• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Understanding Depoe Bay Phase I and II?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm looking at visiting WM Depoe Bay. Can someone please explain the Phase I and II arrangement? Is one preferred over the other? The WM website isn't clear about which is which, and how things are laid out. My interest is mainly about whale watching and ocean views. Which one is better to book for the best views from the unit?

Follow-on question about whale watching: Is Depoe Bay the best WM site for this? If not, which WM on the Oregon Coast would be the best location for whale watching?

Dave

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
All units have a view of the water. The phase 2 units face the cove rather than the ocean itself. Some of the rooms in phase 2 also look over the basketball court which in my opinion isn’t quite as nice of view.
However every room at depot bay is terrific in my view. I don’t think you can be unhappy in any of them

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
View from a Phase 2 room.
D1746CF6-1C41-4410-A0A4-7C8E3658B5A5.jpeg
5530ADF4-F6D5-440B-BC08-281A5C35C9F8.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, JohnPaul. Is this the cove I've heard whales sometimes come into? And all else being equal, it seems booking Phase I would typically bring the better view (i.e. no basketball court option)?

Dave

Travel1

Reaction score
Thanks, JohnPaul. Is this the cove I've heard whales sometimes come into? And all else being equal, it seems booking Phase I would typically bring the better view (i.e. no basketball court option)?

Dave
DSCN2074.JPG

View from Phase 1, which generally has better views (but both are nice!). This was taken in June when the waves are calmer and therefore better for whale watching. During the winter, the surf and waves are much bigger and therefore harder to see whales.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Great photos! Thanks to you both for sharing these!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I personally have never heard a report of them coming into Pirate Cove, but I guess it is possible. I have seen them in the main part of Depoe Bay, sometimes very close to the shoreline:

1578773579082.png

Travel1

Reaction score
Note, one nice thing about the Phase II buildings is that you can determine in advance if you want a ground floor or upper floor unit.

In Phase II, all 2 Bedroom Phase II Queen Beds (King in Master, Queen in second bedroom) will be on the upper floors. All 2 Bedroom Phase II Twin Beds (King in Master, twins in second bedroom) will be on the ground floor.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Note, one nice thing about the Phase II buildings is that you can determine in advance if you want a ground floor or upper floor unit.

In Phase II, all 2 Bedroom Phase II Queen Beds (King in Master, Queen in second bedroom) will be on the upper floors. All 2 Bedroom Phase II Twin Beds (King in Master, twins in second bedroom) will be on the ground floor.

Thanks for that. So one assumes the views are better from the upper floors?

I'm looking at a Wintertime or early Spring visit, so anticipate stormy weather. I'd like to try and get the best view from the unit.

That being said, we visited Newport a few years ago over Valentine's Day, and it was unexpectedly clear, sunny, and 60 degrees. We drove my Porsche Boxster with the top down most of the way. Rare weather for that time of year, certainly! :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I personally have never heard a report of them coming into Pirate Cove, but I guess it is possible. I have seen them in the main part of Depoe Bay, sometimes very close to the shoreline:

That may be what I was hearing. I don't know that section of coastline very well.

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like the two bed units in phase 1 in the first or second story. The patios above the first and second story units are somewhat protected from the rain. I had phase 1 first story and really liked being able to walk over to the rocks from my patio.

We saw whales with the binoculars mostly. I took my boat and launched out of Depot Bay. What a hoot. Anyway, the fishing and crabbing is pretty good in the area. We bottom fished. I wanted to chase the tuna but they were too far out.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I like the two bed units in phase 1 in the first or second story. The patios above the first and second story units are somewhat protected from the rain. I had phase 1 first story and really liked being able to walk over to the rocks from my patio.

We saw whales with the binoculars mostly. I took my boat and launched out of Depot Bay. What a hoot. Anyway, the fishing and crabbing is pretty good in the area. We bottom fished. I wanted to chase the tuna but they were too far out.

Bill

You need to take me the next time you take your boat there. I'd go out. ;)

From what I'm hearing, just about anything at WM Depoe Bay is good. The rest is in the details.

Dave

Travel1

Reaction score
Thanks for that. So one assumes the views are better from the upper floors?

I'm looking at a Wintertime or early Spring visit, so anticipate stormy weather. I'd like to try and get the best view from the unit.

That being said, we visited Newport a few years ago over Valentine's Day, and it was unexpectedly clear, sunny, and 60 degrees. We drove my Porsche Boxster with the top down most of the way. Rare weather for that time of year, certainly! :)

Dave
Yes, we always prefer the upper floors for the best views, and we have always stayed in Phase I that doesn't guarantee the upper floor. All units face the ocean, but you won't always see the waves hitting the coast from your living room on the ground floors (except in a few buildings that are very close to the edge). As you probably already know, room locations are determined by the date of your reservation...so the further out you book your reservation, the better the chance for an upper floor unit (given that one is available the day you check in)

We love the stormy weather at Depoe Bay in the winter!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There is the Whale Cove Habitat Refuge just south of Depoe Bay. Also Rocky Creek State Scenic Viewpoint just a little further south. There is a bench out by the cliffs for good viewing.