• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading Horizons Orlando for DVC is not possible! (includes DVC move to RCI)

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
I made a reservations at my home, Horizons in Orlando, for next November. Then I thought I would take a chance and request first for a Disney Vacation Club resort for the same time frame. This would allow me to make travel arrangements and not have to worry about losing out on decent airline prices by booking ahead. I was informed by II that I can not trade my Horizons in Orlando back into any Disney or Westgate resort in Orlando. That would explain why I never see any Disney resorts when I do an exchange search, no matter how big a window of travel I tried. I was not told by my sales representative when I bought this several years ago. He made it sound like it would be very hard to into Disney but not impossible. I believed him and I thought that I just didn't have high enough trading power to get into a DVC, ever. The II rep gave me the impression that any Marriott or Starwood in Orlando can not trade into Disney or Westgate in Orlando. Is this a true statement?:bawl:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, there is a regional block in II. You can get around that by buying a generic trader to get into DVC, but you must know for certain that it will work to get DVC. Now that DVC is choosing to also affililiate with RCI, there will be more choices for generic weeks. There will also be more competition for DVC trades, too, which is a bad thing.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Thanks for the quick response.

Last week I won a bid on ebay for Marriott Oceanwatch in Myrtle Beach. If that passes ROFR maybe one day I will be able to trade that into DVC, if they stick around long enough in II. That was one of the reasons I bid on it - for better trading power.

Very disappointed!!!

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
You can trade into DVC in Hilton Head or Vero with your Marriott Horizons.

Cindy, where did you hear that DVC is not dropping II? That would be great news if they are adding RCI along with II as a choice. That would make more sense than dropping II totally.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke to DVC member services. DVC is replacing II with RCI and will not be dual affiliated. No more exchanges to DVC using II after January 1.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke to DVC member services. DVC is replacing II with RCI and will not be dual affiliated. No more exchanges to DVC using II after January 1.
This may be good for owners of Orlando resorts who trade in II .With DVC out of the picture the other resorts would get more trade requests in II.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Disney has set up this arrangement with II to get people to buy at DVC instead of exchanging in via other cheaper options in Orlando.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This may be good for owners of Orlando resorts who trade in II .With DVC out of the picture the other resorts would get more trade requests in II.

This is a good point. So II affiliated resorts in Orlando may see a slight increase in trade power once all those DVC deposits are gone. I don't know how much of a percentage of weeks DVC accounted for in Orlando within II, probably not a lot though (say <5%) given the sheer number of TS there?

cigarboo

Reaction score

Say what?:eek: I had no idea... and it's going to start Jan 1??? Now, that's the best kept secret. I just bought into DVC and their book still shows all the II resorts for exchange. They gave me developer points as well that expire 10/09, but in the paperwork, specifically includes that I can deposit it with II. There must be some overlap with II and RCI. :shrug:

But wow, I didn't read this on the Disboard or the DVC section of Tug. That's news to me. Thanks for the heads up.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Say what?:eek: I had no idea... and it's going to start Jan 1??? Now, that's the best kept secret. I just bought into DVC and their book still shows all the II resorts for exchange. They gave me developer points as well that expire 10/09, but in the paperwork, specifically includes that I can deposit it with II. There must be some overlap with II and RCI. :shrug:

But wow, I didn't read this on the Disboard or the DVC section of Tug. That's news to me. Thanks for the heads up.

There is a lengthy discussion on disboards.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
dioxide, can you link us to that discussion? I looked at disboards and didn't see anything.

I was hoping DVC would become dual-affiliated, which would give owners more choices. It seems to be the trend for most resorts, and it certainly is in the best interests of everyone.

RCI is a good exchange company, but I use both and like them both equally. Don't forget that RCI has all the Hiltons, so not every major hotel brand is with II, though most are.

II may have made some mistakes with Disney that we don't know about. I know that II has really been a problem for our management company at Twin Rivers. They double-booked some of the units, putting our management company in a bind many times.

Sorry, OP, as this topic is going astray........

cigarboo

Reaction score
There is a lengthy discussion on disboards.

Thanks! Looks like it was started yesterday. I must have been sleeping on the post.;)

NJMOM2: Try not to feel too bad. Horizon's Orlando is such a fantastic place to stay. Incidentally, I have Developer Points for SSR that I received for buying DVC(BLT) and I'm having trouble using them. I rather go to Horizon's and so do my kids. Just looking at the SSR pool and all the far away sections they could put me in, depresses me. So we're just blowing the points on a long weekend stay and looking forward to Horizon's in the summer. Not trying to insult SSR folks, I'm sure it's lovely and has it's perks, but Horizon's is not too shabby either. And OceanWatch was the the next resort I was looking to get into. That's hard to trade into during the summer. It looks wonderful and arguably the best resort in MB. I'm sure you'll love your purchase. It would not be hard to do a direct trade with someone with DVC for a week at MOW. I know I would certainly go for it.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Control is all in the hands of DVC

You have ZERO control over DVC. They control inventory 100% and, apparently as of now, there are no more deposits going to II but if you already have a deposit they will honor it until 12/31/08. After that you are (thankfully) dealing with RCI going forward. Doesn't matter what your contract may say as they reserve all rights to any interaction with any third party exchange company.

Get used to it as DVC holds all the cards and you go along for the ride. Has always been that way and always will be as you do not own anything but a RTU and agreed to pay fees and have use of what they give you for XX years. Nothing more. The total developer control, the change to II and the unfair $95 exchange penalty is why we dumped DVC many years back now. We enjoyed it (and the free passes) while we had it but I wouldn't give you $5 to stay there now. Just no desire at all to deal with Disney. As someone else noted the experience is more to our taste at Universal and at far better value for the dollar. We won't add to the crowds or parking issues at Disney so you can have our space if you want to deal with it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The total developer control, the change to II and the unfair $95 exchange penalty is why we dumped DVC many years back now. We enjoyed it (and the free passes) while we had it but I wouldn't give you $5 to stay there now. Just no desire at all to deal with Disney. As someone else noted the experience is more to our taste at Universal and at far better value for the dollar. We won't add to the crowds or parking issues at Disney so you can have our space if you want to deal with it.

Will you begin to chastise RCI when they start allowing DVC to charge the $95 fee for those exchanging in to DVC through RCI?

cigarboo

Reaction score
Between the slow developing Marriott internal exchang system and the constant "enhancements" at Disney and DVC, I'm sooooo keeping my money in the bank. Not going to be buying any more timeshares or DVC points. I'll enjoy what we have already, but it seems these companies keep making changes that adversely affect its members.

I feel for OP. I would be disappointed as well. But like I said earlier, you(OP) bought into 2 very nice resorts and you should be able to to enjoy those for many years. MOW will be a great trader if you're not using it and Horizon's isn't bad either. I locked off the 2BR and got 2 weeks. Flexchange works for us and we were able to go to Ko Olina in July and also exchanged back into Horizon's 2br spring break with a studio. Never know what the future of trading will be like, but enjoy what you have and can do with it now. We'll hope for the best as far as future trades go.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The fee is unfair no matter who allows it

Will you begin to chastise RCI when they start allowing DVC to charge the $95 fee for those exchanging in to DVC through RCI?

ABSOLUTELY! It was that very charge that helped lead to the original split between RCI/II back in the 90's. RCI wouldn't allow it - II, of course, had no problem with it as long as they got the name in their book. Then in 2006 RCI allowed Manhattan Club to start charging a similar, unfair fee and thus DVC can now go back to a real exchange company - fee and all. I'll never use them or pay the fee but at least DVC long term renters will once again get real service not the meaningless, cute slogan and no performance of II. As I noted in another post II would have had more defections recently but a top position saved them. Marriott may be the next to leave from the rumors floating around.

II is bad enough as a member but the dissatisfaction with their operation at the resort/system level is very high. They simply don't deliver value or service. I know of a 1/2 dozen resorts that are affiliated and plan to drop it when the term is over. Unless you've dealt with them you don't know how bad they really are. I guess DVC had enough - fee or not. I can't blame them.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
John - you know that is not why DVC left RCI. It was DVC decision - despite RCI asking them to stay.

they left RCI because of member dissatification.

have no idea why they are trying again?

can you say someone at Disney got something in return - and it was NOT DVC members......:annoyed: