• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tropical Storm Historical Tracking Map

S

Steamboat Bill

Check this bad boy out....where is Florida

Tropical Storm Historical Tracking Map - 1851-2006

at200809_climo.gif

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Does it make you feel like the deer in Larson's famous Far Side cartoon?

mini-LARSON03.JPG

Caption: "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal"

Kurt

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only six of those actually hit Florida in the 55 years charted (1 every 9 years average). Nowadays we have plenty of warning when one is coming. Can those who live in the tornado belt say thatwhen a tornado hits? How about those California earthquakes? How much warning do they give? Thanks, but no thanks, I'll Keep my hurricanes.

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Only six of those actually hit Florida in the 55 years charted (1 every 9 years average). Nowadays we have plenty of warning when one is coming. Can those who live in the tornado belt say that when a tornado hits? How about those California earthquakes? How much warning do they give? Thanks, but no thanks, I'll Keep my hurricanes.

Thank you, Don...my sentiments also, I'd rather live here in FL than in a tornado prone area. I know, we can get them here too...but they are usually associated with the hurricanes. We've been through a few tornado's when we lived in N. IL and Southern WI and, NO Thanks...been there, done that, don't want to go through it again.

S

Steamboat Bill

One good thing (and bad also) is the early warning systems.....Hurricane Ike was headed directly at my home 5 days ago and now there is a possibility that it won;t even produce any rain here.

But the stress of Huricane preparations is getting to people and I hope they never let their guard down. I had a friend that actually spent all day putting up the shutters only to have to take them down again.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have lived in California my entire life and I have only felt 2 earthquakes. One was just a little shake that made you stop and say "Hey did you feel that?!" Another words just strong enough to get your attention but not strong enough to have things falling off the shelves. The other was a very strong one. It was the one in 1989. That was the worst. I think TV gives those that don't live here a picture of terror that for most they rarely if ever see.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Theresa: I agree with you. We had a few more earthquakes than you in So. California, and sure don't like them; but every year it seems like Florida/Gulf have serious threats.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
One good thing (and bad also) is the early warning systems.....Hurricane Ike was headed directly at my home 5 days ago and now there is a possibility that it won;t even produce any rain here.

But the stress of Huricane preparations is getting to people and I hope they never let their guard down. I had a friend that actually spent all day putting up the shutters only to have to take them down again.
That's why I sprung for accordian shutters. Twenty minutes and I'm done. Besides, I don't have to store them anywhere. The only drawback is that they detract from the looks of the house, but at the same time they say that you care about it.

S

Steamboat Bill

I had a friend that actually spent all day putting up the shutters only to have to take them down again.

My friend has decided to leave 80% of the ugly aluminum shutters on his house for another month or two until hurricane season is over.

He lives in a gated community and I expect that the "community commandos" will soon send him a letter as the rules in most gated communities state hurricane shutters can only go up when a Hurricane is coming and must come down within 3 days. I actually like that rule, but it is rarely ever enforced.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
How about those California earthquakes? How much warning do they give? Thanks, but no thanks, I'll Keep my hurricanes.

Well... I'm sure the media does blow Hurricanes out of proportion like earthquakes. I've lived in the Sacramento area for the past 20 years and I've only felt one quake that was centered in SF in 1989. It was just a little tiny shake compared to what they felt. When I lived in the SF bay area I felt maybe 6 quakes there. They were all tiny quakes and very little damage done.

Not all of California is on a earthquake fault.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score

%7E