• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading power dropped right off why?

ontariotripper

TUG Member
Reaction score
No problems up to now w/ my red weeks trading power at El Dorado Resort in Mexico. We have used Gold Crown properties all over the world. Now with my last 3 deposits my trading power stinks! Any idea why? One girl at RCI said "Well not many people want to go to Mexico in June". June? Where did That come from?
Does Exotic Travel arbitrarily decide when folks can use my resort? In these last 3 deposits it appears I've caught October..The deposits last until 2011. I AM a member of Tug though it doesn't show for some reason in my log in. Any help appreciated.

ontariotripper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe I wasn't clear enough. I've been trying to book into 2010. I had 23 possible places to go in Florida lots of Gold Crown some even on the ocean in Daytona. So I booked Orange lake for 4 weeks then ran out of weeks so phoned and had 3 more weeks deposited. Now went in a few days later to see what was available around the same time and only 8 resorts and not very good ones came up...ergo these deposits are not the same as the last deposits. Any idea what happened? we were going to buy back into El Dorado next Jan but sure won't if trading power flops around!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Three letters. R.C.I.

They don't need a reason to decrease exchange power. They do it because they can. People who actually own the timeshares aren't part of their buisness model. Even Westgate dumped RCI. That should tell you all you need to know.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the details of your deposits.

What were the dates for the weeks you already had in your account? Were they for a different month than the ones that were recently deposited?

From what you're describing, I'm assuming you own a set number of weeks to use, and can use them as fast as you want (providing they are available). I'm also assuming that means in effect you have floating weeks, and have no control over what is deposited into your account.

Even if you are guaranteed a red week, that doesn't guarantee all your weeks will trade evenly. One red week might be stonger than another (just look at Orlando, where all weeks are red - the second week of January is nowhere near as popular as Christmas week or the 4th of July).

The other issue might be what you're looking for. Are you looking for multiple units the same weeks you've already booked, or weeks before or following what you have? The weeks you're searching for right not might be higher demand, or since you're looking 2 years out, might simply not be on deposit yet. Most people don't deposit 2 years out, and some can't deposit until 10 months out.

ontariotripper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah yes I guess what I have is have "floating" weeks. Yes we have about 15 more floating weeks to use..I think I am "getting it". I am at their mercy as to when they choose to get people into the resort.
Well I don't know if it is happy news or not but a dear girl at the place where we bought has said she will send out another week and this one will be for January.SOOOwhen it comes in I will go back to RCI and see how much of a difference the trading power makes! I will repot back. Thanks sincerely for all replies...will let you know!
Just as a point of interest we want to buy more time...so if we don't use RCI is there another exchanging group that is better? I assume I go to their web site to figure out where they have properties for sale?

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Red can be very pink

We own at Morrits in Grand Cayman and I see a huge difference in trading power depending on the week deposited. In the past I have tried to pre pay the MF and get a Feb or March week deposited. These have always traded very well. Last year a Feb Morritts week got me Spring Break at a Gold Crown Whiski Jack 2 bedroom in Whistler - a screaming trade!

But, a second week that I paid the MF later and a August week was deposited. I could not pull anything with this week, it was basically useless. This of course is due to the Hurricane threat and more then likely that could be what is going on for you. I would think Jan-March and Dec weeks will trade well, if you get much past April and into the summer it will not be as strong as the winter. So, compare the weeks and I bet the time of the year is the determining factor - winter beach weeks are always going to have higher trading power.

I finally got VERY upset and RCI finally gave me a mediocre trade into a unit that was not a great trade. But, at least I did not waste my MF that I had paid for Morritts. I learned my lesson, I had an October week once that would not pull anything either. I finally used it to go to Orlando...

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
OntarioTripper,

Welcome to Tug! Go to this Tug link to see how to change your status from "Guest" to "Member"

Richard

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No problems up to now w/ my red weeks trading power at El Dorado Resort in Mexico. We have used Gold Crown properties all over the world. Now with my last 3 deposits my trading power stinks! Any idea why? One girl at RCI said "Well not many people want to go to Mexico in June". June? Where did That come from?
Does Exotic Travel arbitrarily decide when folks can use my resort? In these last 3 deposits it appears I've caught October..The deposits last until 2011. I AM a member of Tug though it doesn't show for some reason in my log in. Any help appreciated.
I've had the same problem for 1 1/2 years now with weeks I've owned on Siesta Key since 1985. Can't even see any of the resorts we've traded into in past years!! RCI resonse to my asking, "Why?"......"No one wants to go to Siesta Key during hurricane season." I OWN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER WEEKS!

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lower Trading Power

The more good weeks RCI gives to you in trades, the fewer good weeks left for them to rent out to the general public.

ontariotripper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy I'm really out of my league knowing any of this information. I had a rosy idea that RCI was keen on making me happy by giving me a few gold crown properties. What site can I go to , to figure out where and with whom we should buy into next for the best options? We are down to about 12 weeks left to use up and we're going through them rather quickly!