• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tragedy in Playa del Carmen

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tragedy in Playa del Carmen

Cdn. News media report tonight that a Canadian couple from Ontario, who were apparently in the Mayan Riviera Barcelo resort for their daughter's wedding, has been found dead in their hotel room.

The Barceló Maya Beach resort hotel is located some 20 kilometres south of Playa del Carmen, on the Gulf of Mexico.

A spokesperson for the Cdn Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that they are in contact with accompanying family in order to offer consular assistance. Mexican authorities have launched an investigation into this tragic death.

According to preliminary reports, some 16 Canadian tourists who were travelling with the couple were already questioned.

Local Mexican news media should provide further details about this tragic story.

Kola

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tulum

Still lots of details are unclear but local papers report that the prime suspects are Canadian (not 100% sure)but not part of the same group that arrived for the wedding of the daughter of the murdered couple. Luminol tests found traces of the murdered people's blood in the room of 2 women who left the hotel to return home on Monday. The local authorities are in constant contact with the Canadian Consul and Interpol.

More as it occurs although rumours usually proliferate faster than facts.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had friend's daughter that got married there in February. They had about 50 people go down for the wedding. Terrible. Hope they find the killers.

ontariotripper

TUG Member
Reaction score
They just showed a picture of the couple that were killed on the tv and the newscast said they were actively searching for Canadians that had already returned home. Bet THAT won't take long!

cycart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow...Canadian news outlets are pretty graphic. I don't know that US TV and papers would have been so descriptive.

ontariotripper

TUG Member
Reaction score
News this morning says the police believe it was a "professional hit" started from and carried out, from Canada. Therefore this is an probably an isolated horrific incident and has nothing to do with safety of others in Mexico.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
ontariotripper said:
News this morning says the police believe it was a "professional hit" started from and carried out, from Canada. Therefore this is an probably an isolated horrific incident and has nothing to do with safety of others in Mexico.
It was clear from the initial story that this was not a case of locals preying on tourists. Otherwise, they would have been robbed as part of the crime.

They were specifically targeted for some reason that had nothing to do with being tourists.

aptiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did read that yesterday & more today. So sad.
You know you cant believe everything you read
When:
They say it was a professional hit & then they trace bloody footprints from the crime scene back to the culprits room . How Professional!

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
The gaps in logic are starting to suggest (at least to me) that the difference between spin and facts has become blurred. It's in the Mexican government best interest to claim this came from another country so we may never know what really happened.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kola said:
That article has the following quote:

"Who was in Room 4143 of the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort and, more importantly, when?

The room — just down the hall from the Ianieros in 4134 — was the only one with traces of blood on the key slot, the remote control, the refrigerator and the bathroom taps, according to Rodriguez. There was a bloody trail between the rooms....But if, indeed, such blood evidence existed, why did news reports say the room was rented out that same day?

The new guests apparently were asked to wait on their terrace while police checked out the room. Shouldn't a secondary crime scene have been sealed off?"

So, this room had blood all over it, probably from a murder, and new guests were checked into it anyway? :eek:

First the Royal Carribean case where the cruise line claimed that a missing person and huge blood stain wasn't evidence of foul play, now this. Makes me re-consider vacationing outside the US.

cedars

TUG Member
Reaction score
the mystery continues

Today's news is now saying that four staff members have not returned to work at the resort since the slayings of the couple and they now are investigating them. The investigation leaves much to be desired. Cedars

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see the interview of the two suspects this past weekend? It was as if they targeted Mrs. Partridge and Carol Brady. No way did they commit those murders.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because nobody is ever murdered in the US?:confused:

JudyS said:
First the Royal Carribean case where the cruise line claimed that a missing person and huge blood stain wasn't evidence of foul play, now this. Makes me re-consider vacationing outside the US.

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
caribbeansun said:
Because nobody is ever murdered in the US?:confused:

No offense to anyone out there but, though we have our share of crime ridden areas and bungled crime investigations...

I'd rather travel in the US also.

I'm sure Judy did not mean to offend any other country. It's just that, this is where WE are used to. Though there are many languages and "sub" cultures here... English is primarily spoken here and we used to U.S. American customs... food, transportation, etc. There are many excellent places in this huge world to visit... she just mentioned where she is most comfortable. I can appreciate that.

If California had everything that Mexico, Europe, the South Pacific islands, Asia, Las Vegas, British Columbia, New York, and the rest of the world had... I'd never travel outside of the STATE! Unfortunately, I do have to hop on a plane every once in awhile to enjoy fully life!

No need to have "short man's complex" ;) . I'm sure you feel the same about the comfort level of traveling in Canada. JMHO.

Kevin :)

MusicMan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because nobody is ever murdered in the US?

Of course there are murders in the US, but, in most cases, there is a fairly competent criminal investigation, not a tourism driven cover-up.