• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading Power Mexico

AlbertaTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've just read in Newbie Help "Trading Power" that TS in Mexico do not have great trading power. I can understand that some people who live in the Souther States can drive to an ocean timeshare however those of us in (BRRR) Canada I would think would want to go to Mexico. So what makes it a bad trade:hi:

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
There is information on the internet and misinformation on the internet. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to distinguish between science fact and science fiction. There are many Tuggers who are very happy with their Mexico timeshares. It depends upon which one you purchase. I would think that if you owned at The Grand Mayan, your trading power would be excellent.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being happy with our Mexican units isn't the same as great trading power

We own around 25 weeks in Mexico, we really enjoy our weeks, but as for trading, well most any good US week will out pull even our GM weeks using RCI.

There is information on the internet and misinformation on the internet. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to distinguish between science fact and science fiction. There are many Tuggers who are very happy with their Mexico timeshares. It depends upon which one you purchase. I would think that if you owned at The Grand Mayan, your trading power would be excellent.

There is a perception that many people have that going to Mexico isn't safe, and therefore the demand is lower than other warm areas when it is cold in the north.

We also have some US based weeks in our account that do out perform our MX weeks, with lower fees, and lower trade costs.

I didn't make RCI's trade rules, I just have 1st hand experience with them.

Now, if you use an Independent such as SFX or TPI, and are trading at least a one bedroom, you will get great results.

jmho,

Greg

I've just read in Newbie Help "Trading Power" that TS in Mexico do not have great trading power. I can understand that some people who live in the Souther States can drive to an ocean timeshare however those of us in (BRRR) Canada I would think would want to go to Mexico. So what makes it a bad trade

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bad or low trading power refers to what your own resort can get you for a trade. Are you thinking of buying a resort in Mexico and then trading it to go elsewhere? The trading power depends on what you buy. Royal Resorts are in high demand and are excellent traders.

If you are thinking of trading IN to a resort in Mexico, it's a different story - you can get into some resorts easily, others take more persistence, an earlier search, a better deposit, and so forth.

You should be able to get on to Interval International or RCI and see what trades you can get for whatever you are depositing.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
aliikai2:

25 weeks in Mexico!!!! Me gusto Mexico mucho tambien. Are you retired? I defer to your greater experience. However, when I was given the high pressure sales pitch at Grand Mayan Riviera Maya earlier this year, the sales people told me that my trading power with Orlando based resorts was very poor compared to GM trading power. (Although Orlando may be overbuilt, I have always received my first or second choice when using RCI through HGVC.)

We would not hesitate to stay at another GM resort when we decide to return to Mexico again. We have also had a good experience with Fiesta Americana as well.

ffsmo

Reaction score
Trading power

We just bought at the Grand Mayan last summer and traded through The Registry Collection, (into RCI Resort )into princeville kauai for 2, 2 bedroom units fo a week, we had no issues and got 2 weeks for our 1. My wife did the transaction so I dont know the excact details, but it seemed to work for us. This was durring the last week of Sept, but I think hawaii is always "Prime" season.

thoscook1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading Power

I have owned both weeks and points in Mexico and have almost always had good luck on my desired trades. I have used both II and RCI and the only problem I had was when I split my 2br lockout and deposited my studio and it seemed weak-- maybe because I picked a bad week or maybe because studio don't do to well. Maint fees I pay are cheap and my home resort is a Gold Crown in RCI or 5 Star in II. The only draw back is that Mexico timeshares are RTU but that is ok for me since 15-20 years is a long time and I may not want to own there any longer than that anyway.