• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trust Inventory in Interval International

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ran a search for any Trust inventory in Interval International for the next 13 months.

I searched using 4500 year 2012 Trust points which according to the II TDI index should snag a 2-bedroom high demand week.

Results:

Not a single unit anywhere in the world. Tried all II search options including specific resorts. Not a thing showed up.

Obviously, there is plenty of this inventory in Marriott's DC but its interesting I could not get a single hit from Interval.

Would my search have generated any better outcomes if I had actually deposited the points first?

Do any other TUGers out there have experience in performing such searches using Trust Points instead of weeks?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
FT, I don't have any Trust Points so your post is a bit over my head. I just had to post and say I'm glad your back and weren't chased away by the reactions in the other thread.

Is your conclusion to this search that all high-demand Marriott inventory is being absorbed by Marriott? Are they doing this on an "as needed" basis to fulfill DC requests or are they hoarding? If so, my initial reaction (and it is a reaction) would be for owner's to have a writing campaign telling them this is not what they promised when they introduced the DC. Marriott said current owners could join the DC but still use their weeks as they always had. Hoarding would be nasty business.

Last edited:

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be because you can't use DC points to snag trust inventory through II - I think you have to use the DC system for those Marriott to Marriott exchanges. That said, I would have expected some European or Asian properties to show up. Could be this adds weight to the rumours that European and Asian properties are to be brought into the DC system from June and the search function has been amended in anticipation.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
FT, I don't have any Trust Points so your post is a bit over my head. I just had to post and say I'm glad your back and weren't chased away by the reactions in the other thread.

Is your conclusion to this search that all high-demand Marriott inventory is being absorbed by Marriott? Are they doing this on an "as needed" basis to fulfill DC requests or are they hoarding? If so, my initial reaction (and it is a reaction) would be for owner's to have a writing campaign telling them this is not what they promised when they introduced the DC. Marriott said current owners could join the DC but still use their weeks as they always had. Hoarding would be nasty business.

Thanks.

My thread on Gift of a Lifetime was actually intended to be complimentary since I think it was a good thing Marriott did at the time for ALL owners. IMHO.

Regrettably, many folks jumped to wild conclusions on what’s being said to quickly and reacted very defensively based upon their interpretation of the post. It’s an understandable reaction in the age of the internet.

As for the timing of the post, there are still some legacy owners out there who could possibly take advantage of the DC enrollment and the “Gift of a Lifetime” prior to the big price increase in June. Nothing more, nothing less.

I could care less what status folks have or how they purchased. Its all about how to get the best usage from the system!

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be because you can't use DC points to snag trust inventory through II - I think you have to use the DC system for those Marriott to Marriott exchanges. That said, I would have expected some European or Asian properties to show up. Could be this adds weight to the rumours that European and Asian properties are to be brought into the DC system from June and the search function has been amended in anticipation.

answeeney, thanks!

I do actually own the Trust Points so I thought maybe Marriott had deposited some trust inventory into Interval for owners who are interested in such a scenario.

This would be a conceivable usage option for brand new Marriott owners since they have been selling points now for 2 years.

BTW: I was not able to see any non-marriott inventory which was the focus of my search (i.e. to see if my trust points could access non-marriott properties) in Interval. I know I can get the marriott inventory from the DC.

Somehow, I think the interface between Marriott and Interval for exchanging Trust points and reservations is not working.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thanks.

My thread on Gift of a Lifetime was actually intended to be complimentary since I think it was a good thing Marriott did at the time for ALL owners. IMHO.

Regrettably, many folks jumped to wild conclusions on what’s being said to quickly and reacted very defensively based upon their interpretation of the post. It’s an understandable reaction in the age of the internet.

As for the timing of the post, there are still some legacy owners out there who could possibly take advantage of the DC enrollment and the “Gift of a Lifetime” prior to the big price increase in June. Nothing more, nothing less.

I could care less what status folks have or how they purchased. Its all about how to get the best usage from the system!

I agree - usage value is the name of the game. But I wish you would have posted this follow-up over in that thread, because you did leave some folks confused over there. I was one who answered you defensively - wasn't sure how else to answer when your question was, "I wonder how Developer purchased customers must have felt when they heard this news?"

The "accusations" about you being a Marriott employee? I don't understand those, but for some folks that seems to be a fairly common charge leveled whenever somebody comes here with a new point of view. :shrug:

answeeney, thanks!

I do actually own the Trust Points so I thought maybe Marriott had deposited some trust inventory into Interval for owners who are interested in such a scenario.

This would be a conceivable usage option for brand new Marriott owners since they have been selling points now for 2 years.

BTW: I was not able to see any non-marriott inventory which was the focus of my search (i.e. to see if my trust points could access non-marriott properties) in Interval. I know I can get the marriott inventory from the DC.

Somehow, I think the interface between Marriott and Interval for exchanging Trust points and reservations is not working.

