• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unable to use search feature ...

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently, I tried searching All Forums for the string "one plus one". Every time, the BBS immediately returns:

" Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : one, plus, one"

It seems that I can't search on multiple words? The search seems to work just fine if I'm looking for a single word.

I've tried checking the FAQ .. maybe I missed something? Feel free to refer me to RTFM :) I can't seem to find it!

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't in searching for multiple words. If you re-read the reply from the system, the problem is with the words you are attempting to search on. Both 'One' and 'Plus' are in the common words list of the search engine and excluded from search strings. As they are the only words in your requested search string nothing actually is being searched on.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to search on a "phrase" then?

Thanks for your response, Keith.

I'm looking for information on "One Plus One" (as in RCI bonus weeks.) How would I search the forums for this phrase?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That phrase won't work as a search string for the reasons Keith mentions. Thus, not all terms are searchable on these forums.

Fortunately, changing your search phrase slightly in this situation to "one-plus-one" turns up two hits, one of which is the very useful RCI FAQs. The other hit is merely a reference to the FAQ with no additional info.

Last edited:

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was it!

Looks like the way to search on a phrase is to string the words together using the dash "-".

Shouldn't this be in the FAQ's?

Thanks, Dave.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm? So how would one search on an exact phrase? Or, is that not possible?

geekette

Reaction score
Just not with the very common words of One or Plus or The or A or And...

When in doubt, reword and retry.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
RFE (Request for Enhancement -- just being wishful..)

An exact phrase is not exactly "very common". For example, "one plus one" as an EXACT PHRASE is not common. I understand that, alone, "one" or "plus", may be common -- but

I guess it boils down to the software not being able to support the complicated nature of phrase searching.

And, I can't exacly reword an exact phrase.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand. The software does support exact phrase searching.

For example, if you search all TUG BBS forums for the individual words various, Marriott and properties, you'll find 70 threads which have all three words. However, if you search for "various Marriott properties" (using the quotes as part of your search phrase), you'll find only one thread with that phrase.

The key to the problem that you had is that the software doesn't recognize as search terms many very common words, such as low numbers, prepositions, conjunctions, etc. Your search phrase was made up entirely of such words. Thus, although most phrases are searchable, not all are.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Adding....

The search mechanism will look for and find those common words - as part of a phrase - if there are other searchable words in the phrase you seek. For example, searching for "one thread with that phrase" (including the quotes) will turn up that quote in this thread (see my post above this one) and only this thread, even though the search phrase includes three words (one, with and that) which, individually, would not be searchable.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm used to using software that will only search for the exact phrase when requested, such as "one plus one" will ONLY search for the exact phrase and not the individual words on their own.

Software should provide the option to search only for something or combination of as requested. Otherwise, it can be impossible to find what you're looking for in a database without weeding out all that is irrelevent.

Fortunately, I have patience to do this -- most end users will not :-/