• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

trade to Hawaii

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the plane tickets!!!!!!!!!:cheer: I'm SHOCKED. Two first class, two coach. I used Marriott points for the first class tickets (premium amounts - don't go running out to buy a timeshare from the developer). But I did it - so now I'm trying to get the most out of it. The tickets would have cost a little over 3000. So that's 6000 back. We'll stay in a hotel one week (2 hotel rooms - one for us, one for the kids) - that's got to be around 2000 per room per week - so that's 4000 more. So it's a 10,000 vacation. OKAY!

Of course I realize that I paid (so no one runs off and buys developer without thinking it ALL through) the Interval fee, and exchange fee, the maintance fees, the fee to deposit for points).

Now for the question - How likely will my Aruba - July 10th 2009 - pull either Kauai or Maui for July 3 or 10???? It's in Interval's hands (I did deposit first knowing that was the best way, right?) Is there anything I should do besides wait???

THANKS!

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Ellen Congratulations on having it mostly put together. I remember when you originally posted about wanting advice on how to put this all together. Were you able to get your FF tickets for the standard amount of miles or did you have to go for extra points to get "anytime awards"?

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Ellen Congratulations on having it mostly put together. I remember when you originally posted about wanting advice on how to put this all together. Were you able to get your FF tickets for the standard amount of miles or did you have to go for extra points to get "anytime awards"?

I had to do anytime - expensive (in miles). It cost 280K for the 2 first class, and 140K for the two coach.

Do you think I'll get a trade?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to take a studio or 1BR, I think your chances are good.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen-

Congrats on your success!
I think you'll get your trade to Hawaii, be patient! With the economy and high airfares, I think many owners will deposit for 2009 instead of using their weeks in Hawaii. It should be a good year to get a trade to Hawaii.

I used a travel package for my son's honeymoon last June. It is so exciting when everything comes together- the travel package puzzle pieces all line up! The exchange to Phuket was available before I even started. But airfare was so high, over $2,000 each. It took many days of searching to find flights on the days we needed them. I was able to get both of them on United for 120,000 miles. Marriott was great to work with and answered many questions on the phone. The miles were in my account in less than 24 hours and United got the tickets issued! It's a great feeling!

I still have the 7 night certificate they didn't use. I was going to have them stay in the JW Phuket for 5 nights, then the timeshare exchange. During Flexchange another week became available for the timeshare (Phuket Beach Club) and so I booked that.

I also got them a couple of the dinner for two certificates ($109) and they used those at the JW for some great dinners.

I have two younger sons so I'm saving those Marriott points!

Good luck with your exchange!

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to do anytime - expensive (in miles). It cost 280K for the 2 first class, and 140K for the two coach.

Do you think I'll get a trade?

Ellen-

I just noticed your tickets were 420K for all four seats? Wow, that's a lot of points! How many packages did you redeem?

How come tickets on United all the way from US to Phuket were 60,000 and US Air charges 70,000 to Hawaii? Is Hawaii more on all the airlines?

I'm not used to booking flights on miles, so I was surprised by the amount it took for your tickets.

edited to add- Yes I think you'll get your trade! Good luck!

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you already reserve Maui hotel before getting the air tickets?

Last edited:

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a 1 Bedroom in Maui yesterday. I locked off Aruba and deposited our 1 bedroom last week. I called Interval yesterday just to find out how to make a request and they said they have a unit for July3rd at MOC. I am still looking to get to Tahiti from there for 2 weeks. The airfare system for FF has changed dramatically. Last time we were lucky to get bed's on Quantas but they no longer participate. Also the computer system with the Star Alliance has changed and they can only look up a day at a time for FF seats out of the country. I will continue to do my own research for flights and hope to find an AC week to add somewhere during flexchange next year that we can use during our trip.

I suggest you keep calling as well.

Sue

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen-

I just noticed your tickets were 420K for all four seats? Wow, that's a lot of points! How many packages did you redeem?

How come tickets on United all the way from US to Phuket were 60,000 and US Air charges 70,000 to Hawaii? Is Hawaii more on all the airlines?

I'm not used to booking flights on miles, so I was surprised by the amount it took for your tickets.

edited to add- Yes I think you'll get your trade! Good luck!

140 each for the first class. It's normally 70K - but there were NO regular - I had to "pay" premium. I was willing to do it.
70 each for coach. Regular is 35K. Again, I was willing.

I only got 240K from USAIR. We had a bunch of USAIR miles of our own for the rest.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you already reserve Maui hotel before getting the air tickets?

No - I requested a trade into Maui AND into Kauai - two different weeks. The first one I get, I nab. If I get Kauai - I'm not going to Maui because the hotel there is a category 7 and I only got a category 6 certificate. (See why points are so difficult?). So if I get Kauai - I will go to the Big Island (in a Marriott hotel). If I get Maui, I will stay in a Marriott hotel in Kauai.

Does this make sense? 1 bedroom will be too small.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
This is outstanding. I hope your trip to Hawaii is at least as good as the one you had in Spain.:cheer:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting all the pieces of your trip together! We got first class air to Maui 2 months before we left to Ocean Club so it is possible.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way to go! I went 1c from Philly in May. That was my first (and likely last) first class plane ride. It was embarassingly nice. If I win Poweball I will never fly any other way.
I am guessing you'll get your trade. There is always Oahu, too. If you haven't been there, my opinion is Oahu is greatly underrated on travel boards. Maui is great---but the 3 in my family who have been there (2 of us twice) like Oahu better (2 of us both times). I only mention this because I think KoOlina will be a fairly easy trade for Aruba. It is a gorgeous resort. Not as much around as Maui, though, but the resort and units are fantastic. Maui's new towers are great, too. We own in the old "pink" part. Nothing at all wrong with it but by comparison to the new towers or Ko'Olina---well, they don't compare.
Have fun on the plane...I did!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way to go! I went 1c from Philly in May. That was my first (and likely last) first class plane ride. It was embarassingly nice. If I win Poweball I will never fly any other way.
I am guessing you'll get your trade. There is always Oahu, too. If you haven't been there, my opinion is Oahu is greatly underrated on travel boards. Maui is great---but the 3 in my family who have been there (2 of us twice) like Oahu better (2 of us both times). I only mention this because I think KoOlina will be a fairly easy trade for Aruba. It is a gorgeous resort. Not as much around as Maui, though, but the resort and units are fantastic. Maui's new towers are great, too. We own in the old "pink" part. Nothing at all wrong with it but by comparison to the new towers or Ko'Olina---well, they don't compare.
Have fun on the plane...I did!

Currently I do not have a request in for Ko0lina because I'm hoping to do Kona or Maui rather than Oahu. But it's a good idea if nothing comes through by Christmas.

This is the first time I've waited for a trade. I'm not a patient person - not knowing makes me nervous.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I agree with Mike above...esp. if you haven't been to Oahu, you should think about it. My family also prefers it, although we had a great time on the other islands as well. While Ko'Olina is in a more remote area, there is a lot to do on the island and driving is pretty easy (except for the downtown traffic towards Waikiki).