Hmmmm. The 2012-2013 Resort Directory had a pretty good two-page spread about using Marriott Weeks and DC Points for exchanges. Of course it doesn't include every detail about inventory controls but it doesn't say anything about II Points exchanges maybe requiring you to Deposit First. These types of exchanges are done through the DC World Traveler Collection - maybe the finer details are somewhere in the Trust-related documents? Or have you called your VOA for an explanation and some direction?

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree - usage value is the name of the game. But I wish you would have posted this follow-up over in that thread, because you did leave some folks confused over there. I was one who answered you defensively - wasn't sure how else to answer when your question was, "I wonder how Developer purchased customers must have felt when they heard this news?"

The "accusations" about you being a Marriott employee? I don't understand those, but for some folks that seems to be a fairly common charge leveled whenever somebody comes here with a new point of view. :shrug:

Hmmmm. The 2012-2013 Resort Directory had a pretty good two-page spread about using Marriott Weeks and DC Points for exchanges. Of course it doesn't include every detail about inventory controls but it doesn't say anything about II Points exchanges maybe requiring you to Deposit First. These types of exchanges are done through the DC World Traveler Collection - maybe the finer details are somewhere in the Trust-related documents? Or have you called your VOA for an explanation and some direction?

Sue, Thanks!

My trust documents do say that trust points can be exchanged for other non-Marriott Resorts through Interval International. Yes, today they are calling this the World Traveler Collection within the DC. But how this actually works is anyones guess today.

I will call my VOA at some point to get clarification. I’m afraid they will just tell me to use my legacy weeks to get non-Marriott reservations through Interval. This is not the usage scenario I’m trying to explore though.

The fact remains that for a brand new Trust Points owner that is new to Marriott and has no legacy weeks in the game, they have to be able to exchange their points for non-Marriott properties.

I’m not even sure they have worked all this out yet as the last 2 years has been focused primarily on getting legacy owners to enroll in the DC.

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score
FT - if you're not getting any non Marriott inventory showing then that is indeed worrying.

My own brief experiments with searching via points have been very unsatisfactory too. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and someone out there can point out what. Anyway, searches with my non Marriott II account show lots of inventory. When I tried searching with points via my corporate account I was only given the option of a search with 2012 usage and that produced nothing but that maybe because I have no 2012 points left! But why couldn't I search with 2013 usage as I still have a healthy remaining points balance during that use year?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you're on to something when you say that the interface probably isn't working yet. For what it's worth, the II-mag spread does say, "Visit IntervalWorld.com or call your VOA Team for assistance with using your VC Points to confirm a World Traveler Collection vacation or to place a request." That "... or call your VOA Team ..." wording has been standard throughout all the processes since the DC rollout, prior to online access.

I've tried to scan the II-magazine spread but as usual, the printer/scanner is giving me fits. (Why does this stuff never work as easily as they tell you it will?! :crash: ) Not sure if this very basic info will help but I can type it out if you want it?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I said in my last post that this thread was over my head. Boy oh boy I was really off in a wrong direction.

:ignore:

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Marriott paterned this point to II interface after the DVC model, as we've seen in other portions of DC setup, then it would probablly work like this. Marriott wants all point to Marriott week trades to go through the DC point system. The point to II exchange would only be for non-Marriott properties. There is a fixed grid to convert your points to a week exchange based on size and demand.

DVC Charges 270 (I believe thats the right number) points for a 2-bedroom exchange in RCI, but all the DVC resorts are blocked. This prevents a member from exchanging into a room that would normally cost 350 pts for the lower 270 points. HGVC members do this frequently to get into low demand or high supply HGVC resorts. A Platnum HGVC week is 7000 pts but if you can get it through RCI it will only cost 4800 pts. HGVC does block HGVC members from seeing the inventory until 9 months out. This is why it only works in low demand or high inventory areas.

It only makes sense for Marriott to block the Marriott inventory. They don't want you to obtain a prime week at a discount.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It only makes sense for Marriott to block the Marriott inventory. They don't want you to obtain a prime week at a discount.

This is exactly correct. You can't use DC points (legacy or trust) to trade for Marriott weeks in II. That is what the new DC Exchange Company is for through MVCI. Using points to trade through II is for non-Marriott properties only or perhaps those in Europe and Asia since they are not part of the Destinations Club.

The OP got exactly the results of their search that I would have expected. Searching using a week in II for other Marriott's returns plenty of results. So the inventory is there, it just can't be seen with trust or legacy points in II.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It makes sense that any Marriott inventory in II is blocked for using DC Points, but the OP hasn't been able to see any non-Marriott inventory either.

He's correct that any Trust Points owners should be able to use their Points in the World Traveler Collection through II. So far the only thing that makes sense is what he said, that the interface may not be working yet. I hope if/when he calls II or his VOA that he updates this thread.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exactly correct. You can't use DC points (legacy or trust) to trade for Marriott weeks in II. That is what the new DC Exchange Company is for through MVCI. Using points to trade through II is for non-Marriott properties only or perhaps those in Europe and Asia since they are not part of the Destinations Club.

The OP got exactly the results of their search that I would have expected. Searching using a week in II for other Marriott's returns plenty of results. So the inventory is there, it just can't be seen with trust or legacy points in II.

For the record, the search did not return any non-marriott inventory either.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
I am not a DC member. But these is one thing I have wondered about over the last couple of years. Why does it cost so many Trust/DC points to trade into a non-Marriott using DC points?

This is the Trust Points Chart for Non-Marriott exchanges:

TDI Range Full-Week Exchange Values of Vacation Club Points
.......................Studio......1-Bdrm.....2-Bdrm......3-Bdrm.....4-Bdrm
Peak..140-150.....2,250........3,000.......4,500........6,000.......7,000
High...115-135....1,750........2,750.......4,000........5,000.......6,000
Med.....90-110....1,500........2,250.......3,000........4,000.......5,000
Low.....50-85......1,000........1,500.......2,250........3,000.......4,000

This shows that in order to exchange into ANY Non Marriott on Hilton Head in the summer months would cost at least 4,500 points. Marriott is willing to give me 1150 points for my 2 bedroom summer week at Harbour Point. So it would take 4 years of points at my Marriott resort to exchange into ANY OTHER Hilton Head 2 bedroom at the same time of year! Or , it would cost a Trust member $1845 in maintenance fees to exchange in, no mater what the quality rating of that resort is.

How can Trust owners accept this?:shrug:

Ray

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a DC member. But these is one thing I have wondered about over the last couple of years. Why does it cost so many Trust/DC points to trade into a non-Marriott using DC points?

My guess is that they don't want you to stay anywhere other than Marriott.

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge

This made me laugh. I daresay most don't pay any attention to any of these "accusations," and they should be interpreted more as, "Wow, you really <3 Marriott so much that it is incomprehensible to me!"

So it would take 4 years of points at my Marriott resort to exchange into ANY OTHER Hilton Head 2 bedroom at the same time of year! Or , it would cost a Trust member $1845 in maintenance fees to exchange in, no mater what the quality rating of that resort is.

Ray

Your resort is on the low end of the totem pole for point allocation, so yeah, you have one of the weeks that would be insane to *ever* convert to DC points (whether you join or not). On the other hand, the HH properties located on the beach have some of the best point allocations in the DC system.

As for the price trust members pay to exchange in II, they also pay a pretty large price for almost everything unless they are after off-view/off-season stays.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is the Trust Points Chart for Non-Marriott exchanges:

TDI Range Full-Week Exchange Values of Vacation Club Points
.......................Studio......1-Bdrm.....2-Bdrm......3-Bdrm.....4-Bdrm
Peak..140-150.....2,250........3,000.......4,500........6,000.......7,000
High...115-135....1,750........2,750.......4,000........5,000.......6,000
Med.....90-110....1,500........2,250.......3,000........4,000.......5,000
Low.....50-85......1,000........1,500.......2,250........3,000.......4,000

This shows that in order to exchange into ANY Non Marriott on Hilton Head in the summer months would cost at least 4,500 points. Marriott is willing to give me 1150 points for my 2 bedroom summer week at Harbour Point. So it would take 4 years of points at my Marriott resort to exchange into ANY OTHER Hilton Head 2 bedroom at the same time of year! Or , it would cost a Trust member $1845 in maintenance fees to exchange in, no mater what the quality rating of that resort is.

Ray

My guess is that they don't want you to stay anywhere other than Marriott.

This appears to be in line with how DVC (Disney) worked when its exchange company was II. Owners there said it was too costly (in Points terms, of course) to exchange out of the DVC resorts. They're with RCI now, don't know if the exchange rate to non-DVC resorts is any better or worse.

Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, when DVC was with II it was through a corporate account and the Owners didn't have direct access. They always had to call in to a rep to search for available inventory and make exchange reservations. (Plus, DVC rated the II resorts and would not allow DVC Points to be used for exchanges to what they considered "inferior" resorts.)

If you remember when the DC was first rolled out, a similar II corporate-account system was in place and we enrolled Weeks owners didn't have online access. Marriott and II worked it out several weeks later, presumably in response to many complaints, so that we got the same access to our new accounts as we'd had with our old. Wonder if something similar is in play for DC Trust Members?

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
So just for comparison purposes here's what the new DVC RCI table looks like. 1 DVC point is roughly equivelant to 10 DC points. DVC members still do not have individual RCI accounts, so we have no online access, no access to getaways or other RCI benifits. DVC still filters the resorts available to members for similar quality.

...................1-bed 2-bed
Low (Blue)...... 124... 207
Mid (White) ... 144... 252
High (Red) ..... 160... 270

So it looks like its now cheaper to do a RCI exchange, but its thought of as poor value. You can rent out your points for $10-$13/pt and rent a place.

I think HGVC might be the point system with the best external trades. HGVC 2-bedrooms cost them 5000 (gold) 7000 (plat), but a RCI trade is 4800 any season.

Last edited: