• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG Turns 28 this month!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
28 years ago this month my father and a group of other Timeshare Owners began to organize what was originally a Prodigy Bulletin Board System (where TUGBBS came from) composed of a handful of Timeshare owners discussion resorts and Timesharing, into what we now call TUG.

TUG was/is actually one of the very first commercial sites on the Internet and the very first website period relating to Timeshares! not sure how many of you remember back to 1993, but the internet wasnt nearly as popular as it is now. The TUG website is older than any other Timeshare related website (and the vast majority of all websites period!)

Over the last Twenty Seven years, TUG has helped tens of thousands of timeshare owners, many to this day remain to pass on the gift of knowledge they likely received themselves many moons ago through the various websites and TUGBBS forum installations we have had over the years.

With Millions of dollars worth of Timeshares sold and rented by TUGGERS, nearly $53 million!!!

On top of that, millions more dollars worth of money saved just from folks finding TUG in time to discover the resale market.... currently over 17 million recorded in just this version of the forum!

More than that though is the unimaginable value of information passed on and learned year after year through nothing more than Timeshare owners helping each other understand and best use this product that comes with no instruction manual. I have even heard in the past TUG is the "handbook" for Timeshares, and believe it to be true to this day.

This community is truly one of a Kind, providing Timeshare owners a place they can truly get help and advice without having to worry about being scammed or ripped off!

other minor historical events that ALSO happened in 1993!

Politics: Apartheid finally ended in South Africa.
The Top Song was Dreamlover by Mariah Carey
The Big Movies included Jurassic Park, Mrs. Doubtfire and The Fugitive
Price of Bayer Aspirin in 1993: $3.84/100
Sony (radio) Walkman: $29.98
The World Population was ~ 5,477,000,000
US Life Expectancy: Males: 72.2 years, Females: 78.8 years
The Pentium Processer was invented in 1993.
The 1993 VHS release of Aladdin sold 10.6 million copies in its first week.
Toronto won the world series
Dallas won the Superbowl
Florida State won the National Title in Football beating Nebraska
Pete Sampras / Steffie Graf won Wimbledon
In 1993, total Internet traffic amounted to approximately 100 TB for the year. As of June 2008, Cisco Systems estimated Internet traffic at 160 TB/s. In other words, the amount of Internet used per second in 2008 exceeded all of the Internet used in 1993.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're making me feel old, Brian. I was one of those people who actually PAID your dad to become a member of that Prodigy BBS. I didn't own a TS, and was just researching resales. I didn't re-up when life took one of it's twists. Then a few years later, the TS bug bit again and I found my first resale week in Sedona that was in RCI Points for sale through Holiday Timeshare Resales. I still own that week.

Jim

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're making me feel old, Brian. I was one of those people who actually PAID your dad to become a member of that Prodigy BBS. I didn't own a TS, and was just researching resales. I didn't re-up when life took one of it's twists. Then a few years later, the TS bug bit again and I found my first resale week in Sedona that was in RCI Points for sale through Holiday Timeshare Resales. I still own that week.

Jim
That was a little unknown TUG History Fact. Passepartout you are NOT OLD; you are liked a TUG REVIEW EXPERT WITH TRUE TIMESHARE KNOWLEDGE. IMHO.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::whooopie::whooopie::whooopie::whooopie::whooopie:Thanks you for all your posts and threads topic.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was a little unknown TUG History Fact. Passepartout you are NOT OLD; you are liked a TUG REVIEW EXPERT WITH TRUE TIMESHARE KNOWLEDGE. IMHO.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::whooopie::whooopie::whooopie::whooopie::whooopie:
Thanks, Pedro47. I know some of your secrets too. Like '47 was a good year. ;)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I missed the first 3 years, but I have been a member since 1997. I remember the trip that prompted discovering TUG and rescinding on the Sunterra (thank goodness) in Sedona. Love Sedona, so happy about not being in Sunterra.

Oddly enough I own Hilton, Wyndham and Holiday Inn point systems, but I never initially purchased any of these, they all bought up the smaller timeshares I had purchased resale and then became the big players they are today.

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Happy Birthday TUG!!! And thanks for all you do and share! :cheer:

KimmieM

Reaction score
28 years ago this month my father and a group of other Timeshare Owners began to organize what was originally a Prodigy Bulletin Board System (where TUGBBS came from) composed of a handful of Timeshare owners discussion resorts and Timesharing, into what we now call TUG.

TUG was/is actually one of the very first commercial sites on the Internet and the very first website period relating to Timeshares! not sure how many of you remember back to 1993, but the internet wasnt nearly as popular as it is now. The TUG website is older than any other Timeshare related website (and the vast majority of all websites period!)

Over the last Twenty Seven years, TUG has helped tens of thousands of timeshare owners, many to this day remain to pass on the gift of knowledge they likely received themselves many moons ago through the various websites and TUGBBS forum installations we have had over the years.

With Millions of dollars worth of Timeshares sold and rented by TUGGERS, nearly $53 million!!!

On top of that, millions more dollars worth of money saved just from folks finding TUG in time to discover the resale market.... currently over 17 million recorded in just this version of the forum!

More than that though is the unimaginable value of information passed on and learned year after year through nothing more than Timeshare owners helping each other understand and best use this product that comes with no instruction manual. I have even heard in the past TUG is the "handbook" for Timeshares, and believe it to be true to this day.

This community is truly one of a Kind, providing Timeshare owners a place they can truly get help and advice without having to worry about being scammed or ripped off!

other minor historical events that ALSO happened in 1993!

Politics: Apartheid finally ended in South Africa.
The Top Song was Dreamlover by Mariah Carey
The Big Movies included Jurassic Park, Mrs. Doubtfire and The Fugitive
Price of Bayer Aspirin in 1993: $3.84/100
Sony (radio) Walkman: $29.98
The World Population was ~ 5,477,000,000
US Life Expectancy: Males: 72.2 years, Females: 78.8 years
The Pentium Processer was invented in 1993.
The 1993 VHS release of Aladdin sold 10.6 million copies in its first week.
Toronto won the world series
Dallas won the Superbowl
Florida State won the National Title in Football beating Nebraska
Pete Sampras / Steffie Graf won Wimbledon
In 1993, total Internet traffic amounted to approximately 100 TB for the year. As of June 2008, Cisco Systems estimated Internet traffic at 160 TB/s. In other words, the amount of Internet used per second in 2008 exceeded all of the Internet used in 1993.
One important fact you left out. What was the average cost of a timeshare in 1993?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I was in original TUG too. I took a few years off, then came back in mid 90’s. I had a timeshare since 1981 one week only for a long time. After coming back on TUG I got into the resale purchasing with the guidance of many original TUG members. Congratulations on 28 years! Best timeshare site !
Silentg

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Happy birthday to TUG!

TUG was/is actually one of the very first commercial sites on the Internet and the very first website period relating to Timeshares! not sure how many of you remember back to 1993, but the internet wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. The TUG website is older than any other Timeshare related website (and the vast majority of all websites period!)
That long ago and still TUG.com was taken already? what is the reasoning behind the current domain name of TUG2.net?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to TUG. Wishing you many, many more birthdays.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Happy birthday to TUG!

That long ago and still TUG.com was taken already? what is the reasoning behind the current domain name of TUG2.net?

same gentleman still owns tug.com...its a site for kites!

I am pretty sure I send an email to the owner every year offering to buy the domain and host his site for free forever...but the offer is always declined or goes unanswered.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Happy Anniversary TUG. My favorite website. :thumbup:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I am pretty sure I send an email to the owner every year offering to buy the domain and host his site for free forever...but the offer is always declined or goes unanswered.
Has anyone tried selling you timeshareusersgroup.com? I see it is just a parked domain that was registered in 2002. They would really only have one target buyer, so not sure why they continue to renew it year after year.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Wow I remember Prodigy and the wine tasting bbs I was on after moving to San Francisco. It would take another 10 years to buy a TS and more to find TUG. Thank you Brian for pulling all of us and this incredible amount of knowledge together.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, I would highly recommend the tv show Halt and Catch Fire, a fictionalized series about the early days of computing and the web. Originally on AMC, I think it’s still on Netflix. As someone whose spouse got his first web job in 1996, I think you’ll like it as much as we did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good luck and never stop trying, that gentleman may cave in one day. This is another unknown history fact about this website name.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats and Happy Birthday TUG!! I have enjoyed and learned so much from all the contributors. Great dialogues, questions, categories...its really the Go to site for ant timeshare owners. I'm so glad I was told about it. I looked it up and never looked back. It's become part of my routine for trip/ts planning. To many years ahead.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone tried selling you timeshareusersgroup.com? I see it is just a parked domain that was registered in 2002. They would really only have one target buyer, so not sure why they continue to renew it year after year.
id guess its a competitor tbh... cant really do anything with it due to the name etc other than keep us from having it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian, I would highly recommend the tv show Halt and Catch Fire, a fictionalized series about the early days of computing and the web. Originally on AMC, I think it’s still on Netflix. As someone whose spouse got his first web job in 1996, I think you’ll like it as much as we did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually graduated FSU in 1997 and my first job was with America online in reston virginia! never in a million years thought id end up in IT at the time, I did NOT enjoy the computer science track at FSU although it probably takes a special soul to enjoy learning C at 18!