• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traveling now, getting a hotel room reminds me how great it is to have timeshares

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I just double checked. Yes, it’s at the Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Fredflntstone, you got a bargain and that cost per day. Awesome. Plus, you have a timeshare. Enjoy your stay.

A two bedroom unit and an ocean view. What more can you ask or want.

A Resort or A Timeshare who cares , just sit back and enjoy your villa and that ocean view.
Unfortunately ocean view in some of the units can mean only a sliver view.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I almost got brainwashed reading posts on how much better it is to rent. It has been awhile since I went to my timeshares as family stuff had to be done. Dose of reality this week. No one will convince me renting is better then owning a timeshare overall. Yes, there are those needle in the haystack but not for me.
For us, there is the added benefit of knowing exactly which unit we will be in, exactly where we'll be, etc. I will NEVER trade our late June/early July unit at Cold Spring, unless there is something drastic that happens. And we prefer not to trade our April and December units, though sometimes the calendar shifts make it necessary. I get my dose of "adventure"/exchanging with my October week, and the Extra Vacation/Getaways we pick up.

I hope you have an amazing week of relaxation and WARM (she types from the 10 degree coast of Maine....!)

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
And just got off the phone to them. They emailed me this

Ocean View Two Room Suite King
Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa offers spacious and comfortable accommodations with a soothing contemporary theme perfect for memorable vacations.

This King bed guestroom with an additional separate living/dining area offers views of the Ocean from the furnished balcony.

The room features a luxurious Hilton Serenity Bed, with LED lighting for bedside reading, 55” LCD flat panel TV, Cuisinart single-cup coffeemaker, sofa bed, in-room safe, refrigerator and work desk with a digital panel that allows guests to connect and charge several devices at once. The bathroom features a separate granite vanity area, Peter Thomas Roth bath amenities and a bathtub with deluxe showerhead.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just double checked. Yes, it’s at the Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa.

I would follow up and check it out. If you paid Hilton you should have a phone number. Look at that resorts site (it is not a timeshare), the prices for two bedroom can range $800 a day. A steal if it is actually it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And just got off the phone to them. They emailed me this

Ocean View Two Room Suite King
Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa offers spacious and comfortable accommodations with a soothing contemporary theme perfect for memorable vacations.

This King bed guestroom with an additional separate living/dining area offers views of the Ocean from the furnished balcony.

The room features a luxurious Hilton Serenity Bed, with LED lighting for bedside reading, 55” LCD flat panel TV, Cuisinart single-cup coffeemaker, sofa bed, in-room safe, refrigerator and work desk with a digital panel that allows guests to connect and charge several devices at once. The bathroom features a separate granite vanity area, Peter Thomas Roth bath amenities and a bathtub with deluxe showerhead.

You said two bedroom in your post, two room makes more sense with price. It is a nice place, did your price include tax and resort fee?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I would follow up and check it out. If you paid Hilton you should have a phone number. Look at that resorts site (it is not a timeshare), the prices for two bedroom can range $800 a day. A steal if it is actually it.

Yes, I saw the rack rate and you are right. I do use the rack rate to determine its worth but never, ever pay that.

I have even called the resort in the past that I want to stay at and asked if they have any suites in non performing inventory I can rent. It’s surprising how many times I get a place at a 600 a night rack rate for 200 or less doing that.

Three years ago I did that at Maui Ocean Club and got a 1 bedroom, ocean view for 200 USD a night. Meanwhile, my friend who owns at Maui Ocean Club couldn’t get the same week as I because they said Owner slotted inventory was all booked up. However, he could get a 1 bedroom like mine for the same rate. Hmmmmm. That never made sense to me. He was not happy.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
You said two bedroom in your post, two room makes more sense with price. It is a nice place, did your price include tax and resort fee?

Taxes were included but I still pay 35.00 a night resort fee upon check in.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

Okay. The suite is 680 sq feet. Big enough for me.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Panina, Do you have fixed weeks or floating weeks or a combination?

When I did have timeshares, I preferred fixed weeks because I could plan better. Just from my experience, I found floating weeks a hassle to get the weeks I wanted. I always bought during Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years and Presidents week. Having those weeks also made dumping them easier (except one).

Now, I (so far) have had no trouble (except scouring to find them) getting great places at good prices. Finger

Nice pictures of Key West. I do plan on visiting there too. I have never been there.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
@Panina

Just returned home after a stay at the Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch in San Antonio. It was much nicer than a hotel room. Furthermore, we enjoyed access to all the facilities at the nearby Hyatt Hill Country Resort.

Sorry about the problems you had at The Hampton Inn. We have usually had a good experience at most Hilton facilities. Key West is a difficult exchange. Therefore, we are planning to go via a HHONORS redemption at either The Reach or The Casa Marina.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Panina

Just an idea. Next time you need to fill in some night gaps, you could always call the resort to see if they have any non performing inventory available. Or, you could try redweek, TUG and others to see if you can get a timeshare or nice suite. That way, you aren’t stuck in a hotel room.

You have a great advantage because you know the area well and thus know which resorts you want to stay at and which ones you prefer not to stay at.

Reactions: DrQ

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I almost got brainwashed reading posts on how much better it is to rent. It has been awhile since I went to my timeshares as family stuff had to be done. Dose of reality this week. No one will convince me renting is better then owning a timeshare overall. Yes, there are those needle in the haystack but not for me.

The thing is, people can rent timeshares. We have done so and had some lovely units.

This said, I think for fixed week owners like us we always feel like we are home when we go back to our same unit and same week each year, so I do understand why we all love our timeshares over a cold hotel room.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I may not care too much about the confines of a tiny, cold room in Zermatt, Switzerland,
when standing in the shadow of the Matterhorn... <not my photo, yet>

426849-Kycb.jpg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I may not care too much about the confines of a tiny room in Zermatt, Switzerland,
when standing in the shadow of the Matterhorn... <not my photo, yet>

426849-Kycb.jpg

Incredible!

Travel1

Reaction score
@Panina

Just an idea. Next time you need to fill in some night gaps, you could always call the resort to see if they have any non performing inventory available. Or, you could try redweek, TUG and others to see if you can get a timeshare or nice suite. That way, you aren’t stuck in a hotel room.

You have a great advantage because you know the area well and thus know which resorts you want to stay at and which ones you prefer not to stay at.

What is "non performing inventory"? I hadn't heard that before.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina, Do you have fixed weeks or floating weeks or a combination?

When I did have timeshares, I preferred fixed weeks because I could plan better. Just from my experience, I found floating weeks a hassle to get the weeks I wanted. I always bought during Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years and Presidents week. Having those weeks also made dumping them easier (except one).

Now, I (so far) have had no trouble (except scouring to find them) getting great places at good prices. Finger

Nice pictures of Key West. I do plan on visiting there too. I have never been there.

My Key West weeks are fixed, two weeks January, two weeks November in the same unit. Marco Island 1/2 fixed and 1/2 float, the rest of what I own fixed. All higher demand weeks and areas, all fabulous traders

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina

I called the hotels. It is winter, prime time, I was lucky to get what I got at the prices I got. Most renters of timeshares will not rent for one night, plus no need to in the winter.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
@Panina I feel your pain. I can stay in a hotel room for only a few nights max. A week would be dreadful. I was on the road a lot when I worked for corporate america so staying in a cookie cutter hotel room with a desk when I am trying to vacation feels claustrophobic. I get antsy after a few days because it feels like work. I would be perfectly happy if I never saw the inside of a Courtyard hotel again.

When I was on the road for work I really liked Courtyard by Marriott. It was my first choice. Back then we received travel incentives based on purchases and these were Marriott points that could be used at any Marriott. We stayed at the Grand Cayman Courtyard by Marriott on Seven Mile Beach for a few nights which was not too different than some of the others in nice areas. The Courtyard we used the most for work was next to Lake Union with a Seattle City view of the Space Needle. I kind of miss those days.

Bill

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
What is "non performing inventory"? I hadn't heard that before.

Intervals with active contract MF and other fee paying owners is called performing inventory. Intervals owned by the HOA or developer or defaulted units are called non performing inventory.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
My Key West weeks are fixed, two weeks January, two weeks November in the same unit. Marco Island 1/2 fixed and 1/2 float, the rest of what I own fixed. All higher demand weeks and areas, all fabulous traders

Then it sounds like you have planned your timeshares well. That’s great because then you can milk em to your benefit

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Then it sounds like you have planned your timeshares well. That’s great because then you can milk em to your benefit

I milked em a little too well. Have too many. Need to reduce by 6. That is the easy part, deciding which ones to choose and find new homes for is the hard part. Will work on that this week and then start listing them in the bargain section. :cry:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I milked em a little too well. Have too many. Need to reduce by 6. That is the easy part, deciding which ones to choose and find new homes for is the hard part. Will work on that this week and then start listing them in the bargain section. :cry:

Yes, but what I like about your approach is you planned them to work for you. Many times I find people buy in impulse and then regret the purchase.

Yes, sometimes one needs to clean out the closet. Do I really need those shoes? But...but...but. Sigh, ok they are gone.