• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to get up to speed..

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have traded into a lot of Marriotts and they always seem to be our
favorite resorts. So just when we had decided to go ahead
and buy a Marriott week, the 'changes' happened. I've been haunting
this board reading everything, but I still find it quite confusing. If
I were to buy a resale week (and don't want points) would I still get
some sort of priority in trading into other Marriotts ? Would I still trade
through II or is there an internal week exchange system? Is it now
hard to get what you want if you are a weeks owner?
Sorry , I'm sure this has all been covered before, but I'm on information overload!
Thanks, Deb from NC

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb,

If you purchased a resale week now, you can certainly use II to trade. Getting priority for another marriott resort is possible, assuming the inventory you are looking for is available.

Remember the best advise is to buy where you want and can realistically afford to go each year.

When you decide to trade through II or by any other means, priority and equivalency is in the eye of the beholder. There are no guarantees of either when you trade.

Hopefully others can offer their recommendations as well.

Good luck!

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks....is there a certain amount of time in II when only Marriott owners
can see other Marriott resorts?

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
......If I were to buy a resale week (and don't want points) would I still get
Sorry , I'm sure this has all been covered before, but I'm on information overload!
Thanks, Deb from NC

Deb-
I believe the internal Marriott preference that you alluded to is a 24 day period for Marriott owners only.
The link below is from the TUG "sticky" post for Marriott, found on the Marriott board. Other informative owner stuff there as well.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487

Not sure on overall satisfaction level of current Marriott "legacy" or weeks owners that exchange their weeks through II. Many variables would seem to affect the process, chances of obtaining your target exchange.
As you are aware, those buying legacy weeks from previous owners would be unable to participate in points program and exchange through Destinations Club (MDC).
Good advice was provided above regarding buy a week at resort you would likely enjoy if unable to exchange through II.
There are still many good deals out there for weeks. good luck.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks..I obviously need to do a lot more reading! At the moment, I'm thinking I may
be better off just to keep what I have and be happy with the occasional
Marriott exchange (or rental). But I sure did love Shadow Ridge! :)

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
We have traded into a lot of Marriotts and they always seem to be our
favorite resorts. So just when we had decided to go ahead
and buy a Marriott week, the 'changes' happened. I've been haunting
this board reading everything, but I still find it quite confusing. If
I were to buy a resale week (and don't want points) would I still get
Thanks, Deb from NC

Hi Deb, I am a new Marriott owner (closed on Ko Olina and Ocean Pointe this year) so it kind of sounded like my situation last Dec. My opinion, not that it matters, is if you guys had enjoyed the Marriotts, therefore know the product, don't let the point thing scare you. As far as being a new owner, I don't see where the "changes" affect me (maybe so if I had been say a ten year owner). As I look each day in II.....I see a bonanza of places if I were ready to deal more in 2012 (my Ko Olina starts in 2013 and I am working on a perhaps a 4 week journey). I got the 4th of July 2012 reserved for both sides of my lockout at Ocean Pointe before I gave the closing agent the first dime!:cheer: If you like Marriotts you probably should make a move.......if you love Marriotts you need to dive right in now (resale). :whoopie:

Jim

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Thanks..I obviously need to do a lot more reading! At the moment, I'm thinking I may
be better off just to keep what I have and be happy with the occasional
Marriott exchange (or rental). But I sure did love Shadow Ridge! :)

Oh, and BTW, I have/am giving some away to make room for my Marriotts! Didn't mean you should overload....but dive in as practical!

Jim

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Deb, I am a new Marriott owner (closed on Ko Olina and Ocean Pointe this year) so it kind of sounded like my situation last Dec. My opinion, not that it matters, is if you guys had enjoyed the Marriotts, therefore know the product, don't let the point thing scare you. As far as being a new owner, I don't see where the "changes" affect me (maybe so if I had been say a ten year owner). As I look each day in II.....I see a bonanza of places if I were ready to deal more in 2012 (my Ko Olina starts in 2013 and I am working on a perhaps a 4 week journey). I got the 4th of July 2012 reserved for both sides of my lockout at Ocean Pointe before I gave the closing agent the first dime!:cheer: If you like Marriotts you probably should make a move.......if you love Marriotts you need to dive right in now (resale). :whoopie:

Jim

How were you able to reserve July 2012. That's gold season, which I have at Ocean Pointe, and when I try to reserve online, it won't allow me to until May.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, I have/am giving some away to make room for my Marriotts! Didn't mean you should overload....but dive in as practical!

Jim

Just what I was thinking about doing !! I'm still tempted .....:)

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
How were you able to reserve July 2012. That's gold season, which I have at Ocean Pointe, and when I try to reserve online, it won't allow me to until May.

This could have been reserved anytime starting in June /July 2011 on.

Are you trying to exchange back into Ocean Pointe with a late deposit from II that can only see inventory within 60 days of check in?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Deb-
If there is a place you'd like to go half the time or so, then now is a great time to buy resale. You still get the Marriott trading preference in II, and many people are still thrilled with their trades.

Of course, the happiest owners are those who have some flexibility wrt travel plans. Flexchange inventory still abounds and you can get some amazing deals last minute, if that's an option for you. Of course, being realistic in your expectations makes for much happier owners- that is, if you buy a high property/season and reserve a high demand week you will be more likely to get one in exchange. Similarly, you're more likely to get a 2BR with a 2BR. Although (esp. during Flexchange) many owners are able to nab 2 and even 3BR units with a studio, outside of Flex those upgrade exchanges are less commonplace, although they still do happen. If you buy with the anticipation of getting prime uptrades ever year you will likely be disappointed, but if you consider yourself lucky on the occasional nab you will be much happier with your ownership. The more flexibility you have with your travel plans the more likely uptrading will be; many owners are very happy trading like for like though and getting to experience different places by trading in II.

So if you are realistic in your expectations buying a resale unit can be a great buy and, imho, better than the points system for many owners- esp. at today's economy driven depressed prices.

Others will disagree, but as the economy rebounds and as Marriott needs more inventory to sell points for, I anticipate an increase in ROFR and a likely increase in resale prices, so that the occasional great buys that slip through on Ebay may become a thing of the past. Now may be the best time to buy.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Hi Sissy.....I purchased (Ebay) an OP gold season in Feb. and asked the closing agent to make a reservation for me before we started the closing process. Within 24 hours (IIRC) they had given me my first choice for the master side and second choice for the lockoff side. They both ended up being the 4th of July. This was all done in anticipation of me being an owner at OP which happened fairly quickly.

Jim

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, for the great information. I would be perfectly happy trading
"even", and when we retire (in about 2 years) we'll have much more flexibility in our travel plans. We love to go to the West Coast at least once a year, and we fell in love with the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area while
we were there. We've been thinking that it might be nice to own a week there..I guess we would want platinum season.. If we used it most of the time, but traded maybe once every 3 years, do you think we could get a good trade with that? (For example, Lake Tahoe in summer ? )
Deb

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Thanks all, for the great information. I would be perfectly happy trading
"even", and when we retire (in about 2 years) we'll have much more flexibility in our travel plans. We love to go to the West Coast at least once a year, and we fell in love with the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area while
we were there. We've been thinking that it might be nice to own a week there..I guess we would want platinum season.. If we used it most of the time, but traded maybe once every 3 years, do you think we could get a good trade with that? (For example, Lake Tahoe in summer ? )
Deb

I've gotten Marriott's Timberlodge in Lake Tahoe for July with a silver Barony Beach week so don't think you'd have any problem trading into Lake Tahoe with a Platinum Palm Springs week, probably just using either the studio or 1-bedroom.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Deb- and don't forget, with retirement comes increased flexibility. Buying a 2BR lockout where you'd like to go a lot of the time would be ideal. You might find that you opt to use the 1BR at your home resort and trade the studio side, with the ability to get some great last minute deals if you want to go that route.

Just make sure that when you want to trade, you reserve a high demand week according to II's TDI in the Palm Spring/Palm Desert area and if you request a year in advance and with a range of available dates you should be pretty confident that you will get what you want most times, and as I said during Flexchange especially you can really luck out with some great uptrades.