• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading into DVC

suekap

Reaction score
I know that you can trade from II to DVC. If you have a floating redweek 2 bedroom, do you have any chance getting into Beach Club Villas in the summer?

ripshion

Reaction score
suekap said:
I know that you can trade from II to DVC. If you have a floating redweek 2 bedroom, do you have any chance getting into Beach Club Villas in the summer?

I think you would definately have a chance if you expand your choices to the other DVC resorts as well and not just the Beach Club. The Beach Club is probably the most popular out of all the DVC resorts and availability through II will be very slim for summer I would imagine. Try and book a high demand week at your resort then deposit with II to get the best trade power. Put in an "Ongoing" search and see what happens! Trading into DVC in Sept-Oct seems to be alot easier. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Smaller unit & extra cost

Also realize that should the unlikely occur and there is a summer exchange offered it will be for a tiny 1 BR or studio AND you'll get hit with a $95 "convenience" charge. All in all you are far better off renting if you wish to use DVC than trying to trade in.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the 1BRs at BCV tiny? If so, that's good to know. I stayed in Old Key West and the 1BR was very large.

timeos2 said:
Also realize that should the unlikely occur and there is a summer exchange offered it will be for a tiny 1 BR

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call them tiny, but they are not as large as you would usually find offsite in Orlando.

OKW is the only DVC at Disney that has the large 1BR and 2BR.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Big Matt said:
Are the 1BRs at BCV tiny? If so, that's good to know. I stayed in Old Key West and the 1BR was very large.
They are smaller than OKW but certainly not what I'd call tiny, John just can't miss an opportunity to take a shot at DVC. They should be right around 1100 square feet and most of the differences are in the setup and kitchen/dining options. Outside OKW, almost all 2 BR units for DVC have a queen and pullout love seat in the second BR, the kitchen is more of an apartment style and much cozier and the table arrangements are smaller. I prefer OKW but unless I were stuffing the room wouldn't let the size itself be a deterent.

I'd say the chances of a 2 BR during the middle of summer are essentially zero for BCV. The chances of a 2 BR during that time at any resort are very slim unless you're talking early June or late August. There will be an occasional unit show up during summer for smaller units. I've seen studio and 1 BR units for 4th of July. But your best chances of exchanging in, esp for a 2 BR are the slow times for Orlando of Jan, May, Sept, Oct and early Dec.

I'd generally disagree with John about renting vs trading. While there are your maint fees, exchange fee and the extra $95 fee, it can still be a great deal to exchange in, even for the 1 BR, for many situations. The studio does get to be an issue in questionable value but even then it depends on specifics. In large part it depends on how much YOU value being on property and what you're giving up. If you're giving up a top demand week you could easily rent out for big bucks, you may want to try request first. But many red weeks would be an upgrade in many ways even a 1 BR giving up a 2 BR. Even as a member I've traded in several times and rent out the points I would have use. BTW, enough points for that 2 BR for a week would cost you in the neighborhood of $3500 or even more for mid June to mid August for 350 points at $10 per point which is about as low as one could expect to rent for that situation.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DVC is better rented for the occasional user

Dean - My main thought about renting is simply availability. As you state the chance of getting a 2BR is just about zero while it is fairly easy to find a rental. As a renter they don't spend the exchange fee, the $95 charge, avoid the uncertainty of a trade and still have their regular time to use/trade. It is easier to pick a date, unit size, even the exact resort renting than it is trying to trade into DVC. All in all a better way to do it IMHO.

Until people stay in one they don't realize that DVC units aren't as large as most "regular" timeshares in Orlando or that most have mini-kitchens. Not critical but a surprise if they are expecting Marriott type amenities and size as the cost/reputation would seem to indicate.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
timeos2 said:
Dean - My main thought about renting is simply availability. As you state the chance of getting a 2BR is just about zero while it is fairly easy to find a rental. As a renter they don't spend the exchange fee, the $95 charge, avoid the uncertainty of a trade and still have their regular time to use/trade. It is easier to pick a date, unit size, even the exact resort renting than it is trying to trade into DVC. All in all a better way to do it IMHO.

Until people stay in one they don't realize that DVC units aren't as large as most "regular" timeshares in Orlando or that most have mini-kitchens. Not critical but a surprise if they are expecting Marriott type amenities and size as the cost/reputation would seem to indicate.
No question it's easier to rent if one is set on getting in to DVC and there is the flexibility of renting Sunday to Friday for about 60% of the cost. And one can pick the resort and exact days, but that is still a hefty fee for someone used to trading timeshares. BTW, I don't think the unit sizes are that much an issue and they are extremely functional. I do prefer OKW for a number of reasons but having stayed off site at Marriott's and with DVC, I MUCH prefer DVC.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
timeos2 said:
...Until people stay in one they don't realize that DVC units aren't as large as most "regular" timeshares in Orlando or that most have mini-kitchens. Not critical but a surprise if they are expecting Marriott type amenities and size as the cost/reputation would seem to indicate.

I wouldn't call the DVC kitchens "mini kitchens." Except for the studios (which are really glorified hotel rooms), all DVC units have a full-sized fridge and oven, as well as a microwave, dishwasher, and full-sized sink. The supply of dishes, etc., is good. Yes, the kitchens in the one and two bedrooms at most of the DVC resort are small, but I suspect they are fine for most people. I cook a lot of meals while on vacation (because of dietary restrictions), including baking on most trips. I find the DVC kitchens to be fine in all but the studio units.

John, would larger kitchens and units make you happy with the DVC? I thought you were just plain unhappy with Disney's loss of Walt's vision and emphasis on the bottom line.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It isn't just the kitchens

Except for OKW, which is the most like a standard featured Orlando ts, it is the total package that makes the units, not the stay, less than many expect. When you know the purchase price for rtu is high, the fees are high, as an exchanger you pay extra and there is a basic level of size and features expected at an Orlando resort it can be a disappointment to find that DVC units don't measure up. They are not Marriott or HVC level in furnishings or size - in fact each size designation seems to be one step down so a 1BR would be a studio at most Orlando resorts. To me the theme only goes so far as most of that is in the common areas which you don't even have to be a resort guest to enjoy. The actual units are basic rooms with perhaps some extra color or some stylized furniture. Now there are the onsite perks and if that makes the extra cost and effort to get in worth it the guest is happy. But the units themselves are at best in the middle of the pack for Orlando timeshares which are perhaps some of the better ones in the world. Marty covered it very well in her post on the FL forum. The units will not wow you like many outside the gates will but they have an edge in the overall site theming for sure. It's Disney World after all!

It's easy to see why most of the non-DW DVC resorts never got built. Without the unique surroundings of DW they really don't have anything to offer over any other timeshare. That has also recently been discussed. DVC remains a rather pricey niche product that has a loyal following. Those that love it defend it to the end and those that either haven't the interest or don't buy into the magic don't see what the hype is all about. I have moved from the first group to the last over the years. Blasphemy to the true believers I know.

Perhaps FF has the best option as they are basically onsite yet offer the unit features and quality of offsite resorts. Thats hard to beat and yet FF owners pay much less. Bang for the buck is great if you own at Bonnet Creek or simply use your FF points to stay there. Sort of a middle ground for those who want the onsite experience but with the expected unit size and features when you are at the resort. Thank heavens we all get to choose what works best for us for the dollars we wish to spend. Long live Disney. The Orlando area and theme parks in general wouldn't be what we enjoy today without them. The rest of what they do I could live without.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
The DVC one bedrooms at VWL, BCV, and BWV are around 750 square feet. I've never stayed in a studio/efficiency off property that was 750 square feet. The 2 bedrooms are closer to 1100 square feet. These DVC properties are attached to Walt Disneyworld Deluxe hotels. So you get hotel services/amenities/restaurants with more square footage than a deluxe hotel room. The DVC one and two bedrooms at VWL, BCV, and BWV are definitely a better deal than paying to stay in a presidential suite at these deluxe hotels. Also, the BCV and BWV are within WALKING distance to Epcot and MGM. VWL is just a quick boat ride to the Magic Kingdom.

OKW has the biggest rooms. OKW and SSR are condo style with no deluxe hotel attached.

Suekap, good luck on getting an exchange into BCV. I've heard an occasional studio comes up every once in a while for summer. Storm-a-Long Bay (the resort's sand bottom pool) is a lot of fun. It's more like a mini water park than a pool.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
timeos2 said:
Except for OKW, which is the most like a standard featured Orlando ts, it is the total package that makes the units, not the stay, less than many expect. When you know the purchase price for rtu is high, the fees are high, as an exchanger you pay extra and there is a basic level of size and features expected at an Orlando resort it can be a disappointment to find that DVC units don't measure up. They are not Marriott or HVC level in furnishings or size - in fact each size designation seems to be one step down so a 1BR would be a studio at most Orlando resorts.
John, this is an overstatement at best. To say a studio at say GV is equal to a 1 BR at DVC (looking unit to unit) simply shows your bias, besides being untrue. I'll give you there's a unit size different to many resorts though I think it's not nearly as big a deal as you'd like to make it out to be. To say the level of quality of the furnishings is far better in general is simply untrue .

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't like most 1 BR in Orlando

Dean - I agree that the 1BR at Grande Villas is small - I'd call it a studio too. In fact that is the biggest complaint that resort seems to get. People trade into that unit thinking it can accomodate 4 grown ups and expecting a full 1BR, Orlando size and they are disappointed. The same response you often hear from 1BR DVC units. Now compare that to Vacation Village where both the "A" & "B" sized 1 BR are larger and the complaints aren't there. It's all expectations as well as what they see when they walk in the door.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
timeos2 said:
Dean - I agree that the 1BR at Grande Villas is small - I'd call it a studio too. In fact that is the biggest complaint that resort seems to get. People trade into that unit thinking it can accomodate 4 grown ups and expecting a full 1BR, Orlando size and they are disappointed. The same response you often hear from 1BR DVC units. Now compare that to Vacation Village where both the "A" & "B" sized 1 BR are larger and the complaints aren't there. It's all expectations as well as what they see when they walk in the door.
This is the issue. You are taking an extreme example to make a point, at a fairly low rated resort in the area compared to many others. I'd put a 2 BR as average at around 1250-1400 square feet. The kitchens at CH and GV are very nice and of normal size in my estimation, GV much better to me but others may prefer the reverse. Once you get over a certain level of size and amenities, it doesn't add to functionality but it will depend in part on how you use it and the size of your group. John it's simply that you are not objective when it comes to DVC. If you prefer other locations, please stay there. And you should continue to post your views and I'm sure those of us who feel differently will continue to correct any skewed info you provide.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
suekap,

Another nice thing about staying at a Disney DVC resort (from a female's point of view) is not having to rely on off-site shuttles. All my kids were girls and the Disney transportation/or being close enough to walk to and from a park was so nice. I never liked the idea of my girls standing in a dark parking lot waiting for an off-site shuttle to bring them back to our condo. We really liked staying at the BWV and BCV because of how great it was when we were traveling with the girls. Very convenient and we didn't have to all travel together and stay together.

Even now when my extended family travels to Orlando for a Disney trip (and half of my family usually stays at the Marriott Grande Vista as they love it there), we make arrangements for the teens/young adults to stay with us at DVC because of the transportation/or being close enough to walk to the parks.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
John I love your opinions on Cypress Pointe and I will be staying there in Dec...

but I think everyone here know how much you hate DVC.

I agreed with the others BCV in a 2-bedroom for the summer is probably not gonna happen....

I would put OKW and SSR on your list as well. then at least you will be at a DVC resort - so tranportation is not a problem.

you are aware that you also get the DME (disney magical express) - free transportation back and forth to the airport - plus after April disney dinning - now this will cost more but many people think it is worth it.

I don't too many food allergies....

I stayed in OL - that 2-bedroom was not larger than OKW at all. It was smaller... and I hated not having a whirlpool in the room with a 2-bedroom. Plus it was miles from WDW. Spicey stays at FW - so going back and forth 3 times a day was a big pain....

with every resort or timeshares someone will find something that they don't like.

the Sheraton Vistana - the pools were not exactly clean - despite having people in the other area to sell things....

all timeshares are a business....not just Disney!!!!

Disney kepts getting their villa smaller - but they know they can sell them....
there will never be another DVC resort as large as OKW. SSR will be larger in acreage and have alot more villa because they are smaller.

I think Disney plan makes sense - if you built smaller you can get more in one building and lower the cost - which is passed on to the members when they buy.

all DVC resort studios are as large as WDW deluxe rooms with the exception of Polyn and Cont...

Deluxe Resorts:
Wilderness Lodge - 340
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 344
Beach Club - 380
Yacht Club - 380
BoardWalk Inn - 380
Grand Floridian - 400
Polynesian - 409
Contemporary - 422

OKW BWV BCV Vwl SSR

studio 390 sq ft 412 365 356 355

I am not sure where Disney came up with 412 for BWV - I think the real figure is 359

Sue K

TUG Member
Reaction score
John,
Aren't you getting tired of making the same false statements about DVC over and over again? We certainly are! You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Well, actually, it's becoming rather comical so I guess you should keep it up so all of us who know better can continue to have a good laugh!

tsguru99

TUG Member
Reaction score
suekap said:

Your deposited week also must have enough "quality" to see summer DVCs. Low quality resorts can't pull DVC at all.

The chances of pulling a 1BR BCVs are also slim. Your best bet is if you are willing to trade into a studio at BCV.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Are there large whirlpool tubs in any of the DVC units?

We are used to large whirlpool bathtubs, big enough for two of us, and we try to get into resorts that have that amenity. Are the DVC whirlpools just regular sized tubs?

We have a trade request with II and may just grab a Marriott instead, because the tub (and a KS bed too) really is important to us.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy,

Yes, there are large whirlpool tubs in the 1 and 2 bedrooms. They are bigger than a normal size bath tub. The 1 and 2 bedrooms also have king size beds in the master bedroom. For seem reason I'm thinking the whirlpool tub at OKW was massive in size. But it seems like when we stayed at VWL, it was really big, too. Here's a link:

http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/resorts/resortLanding?id=BeachClubVillasLandingPage

Take the room tour and you can click and drag your mouse to look in the master bedrooms for all the DVC resorts.

Also, check this site out. The tagrel site has great room tours of the DVC resorts:

http://www.tagrel.com/

On the tagrel site, just click on Disney Vacation Club (DVC) and he has some really good room tours.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
rickandcindy23 said:
We are used to large whirlpool bathtubs, big enough for two of us, and we try to get into resorts that have that amenity. Are the DVC whirlpools just regular sized tubs?

Only the OKW is as big as the Marriott. the others are a little bigger than regular size tubs - you couldn't get 2 people in one at the same time.

you definitely can at OKW. I think it is bigger than the Marriott.

but all DVC resort have the outside whirlpool - these are generally in working order... seem like the last few stays with a Marriott their outside spas were not in working order...

then you get to visit with DVC members who will talk you into buying a DVC.... :rolleyes:

http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/resorts/resortGuestDetail?id=OKGuestAccommodationDetailPage

Gadabout

Reaction score
spiceycat said:
all timeshares are a business....not just Disney!!!!

Disney kepts getting their villa smaller - but they know they can sell them....
there will never be another DVC resort as large as OKW. SSR will be larger in acreage and have alot more villa because they are smaller.

I think Disney plan makes sense - if you built smaller you can get more in one building and lower the cost - which is passed on to the members when they buy.

No saavy business will lower the prices of anything if they don't have to, and Disney is probably no exception. Cutting the business costs, that's different, but no guarantee that members will see any of it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The OKW tubs are 2 person size, the rest are good size but not really for 2 people.

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OKW tub fits my 3 kids :D

The other DVC units tub fits only 2 kids :D