• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TRAVEL INSURANCE HORROR STORIES - WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT IT

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope some of you can help me out. We've never purchased travel insurance but are now wanting to do so. Not for just a one time trip but an annual policy. We don't have any plans do international traveling at this time but would go back to St. Thomas and Hawaii.

1. I thought I read other people saying that travel insurance carriers aren't covering anything that can in any way be COVID related. Is this true for your travel insurance company?

2. Are there different types of policies, levels of coverage, and what would you suggest?

3. Who is your travel insurance carrier, have you ever had a claim with them and would you be 100% comfortable in recommending them?

Thanks in advance for any help.
If you catch COVID-19 during travel and need to have medical attention, travel insurance does cover medical. However, you catch COVID before you travel and have to cancel the trip or that the border / country closes doors to travelers, travel insurance would not cover any of the trip cancellation costs.

I have claimed with Allianz for medical and it was fairly painless. I have also claimed through CSR and it was very painful but I got back the full amount, $10K, that I could not get refunded when I cancelled my trip. I have bought GeoBlue annual multi-trip policies for international travel for 2 years but have not had the need to file a claim.

For my upcoming Hawaii trip, I added a cheapo insurance through United when purchasing the tickets. We may go to Spain and Italy towards the end of the year and we will definitely get a medical and evacuation only insurance when we buy our air tickets. I don't worry about losing the trip costs but I don't want to be caught with expensive medical and evacuation expenses.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out insuremytrip online. I've used them several times and you can speak to a receptionist for help. They offer a variety of plans to suit your individual needs.
If you catch COVID-19 during travel and need to have medical attention, travel insurance does cover medical. However, you catch COVID before you travel and have to cancel the trip or that the border / country closes doors to travelers, travel insurance would not cover any of the trip cancellation costs.

I have claimed with Allianz for medical and it was fairly painless. I have also claimed through CSR and it was very painful but I got back the full amount, $10K, that I could not get refunded when I cancelled my trip. I have bought GeoBlue annual multi-trip policies for international travel for 2 years but have not had the need to file a claim.

For my upcoming Hawaii trip, I added a cheapo insurance through United when purchasing the tickets. We may go to Spain and Italy towards the end of the year and we will definitely get a medical and evacuation only insurance when we buy our air tickets. I don't worry about losing the trip costs but I don't want to be caught with expensive medical and evacuation expenses.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I read other people saying that travel insurance carriers aren't covering anything that can in any way be COVID related. Is this true for your travel insurance company?

I don’t know about purchasing insurance “post-Covid.” However, I had Insurance for trips in 2020 and 2021. I had purchased travel insurance that included “cancel for any reason.” When I filled out my claim form the reason I gave was “cancel for any reason.”

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Elara, Paradise, The District, Kings Land; Craigendarroch Suites
Plenty of credit cards with decent to solid insurance included. And you get a lot of other benefits from them while traveling like priority pass and 3-6% back on dining out, hotels. Never understood people willing fork over hundreds or thousands for travel insurance but balk at $250 net for a travel credit card with free coverage, free priority pass, and a ton of other perks.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thought this was helpful. Did a mock quote through them for a possible trip to Mexico in a few months. Seemed reasonable even with CFAR?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of travel insurance that will cover a cancelled trip due to covid travel restrictions? I'm guessing no because technically one could go on trip even if the quarantine rules were excessive.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please take time and read your travel insurance policy and ask questions of the insurance carrier before you purchase the policy. Suggestion only review two (2) or three (3) policies and compare each policy for their strength and short comings.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thought this was helpful. Did a mock quote through them for a possible trip to Mexico in a few months. Seemed reasonable even with CFAR?
Please read this article. IMHO, it will open your eyes.