• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TPU value

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - 60 is max, but most timeshares are less than 40.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends ... what are your MF cost per TPU?

Is that the largest TPU for your size unit at resort?

I have timeshare weeks at a resort very near the beach. Everyone pays the exact same MFs per size of unit - but individual weeks during a PRIME season still vary in TPU value. And lockoff units - when deposited separately - can get more than 60 TPUs.

I really LIKE staying in the 1bdr side of the lockout and originally thought to just deposit the smaller side ... except that studio unit rents MORE per square foot than the larger unit (still way cheaper per week than a motel room). So I rent the studio ... instead of depositing in RCI.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They don't really equate in any meaningful way. A 42 could get you 8 off season weeks. It should be able to get all but a handful of 1 br prime weeks and about 85-90% of prime 2 br units.

I own both and find that 1 br prime weeks especially at non points resorts are "cheaper" for me using RCI points. Many 2 and 3 br units especially at points resorts are cheaper using tpu's.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I would say 42 TPUs=90-110K RCI points, although it is not a exact cross-over, plus these caveats:
usually a 2Br only cost a few more TPUs than a 1BR, whereas it is usually significantly more in RCi points.
peak weeks seem to get/cost more in TPUs, whereas in RCI points it seems to be more by season, so sometimes you can get a better deal in RCI points for peak weeks.
For getting a prime week, I like points better, and have gotten some units with points that never even showed up in weeks (even though the resort had weeks as well). Ex. S. Cal. in July, Bermuda in Aug., Easter at DVC. I would not have gotten any of those with weeks (I checked for a few weeks after to see if there were any weeks deposits--nope).

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
are 42 TPU's for a two bedroom unit a decent amount of TPU's?

Do you have an RCI account? If so go to the deposit calculator and test out some of the trades you'd like to make to see what they are worth.