• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TS Owners Don't shoot yourself in the foot-HELP your trading power!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with JordynMari, who did not btw specifically suggest anybody falsify any comment cards.

I disagree - what she said was -

to me that means give good scores regardless of whether they deserve it or not, I would much rather give NO score than misrepresent my experience.

Oops, you're right. I must have gotten distracted and totally did not read that last sentence! My bad! :doh:

So...I now agree that it's best to simply not file a comment card in such a case. And yes, tell the mgmt they need to fix the problems.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never had the problem of not being able to trade into a lesser resort because I deposited a gold crown for trade. I have always had options from gold crown to not rated resorts offered to me after I deposited a GC week.

I have had several gold crown trades offered to me from weeks I deposited that were hospitality weeks. I have also traded one bed rooms for 2 bed rooms. One of my best trades was a silver crown studio deposited for a 2 bed room gold crown trade for the exact week and location I needed. This is of course the exception to the rule but it does happen.

I have traded up and down many times on RCI. It seems like I tend to have to trade down during peak times and I get to trade up during off seasons. With RCI it is like a crap shoot, but I usually get the location I want if I start to request it far enough in advance.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think what the OP is getting at is that a lower rating could cause for fewer trade requests in to that resort which in turn leads to less demand for that resort and ends up affecting trading power?

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 2 effects:

1 - which I'm sure is what the OP is referring to. VEP score is lowered due to poor performance on comment cards. This in turn is reflected in the trading power of your resort - how much, we don't know.

2 - poor reviews cause other RCI members to request that resort (or accept it as an exchange) less often. While poor reviews would cause such a shift, the comment cards are not made public, so this would not relate to the OP's suggestion of either not sending the comment card in, or falsifying the responses.

Tombo - a high VEP does in fact prevent you from exchanging into resorts with lower VEP scores. Try trading a unit from a resort that truly deserves its Gold Crown rating into a converted motel unit someplace like Cape Cod. You can trade down by season, but not by quality. It is not just a question of being a Gold Crown resort vs. unrated. I bet most of the unrated resorts that were offered to you were still pretty nice (and maybe even deserving of Gold Crown, but for a lack of certain amenities).