex so if you want high demand ski weeks that's the way to go. To each their own, of course
I can confirm quality of weeks in Sheraton Flex. Christmas this past year was family booking Sheraton Steamboat and able to get a two bedroom including Christmas Day. The catch is that the only truly desirable properties are Hawaii and Steamboat with the rest being in overdeveloped regions with regular cash sales on stays.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I can confirm quality of weeks in Sheraton Flex. Christmas this past year was family booking Sheraton Steamboat and able to get a two bedroom including Christmas Day. The catch is that the only truly desirable properties are Hawaii and Steamboat with the rest being in overdeveloped regions with regular cash sales on stays.

While not slope-side like Steamboat and the Westin Riverfront is better(but extremely hard to get into in ski season), the Sheraton Mountain Vista is a good option for skiing Beaver Creek (and Vail with a drive). And the cash rate in the area is very high, making a good case for owning if you ski there often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVN (retro/resale upgrades): Lakeside Terrace, Harborside, Sheraton Flex; Disney Vacation Club (resale and direct): Bay Lake Towers, Riviera
Additionally Lakeside Terrace in Sheraton Flex has nice large two bedrooms, its directly across from Mountain Vista , on the Avon Skier shuttle route or a 10 minute walk to the Westin gondola.

I'll throw in Vistana Beach club in Jensen Beach (next to Port St. Lucie), its also in Sheraton Flex. A nice small complex with all units ocean view right on the beach. Its also like the Arizona properties , a popular spring training spot.

Huskerpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BoardWalk Villas, MVC Grande Vista & Willow Ridge, WorldMark
Do I understand correctly that if you buy Sheraton or Westin Flex points on the resale market you cannot bank unused points into the next year? Do they allow you to borrow points from the future year?

I like the area the Sheraton Kauai resort is located. Is this a very difficult resort to book with Sheraton Flex points?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Do I understand correctly that if you buy Sheraton or Westin Flex points on the resale market you cannot bank unused points into the next year? Do they allow you to borrow points from the future year?

I like the area the Sheraton Kauai resort is located. Is this a very difficult resort to book with Sheraton Flex points?
As per the FAQ you cannot bank or borrow Flex HomeOptions. Only Staroptions can be banked or borrowed - resale Flex does not come with SO. You can use II to deposit your Flex for another year.

Someone who owns SFlex can answer the Kauai question.

SteveS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVN (retro/resale upgrades): Lakeside Terrace, Harborside, Sheraton Flex; Disney Vacation Club (resale and direct): Bay Lake Towers, Riviera

It’s not difficult. I reserved Sheraton Kauai with Sflex for first week in Dec in the 8–12 window with no problem. I just checked and it’s not available now. I checked a few random dates for March/April/May and some were available.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
100% of Kauai is in Flex.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Sheraton Kauai is not difficult to book with Sheraton Flex. However, you will be booking into a converted hotel property with the smallest villas in the Vistana system. Location (on the island) is great. However, you are across the street from the beach behind the hotel property. IMO the property is only made desirable based on being in Hawaii.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
Sheraton Kauai is not difficult to book with Sheraton Flex. However, you will be booking into a converted hotel property with the smallest villas in the Vistana system. Location (on the island) is great. However, you are across the street from the beach behind the hotel property. IMO the property is only made desirable based on being in Hawaii.
Which is a reward in of itself, and when you see what people pay for hotel rooms in resorts nearby you become even more impressed with the value even with the drawbacks compared to other resorts.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

We just reserved 3 nights in May 2023 using StarOptions at the 8-month mark. So, if we had Sheraton-Flex we could have reserved it even earlier.

We have visited both Westin Princeville and the Sheraton in Poipu but never stayed at either. So, we decided to split a week next year and stay in Princeville for 4 nights followed by 3 in Poipu. The units will be very different, but we look forward to experiencing both resorts and not having several long drives to the other side of the island if we only stayed at one of the resorts. It should be an interesting experience.

Best regards.

Mike

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Would this be a good TS to buy into?
Which one? Sheraton Flex?

Flex stands for flexible in my brain, so no guarantees of anything. I like guarantees. We own deeded weeks at sheraton Broadway Resort. Sat through a presentation for Sheraton flex while on Maui 2-3 years ago. I was so confused when I got out of that presentation. I would have to give up my weeks that are deeded prime summer and pay money to get them into Flex. I didn't sign. Baffled by the offer and the salesperson's double talk.

Last year I called Syed to buy exactly what I want.

I do not recommend financing a timeshare, and if that is what you are considering, buy a cheap timeshare in the system and use it to trade through II for now, then add to your ownership. Sheratons in platinum or Gold Plus season have excellent trading power. Sheraton Desert Oasis or Broadway, or Mountain Vista are three that come to mind. But only platinum or gold seasons. II exchanges Vistana (Westin/Sheraton resorts) to the same or to Marriott for $164. Bargain for full weeks. Not terribly tough to get the studios on Maui with island view with a one bedroom at any Sheraton.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Would this be a good TS to buy into?

Note on the MVC forum you were likely offered Westin Flex. You can find Westin Flex resale or even from the developer if that’s what you wanted to get.

One thing that may be valuable here is a $20 membership to RedWeek to scan what resales are on offer for. You can then use that to figure out whether or not it’s a good deal.

Personally I think Westin flex is the best of the three flex options that are on offer (Sheraton, Westin, Aventuras). Has the best properties in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk