• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Turbo Tax Maryland return problem

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually do my son's taxes, and this year I filed his return on my Turbo Tax account.
He and his wife are residents of Massachusetts, she is getting PHD at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, has a fellowship.
I filed federal, Massachusettes, both efiled, paid extra to do Maryland 505 non resident but asked my son to mail that form in.

He just received a bill from Maryland for an additional $10,000 plus, He called Maryland and they basically told him to figure it out himself. They said he had a mistake and to fix it.
It is obvious they are not accepting that they are non residents. They are taxing his entire salary in Massachusetts and also his inherited IRA withdrawal.

I called Turbo Tax. They refused to talk to me because it is my son's return. I explained that I did the turbo tax on my account. No, they need his permission to talk to me. They also said I must have made a mistake on the return, but it was checked and rechecked by Turbo Tax. In fact it never asked me for any information when I went to the Maryland return, just said I needed to file form 505 and then filled it in entirely from information from federal and Massachusetts return . If there is any mistake, it would be a mistake on all three returns.

I think the answer is to pay Turbo Tax the $25 to efile the return, but they would not let me ask them about it.
So everything is on hold here.

Any suggestions?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
When you prepared the Maryland return, did you select Non Resident? That should be the correct status and form, and may only include the fellowship stipend.

Who did he contact? Most tax authorities have taxpayer advocates that assist. This comptroller page looks like the best contact.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you prepared the Maryland return, did you select Non Resident? That should be the correct status and form, and may only include the fellowship stipend.

Who did he contact? Most tax authorities have taxpayer advocates that assist. This comptroller page looks like the best contact.

Thanks for the link, I forwarded it to my son
yes we used form 505 non resident and were due a refund
My son mailed the return from the post Office
maryland is taxing him as a resident, even with a Massachusetts address and earned income from Massachusetts.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
I did some quick research on the internet and I am not providing any tax advice here... But I found that you are considered a statutory resident if you maintain a residence in Maryland for 6 months or at least 183 days. If one spouse is a resident and not the other, you should file separate Maryland returns.
Screenshot_2024-07-05-17-08-56-33_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
She does not meet that criteria, she flew in on Mondays and flew out on Thursdays for one semester, but they are going to be closer this year.
the taxes are more than she was given as a stipend.
but I appreciate your post. I told my son to make sure they keep track.

Last edited: