• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading weeks at Carlsbad Inn

doyleb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
While I was aware of TUG and had accessed / searched it a few times in the past, I had a specific question that prompted me to join and see if anyone here could help. We own multiple weeks at the Carlsbad Inn and are interested in 'trading' one of our weeks for an earlier one - i.e. trading a week 30 or 31 for a week 28. Depositing them with GPX is no guarantee that we would be able to exchange for the week we need (we have a larger than normal group in Carlsbad in mid-July and are looking for extra space in addition to the 1 BR unit we already own). The than posting an exchange here (which I'm happy to do if that's the best option) is there any other alternatives to simply trading one week for another without going through GPX ? Thanks in advance for the replies.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can trade in RCI. If you don't already have a membership, you need to pay a membership fee and then pay another fee when you trade. They get bulk deposits of summer weeks, much more than GPX does, but they are deposited pretty far in advance. If you are looking for this year, you missed it. If you are looking for 2018, you can probably get it if you put in the request right now.

You can put requests in to the exchange companies without depositing your week and wait for them to get what you want. Again, if you are looking for this year, chances are extremely high that you won't get it. People also rent out their weeks. It is possible you can rent a week from an owner and then in turn, rent yours. If you click on the Marketplace ad at the top of this page, you can see all the for rent weeks and exchange weeks offered by owners here. Check also, Redweek.com

You may want to expand your search to include other nearby resorts. I know Tamarack is only a block away. There are several others that would involve driving, but it is something to consider if you can't all get a room where you own. Also, call the resort and ask them if they have any suggestions. They may have a few nights for rent.

doyleb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Presley - thank you for your response and suggestions - if we think we may be in this situation again next year at least I know I need to do a better job of advanced planning.. :) Renting our later weeks this year and looking to rent an additional unit in the earlier week may be the way for us to go this year. I'll place an ad in the Marketplace section and see what happens. Appreciate the help.