• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading into your own resort

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I've done it once before where I used part of my lockoff to get a full 2-Bedroom; once again this option is available to me in February. It seems strange that I can take a studio or 1-B and get a 2-B. Would this just be because of II's inventory? Do owners have a higher priority when it comes to exchanging? The week I deposited isn't all that fantastic of a week (mid-May in Tahoe).

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done it using points so it wasn't any bargain.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Our 1st Points Exchange (7,500 Points) Was Into Our Own Timeshare.

That was via Instant Exchange -- 7,500 points for a full 2BR week at Cypress Pointe Phase Two, for our son's & daughter-in-law's pre-Christmas vacation with their little boy in 2005.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've done it several times at II using 2 of my resorts. None are lock-offs but I receive a bonus week for the deposits so get 2 exchanges. Only my Hawaii unit appears to have an owner preference since I can't usually see those units with other searches. As for getting larger units with a lock-off, I always use them to trade into larger but never deposit them first. When they are deposited all I see are other studios. If I search without depositing I am usually able to snag a larger unit somewhere that fits my travel plans. Or I deposit my lock-offs at Trading Places where I can upgrade to any size for a small fee.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
yes there is usually internal trade preference. It could be my resort, or by resort group.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we owned a unit in Ft Lauderdale, we would trade in during Presidents' Week...got in every time, even with a weak trader.
Connie

spatenfloot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Due to the internal preference many resorts get, you can trade into a larger unit or a better week by doing this. I just exchanged a 1 br for a 2br at the same resort during a later week. The exchange fee is cheaper than the nightly room upgrade fee would have been and I don't have to worry about whether one will be available or not.

senorak

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done it several times......and always end up with a larger unit (2BR for a 1BR), and able to trade even in "high demand" time (summer vacation for Hilton Head). In the case of my VRI property, I am able to see availability before the "general RCI public"....which has allowed me to exchange my Cape Cod week for a SF week (summer vacation again).

Deb

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I've done it once before where I used part of my lockoff to get a full 2-Bedroom; once again this option is available to me in February. It seems strange that I can take a studio or 1-B and get a 2-B. Would this just be because of II's inventory? Do owners have a higher priority when it comes to exchanging? The week I deposited isn't all that fantastic of a week (mid-May in Tahoe).

I did this last May when our Maui trip ended because of both airlines closing before we went.

T

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did this last May when our Maui trip ended because of both airlines closing before we went.

We had our week returned to II acct and made trade back into the Ridge. We traded our one bedroom for a two bedroom in the Tower but it was also under the 60 days so size didn't matter! :)hysterical: )

We were offered the Tower as a owner after being givin the Casecade building though!

PHIL

Last edited: