• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Try to Cancel My WestGate Need Help!!!!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
All's well that ends well.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
think things like this through and do my research before jumping into something.

Awesome! Now you can take your time to research all the ins and outs, ups and downs of owning a timeshare. There are many aspects to it that need lots of time to consider. Maybe even rent from a current owner for your next trip to see if timeshares are right for you.

mily

Reaction score
HI. My husband and I recently went to the Orlando Westgate Resort Sunday and cancelled on Monday. We signed a contract to purchase a timeshare after 6 hours of listening to the salesman. The next day we went upstairs to cancel, had another pushy salesman trying to convince us of buying something for less. We declined and requested to cancel. I put it in writing to cancel the contract per FL statute with my right to cancel the contract. The only thing I received from them was a copy of my own letter stating they received their cheap tablet and binder and date items were received. They did not sign it nor did they put any information of their information on it. Do you think I still have to send another letter through USPS certified with a copy of my letter again? They took the copy of the contract and everything else. From what I do recall the contract said I could cancel in writing or other means.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI. My husband and I recently went to the Orlando Westgate Resort Sunday and cancelled on Monday. We signed a contract to purchase a timeshare after 6 hours of listening to the salesman. The next day we went upstairs to cancel, had another pushy salesman trying to convince us of buying something for less. We declined and requested to cancel. I put it in writing to cancel the contract per FL statute with my right to cancel the contract. The only thing I received from them was a copy of my own letter stating they received their cheap tablet and binder and date items were received. They did not sign it nor did they put any information of their information on it. Do you think I still have to send another letter through USPS certified with a copy of my letter again? They took the copy of the contract and everything else. From what I do recall the contract said I could cancel in writing or other means.
Is your peace of mind worth the price of a letter and stamp? I thought so. Send one. You'll sleep better.- and have irrefutable proof. Congratulations!

Jim

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
A letter, a stamp, and registered mail, return receipt requested.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use certified mail, not registered mail as incorrectly suggested above. They are not the same thing and certified mail is what should be used for the rescission correspondence.

Yes, sorry! WackyLucy is correct!

mily

Reaction score
Use certified mail, not registered mail as incorrectly suggested above. They are not the same thing and certified mail is what should be used for the rescission correspondence.
Thanks all done. Now it's wait time.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now it's wait time.

In the meantime, you would be well advised to not answer any incoming calls from unknown sources; there may be last ditch efforts by disappointed and hungry sales weasels to attempt to get you to change your mind. No possible good can come from any such (legally meaningless) phone conversations. Also, do not initiate any "follow up" calls to check on the status of your rescission; you won't get a straight (...and maybe not even an honest) response. They don't have to inform you of their progress at any time. Their only legal obligation is to process your properly and timely submitted rescission and issue 100% refund within 45 days. Refund will likely occur sooner than that, but could lawfully take up to 45 days. Wastegate has on occasion just barely met that 45 days deadline, according to the past TUG posts of others.

Contract rescission is a matter of state law, not one of voluntary developer kindness or benevolence. Stay off the phone on this matter and just let the law do its' work for you. No developer in the U.S. has the audacity to flaunt that particular law by not complying with a contract rescission properly and timely submitted to the correct address.

You're a lucky lady. You probably have learned that your Wastegate purchase would essentially be worthless in the resale market the moment your rescission period expired. Good job and well done. :clap:

Last edited:

Murali

Reaction score
Hi I really appreciate the information provided here. I was able to cancel my timeshare (it was in Orlando, Florida) by sending a letter. The refund was credited to my account 10 days after I mailed the letter through certified mail. I even got a letter from them confirming my cancellation.

This is the text I used in the letter. ( I took out the personal information.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timeshare Rescission Letter

To
Westgate Vacation Villas LLC,
A Florida limited Liability Company
2801 Old Winter Garden Road, Ocoee FL 34761

We, xxxx and yyyy, exercise our legal right to cancel the contract # ********* dated 10/09/2018. The timeshare we are cancelling is a two bedroom Standard, one week floating unit at so-and-so location.

At the time of our purchase, we put down, $**** as payment. We expect a full refund of our deposit, as soon as possible. Do not make any additional charges to our credit card. Please confirm our legal rescission in writing.

Sincerely,
xxxx & yyyy
my signature here wife's signature here
10/15/2018 10/15/2018

<My contact information>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this information helps others.

Thanks,

-Murali

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I even got a letter from them confirming my cancellation....Please confirm our legal rescission in writing.

That's great that you were able to get your purchase rescinded. And it's a bonus that you received a confirmation letter. But just for the record, the companies are not obligated to confirm the rescission.

Intuition2019

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
So I sent my letter out today and at the pose office The Old Winter Garden address did not show up, when doing more research I found a different address, as well as an address on my membership card I am planning on sending the letter to the new found address as well just to help cover myself. Did their address change or is this just another office.
What address do I write to? I'm 32 hours out from signing my contract? TIA

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
What address do I write to? I'm 32 hours out from signing my contract? TIA

Does your contract have the rescission instructions with the address? How much was your TS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw where they had a different address, did the address change?
If you don't mind my asking, what was the total price of your rescinded TS?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw where they had a different address, did the address change?
The Old Winter Garden Road address is the one listed for Wastegate's offices. Trust me, if it's changed, the mail will be forwarded. Note 'Recission Dep't' on the envelope.

Intuition2019

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
If in doubt send the certified letter to BOTH addresses. This way you've covered yourself!

It may cost you a little more postage but you'll sleep better when you are done.

Is there a known phone number to them? Mine is through westgate in Kissimmee Florida

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a known phone number to them? Mine is through westgate in Kissimmee Florida

Why do you need a phone number? The ONLY legal way to cancel a timeshare purchase (if you are in within the rescission period) is to notify them via Certified Mail.

You DO NOT want to speak with them at all. That phone call "could" turn into a sales call and they will try to talk you out of rescinding.

You only have so many days in which to do this so get on it immediately. You will save thousands upon thousands of hard earned dollars! Buy a resale instead right here from TUG Classifieds (Marketplace).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may have purchased in Kissimmee, but the business office that processed rescissions is in Ocoee, FL. You DO NOT want to talk to these people. Nothing good can come from that.- at least if you REALLY want to rescind.

Jim

Kimmi592

Reaction score
Ok now I’m worried that I did something wrong with cancelling. I didn’t look at the CD because I don’t have a CD drive and I don’t know if there were any other papers in the binder about cancelling. There was a paragraph in the actual contact, which I found hidden in the back of the binder, that said just to write a letter and send it to the old winter garden address and I sent the materials they gave me to that too. I included our names, address, contract number, saying we want to cancel, and we signed it. Is this sufficient? I’m on day 2 of of my 10 day period.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok now I’m worried that I did something wrong with cancelling. I didn’t look at the CD because I don’t have a CD drive and I don’t know if there were any other papers in the binder about cancelling. There was a paragraph in the actual contact, which I found hidden in the back of the binder, that said just to write a letter and send it to the old winter garden address and I sent the materials they gave me to that too. I included our names, address, contract number, saying we want to cancel, and we signed it. Is this sufficient? I’m on day 2 of of my 10 day period.

I believe you will be fine, HOWEVER, if you will sleep better at night then do it again. Send it via Certified Mail, and do not answer any phone calls you receive from them as it will likely be disguised as a sales call (or to talk you out of rescinding).

Sharp call on your part to rescind! TUG members will be very proud of your decision to stay away from Wastegate!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Send certified. Be sure both you and your SO or spouse sign. What state did you purchase? The state in which you purchase may give you only 5 date. What was the price of your Ts?