• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel Guard insurance

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Is Marriott still offering this? For the life of me I can't locate it on their home page.

tomgou

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is under Owner Specials

Travel Protection Designed for Marriott Vacation Club Owners

Owner Travel Insurance Program

Marriott Vacation Club has received many inquiries from Owners regarding travel insurance protection. We listened, and we worked closely with Travel Guard International–the industry’s leading travel insurance provider–to define a travel insurance plan specifically suited to the needs and concerns of our Owners.

As a result, Owners with Marriott Vacation Club and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club can now enroll in AIG Travel Guard’s Owner Travel Insurance Program.

This Program offers coverage for maintenance fees, airline change fees, and other travel expenses, plus it provides you with 24/7 assistance in case of cancelled flights, missed connections, emergency medical evacuations, and many other all-too-common travel situations. Coverage is available whether you’re staying at your Marriott Vacation Club home resort, exchanging within our network of great destinations, or using any of the exchange choices offered by Interval International.

To learn more about this exciting new coverage for your Vacation Ownership or to enroll, call AIG Travel Guard at 1-866-385-4840 or Click here.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Thanks, I just wasn't looking under the correct tab. I had it in my mind that owners specials was where they wanted to sell me another timeshare. It's a shame the website didn't have a basic search function where I could have just typed in the word insurance and it would have taken me where I wanted to go.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Does anyone know if the medical benefits extend to traveling companions who are non-Marriott owners?

FYI- I just called and the answer is that all traveling companions are covered. They suggested that you call and add any traveling companions to the policy if they aren't listed on the reservation. This can be done at any time during the year for the 12-31 day policy. At $105 it is really a good buy for multiple week owners.

Last edited:

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel Guard

Similar to the other post on the Marriott board, we were in a family emergency last summer which might have forced us to cancel our Grande Vista trip. We were advised to purchase the Travel Guard insurance. I will always purchase it from here on.

Be advised that there are restrictions on who is covered. Our daughter, who lives in Spain, and her boyfriend, who is Spanish, were not covered in any way. Our other daughter and her boyfriend who were living in NYC were covered. I wonder if they will be covered when we finally manage to get to Marbella or Playa some day.

I'm just going to confirm the info, but I believe we will be covered for our spring trip to Barony Beach and our early summer trip to Manor Club since those trips are within our contract year. Does anyone know offhand if I have to register these trips with Travel Guard to assure coverage? Not a bad deal for the price. I know our credit card program has some coverage and we recently joined AAA. Some coverage through those too I think.
Deb

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Deb-
As far as I know, you don't have to register any specific trip; you are just covered for up to 31 days of travel in the coverage year.
Were your daughter living in Spain and her boyfriend excluded because of residency or because they weren't listed anywhere as travel companions/guests? From my understanding (I could be wrong) you should either have Marriott list them on the reservation or add anyone traveling with you on the insurance contract. I was told that any traveling companion can be added at a later date.

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told that because they were not residents of the USA they were not covered. I did try and have them registered. Thanks for the response. I was not aware of the 31 day limitation of coverage.

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called today and inquired about insurance. I was informed that the rate is based on the number of weeks you own (not what you trade). I own one week, a three bedroom lockoff that I split for two weeks. I only have to pay the rate or $65 to have coverage for the year. This would apply to either weeks of travel. You do not need to register your week(s) of travel. You do, however, need to purchase the insurance a minimum of 14 days prior to your travel. Sounds like a good deal to me. I asked about coverage for "getaways" and "ac" travel. It doesn't sound as if this is covered. Either way, I think I'm going to take advantage of this deal.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a lame question, but I couldn't find the answer on the site either...
Is that price, "per person"??
Thanks

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
We were told that because they were not residents of the USA they were not covered. I did try and have them registered. Thanks for the response. I was not aware of the 31 day limitation of coverage.

They cover Canadians at least. Gal told me it was $105 a year after I told her I had 6 Marriott weeks. Didn't mention anything about 31 days of hholidays -- just that it was for a year. Will have to investigate further.

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many it would cover, but I put in four people and it covered all of us for the $65.

Susan

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Covers all your travel companions for the same fee.
According to the site, 1-12 days of travel is $65 and 13-31 is $102 (+ a $3 fee).

Brian- Although it may not allow you to cancel/collect on all 6 weeks, since you don't have to specify the travel dates, you'd be covered if you needed it for up to 4 I guess.

Susan- that's interesting that they are considering a single owned week locked off into two trips still as a single week.

Getaways are not covered, but I wonder about an AC if it was generated by a Marriott deposit; anyone know definitively? I know any week traded for your owned Marriott week in II is covered. They ascribe the value of the week as the MF's, so I can see that since you still have/had use of the original week if using an AC that that could be an issue. Some of the other benefits (such as the emergency medical benefits) though would be nice to retain.

indyhorizons

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. So I decided to look at this and in the FAQ found the following:

Trip Cancellation & Interruption: Covers your Maintenance/ Exchange Fee if you must cancel or interrupt your trip for covered reasons such as sickness, injury or death to you, your traveling companion or a family member; severe weather; required to serve on jury duty or if your principal residence is made uninhabitable. For a complete list of covered reasons for cancellation, please refer to the Description of Coverage (DOC).

The exchange fee for Marriott domestic exchange is $99. How would it asisst me in getting this back in event of a trip cancellation? Am I missings something? I totally don't see the advantage from a cancellation or trip interruption basis, how this would help me. There is also reference to refund of pre-paid fees (timeshares are in a sense prepaid), but how does one asses a value on your week if you have to cancel?

JoePa

TUG Member
Reaction score
One More Travel Guard question

Hi All,

Does travel guard provide medical coverage for medical treatment for pre-existing conditions? For instance, say you've been diagnosed with MS, ALS, etyc. and needed to go to the hospital while on vacation outside the US. Would that be covered?

We have a friend who is currently trying to get an answer to that question. I believe his best bet would be to call travel guard but wanted to ask here first.

Thx... Joe :cool:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joe- From what I read it does, but of course calling and checking would be best. If you find out anything differently, please post back.

indyhorizons- The cancellation coverage refunds your annual MF's and exchange fees if traded; I would doubt they would credit any other value to your week (even though you are right in that timeshare weeks have an additional value, otherwise why would we have paid for them). That said, I think for most people a deposit into II rather than using the insurance is more beneficial.

However, I think the insurance is a good deal for last minute emergencies (within 2 weeks of travel II won't accept the deposit either, so the week would be totally lost) and for the medical benefits and other travel benefits, esp. if you or any member of your party is getting on in years.

indyhorizons

TUG Member
Reaction score
That said, I think for most people a deposit into II rather than using the insurance is more beneficial.

However, I think the insurance is a good deal for last minute emergencies (within 2 weeks of travel II won't accept the deposit either, so the week would be totally lost) and for the medical benefits and other travel benefits, esp. if you or any member of your party is getting on in years.

I see. I suppose that's why it's called insurance, right. In any event, I do have a member in my party who is getting up in age (or better yet, at 82, has gotten, I suppose:D ). I guess when you look at MF, exhange fee, NW/DL new fee for ff redeposit etc. then costs do begin to add up if a trip is canceled in that window. Thanks for clarifying.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful

I called to inquire if I would be covered if a brother currently in hospice should pass. I was told that siblings are not considered family. Only spouses, parents, children and step children are considered family. Glad I called.

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called to see if I could get the 13-31 day coverage since I am going on 3 vacations this year. I was told I can only purchase the 1-12 days since I only own 1 week. However, I owned 2 weeks when I made 2 of the 3 vacation reservations (used 2008 weeks for 2009 reservations.) I was told that I must own 2 weeks at the time of the purchasing of the vacation insurance. I said that I am still on the ownership roster for the week I sold in late Dec, according to Marriott. Name changes there will not take place for another 2 months. Would that count? They said no.

I would have liked them to put in writing their definition of "usage" week to me. I have gotten different answers from different Travelguard employees.

To previous poster: Also, it looks like brother and brother-in-law are covered as immediate family. I do not know why they told you they are not. It is in the description of the policy.

JoePa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I called Mariott regarding this coverage.

Travel Guard does cover pre-existing conditions provided the person is capable of traveling when the insurance is purchased. However, the medical coverage in the Mariott travel guard policy is only $1,000 and secondary coverage to your medical coverage. Emergency evacuation coverage is $50,000. If medical coverage is your primary concern, I think you would be better off buying the platinum travel guard policy, it's a little more expensive but provides much better medical coverage.

Joe :cool:

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recent call to Travel Guard

I just got off the phone with Travel Guard Marriott Desk to double check some info. I'm sure many already know this but for those of us who are somewhat new...
Travel Guard does not need to know the exact dates of your trip as long as it is within your covered policy year.

Travel Guard does cover trips to exchanged locations as long as the original reservation booking was made with a Marriott property. I did not ask about AC's or getaways.

They are open 24/7. Call with the names of additional people who will be traveling to the location as part of your group. If you already have someone's name on file for that year, you don't have to have their name listed again.

Deb

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
It does get a little confusing, and I guess they set the lowest limit to 13 nights so you'd have to buy another 13 night policy to cover the extra night for a 2 wk stay. sneaky.

I have 3 weeks coming up at one of my Marriotts in FL and had to buy the 31 night policy for it...it also covers travel time to and from the holiday (we're driving) ... that leaves me with 10 nights of insured time, so with another 7 nights in AZ and 14 nights in Williamsburg, I'd still have to buy more nights to be fully covered. Can get expensive.

Brian

Last edited: