• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United refunds? Airfare to Canada in July

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get a refund from United recently? We had flights from Newark to Toronto July 28 to August 12. The border to Canada will be closed till the end of July at least.

In addition, they changed our direct flight to a Newark to Washington to Toronto flight with a stopover.

On the United site, it says you have to cancel first and then apply for a refund. Has anyone gone through this recently? Any suggestions? Is it better to call and just be on hold for a few hours? Thanks for any info!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dd had a flight to Toronto in August for a workshop. The workshop was cancelled, and so was her trip. When she cancelled her United flight she got a credit. Since her company had reimbursed her for the airfare she wasn't out anything. She can only use the credit for a trip related to business since the company paid for it. She's fine with that. And I know none of that helps you out.

Since they changed your direct flight to one with a stopover I would think you could cancel the flight and get a refund. I'd certainly try. Reach out to them on social media. I've found I've gotten faster responses that way.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dd had a flight to Toronto in August for a workshop. The workshop was cancelled, and so was her trip. When she cancelled her United flight she got a credit. Since her company had reimbursed her for the airfare she wasn't out anything. She can only use the credit for a trip related to business since the company paid for it. She's fine with that. And I know none of that helps you out.

Since they changed your direct flight to one with a stopover I would think you could cancel the flight and get a refund. I'd certainly try. Reach out to them on social media. I've found I've gotten faster responses that way.

Yes, we had United flights in April that we canceled at the last minute, and we got vouchers. That's why I really would prefer a refund for the Canada flights--if we take the vouchers, we'll have more than $1100 in vouchers, with no plans to fly anywhere anytime soon.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I wouldn't cancel first and hope. They'll say, "Look, you cancelled, not us."
I cancelled two Delta flights (one international). Now I have ~$3800 in credit.
So I say: Call 'em. Put 'em on speaker, and go pour a drink or use the john.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't cancel first and hope. They'll say, "Look, you cancelled, not us."
I cancelled two Delta flights (one international). Now I have ~$3800 in credit.
So I say: Call 'em. Put 'em on speaker, and go pour a drink or use the john.

That's what I'm thinking. Even if Canada suddenly opened up the border, I wouldn't be going. Time to cancel the timeshare, too. :(

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@wackymother let us know what kind of luck you have with United.

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try reaching out to United via Facebook messenger. They answered immediately. My July flights to Italy were no longer operating when I checked the status. United never notified me so I contacted them via Facebook. I did get a full refund. I also contacted the Travel Guard insurance that I took out at the time of ticket purchase. Although this insurance was useless, I asked them for a refund as well since I didn't have flights anymore. The also refunded fully.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try reaching out to United via Facebook messenger. They answered immediately. My July flights to Italy were no longer operating when I checked the status. United never notified me so I contacted them via Facebook. I did get a full refund. I also contacted the Travel Guard insurance that I took out at the time of ticket purchase. Although this insurance was useless, I asked them for a refund as well since I didn't have flights anymore. The also refunded fully.
Thank you, I will try that! And good reminder about the insurance, bc I also bought insurance for the trip. Thank you again!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This is good to know about the insurance. I am going to check to see if I can get a refund for the travel insurance I took out on the trips that we have cancelled. Not a huge amount, but it would be nice to get it back.

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't cancel our trip, United did, so that's why I thought to reach out to the travel insurance. In reality, we didn't really have a purchased trip any longer.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We didn't cancel our trip, United did, so that's why I thought to reach out to the travel insurance. In reality, we didn't really have a purchased trip any longer.
Thanks. I cancelled both of the trips I had insurance for, so don't know if they'll do anything. I sent inquiries on both trips. I'll try to remember to report back with the results.

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had flights from SFO to PVR June 7-14 with United. A month ago, they changed it from a non-stop to a red eye. The difference in departure times was more than 9 hours.

I tried to cancel via their website, but had no luck. I called, and an agent picked up within 5 minutes. I explained that my flight had changed by more than nine hours, and I'd like a refund. She transferred me, and the next agent put in for a refund. About 7 days later, the refund showed up on my credit card.

What made me really happy was that they refunded both my fare, and my economy plus upgrades. On United's website, all they would give me credit for was the initial purchase, not $220 in seat upgrades. The agent said she would put in a refund for ALL my expenses, and sure enough, 7 days later, I got all my money back.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I had to ask Delta about my upgrades; otherwise, they'd been ignored.
"Oh, yeah," the CSR said, "Those won't transfer, so we'll refund those."
But they were quick about it.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had flights from SFO to PVR June 7-14 with United. A month ago, they changed it from a non-stop to a red eye. The difference in departure times was more than 9 hours.

I tried to cancel via their website, but had no luck. I called, and an agent picked up within 5 minutes. I explained that my flight had changed by more than nine hours, and I'd like a refund. She transferred me, and the next agent put in for a refund. About 7 days later, the refund showed up on my credit card.

What made me really happy was that they refunded both my fare, and my economy plus upgrades. On United's website, all they would give me credit for was the initial purchase, not $220 in seat upgrades. The agent said she would put in a refund for ALL my expenses, and sure enough, 7 days later, I got all my money back.

Thank you! I hope I have a similar experience. Waiting till probably Tuesday to call. The changes on our flights would have us arriving only about four hours past the original time.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

I think that when my dd cancelled her United flights the upgrades to Economy Plus were automatically refunded to her credit card.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I finally called United the last week of June to discuss this. I got an agent very quickly, and he was very helpful. He said they wouldn't refund bc of the borders (bc the borders are officially closed until the week BEFORE this flight, although the closure is expected to be extended). But he thought they would refund based on the outbound flights being changed...even though according to their records, I had accepted that change.

(This is one of the most annoying things about United's website--if they change your flight, you must accept the change before you can see your seats and exactly what is going on.)

Anyway, he went to a manager and they okayed the refund! They said it would take up to 21 days to appear on my credit card, but it took only about a week. Thank you, United!

Btw, I think it helped that I used a United credit card to buy the tix and that I have United Silver status--it's the lowest possible status, and I have it from my Marriott status, but United always seems much more helpful when I have it than when I don't.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Anyway, he went to a manager and they okayed the refund! They said it would take up to 21 days to appear on my credit card, but it took only about a week. Thank you, United!..

Congrats!
Now, you'll need to contact the CC peep to get them to send you the $$.

Chase said they'd issue a check or info for an electronic xfer in 7-10 days.
So, it takes 'em 24 hours to take $$ from my bank, but 7-10 days to put it back?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Congrats!
Now, you'll need to contact the CC peep to get them to send you the $$.

Chase said they'd issue a check or info for an electronic xfer in 7-10 days.
So, it takes 'em 24 hours to take $$ from my bank, but 7-10 days to put it back?
Isn't that annoying. They can take the money immediately, but it takes forever to get it back. I have a refund I'm waiting for. I was accidentally charged for a room (at a spa resort) when all I'd done was book a massage. I did put it in dispute and got the credit from Chase. When I called the vendor first they couldn't find any record of the charge. Then I guess they found it since they said they'd issued the refund. I was told 7 to 10 days. Yesterday was the 10th business day, still no refund. I'll call them on Monday.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I went to the website for our travel insurance and put in for a credit to use for a future trip.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Also, I went to the website for our travel insurance and put in for a credit to use for a future trip.
I put in claims for a couple of flights we already cancelled. I have heard nothing. I was trying to see if I could get the cost of the insurance refunded.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in claims for a couple of flights we already cancelled. I have heard nothing. I was trying to see if I could get the cost of the insurance refunded.

Yes, that's what I put in for--a voucher for the cost of the insurance. They had a form right on the website. A refund would probably be harder to get. I'll go chase after it if I don't hear anything in a couple of weeks....

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes, that's what I put in for--a voucher for the cost of the insurance. They had a form right on the website. A refund would probably be harder to get. I'll go chase after it if I don't hear anything in a couple of weeks....
I used the form on their website. This was with Allianz. I heard nothing. Not even a "sorry but you don't qualify for a refund". I had forgotten I'd even submitted. And since I did it through the website I have no evidence that I even submitted it.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you call them? Ours was with C&F Travel Insured. I've had good experiences with Allianz in the past, though.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I just tried submitting a claim again and asking for a response. We'll see what happens. The amount we paid isn't huge, but it would still be nice to get it back.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried submitting a claim again and asking for a response. We'll see what happens. The amount we paid isn't huge, but it would still be nice to get it back.
Luanne, I just got my voucher for the cost of the insurance, to be used toward a future trip. It only took a couple of days. Hope yours goes smoothly!