• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TPU comparisons

EileenL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am told there are threads here doing comparisons on TPU
If anyone can point me to them - it would be great - I have tried several different searches and not found what I am looking for

I want to know on 1bdr and 2bdr what are the typical TPU

Which resorts are you able leverage your TPU into many vacation weeks

EileenL

TUG Member
Reaction score
would like chart or list

Unfortunately, I can't point you to the exact thread, but here is a list of threads about TPU that may help you - https://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q="tpu"site:tugbbs.com&safe=active

Ok, since you were the one who said there were a lot of threads when I asked about this in another thread - I came over here and spent several hours trying to find the threads you mention with no results and I am good at searching

Now I use your link and when I click one of those links I get this error

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /home/tugbbsc/public_html/forums/includes/cron/session.php
Line: 31 So again

I am hoping someone else here actually can tell me the different TPU values for different resorts - I will continue looking - someone must be knowledgeable in this area who can lead me to Real threads or links that work

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Ok, since you were the one who said there were a lot of threads when I asked about this in another thread - I came over here and spent several hours trying to find the threads you mention with no results and I am good at searching

Now I use your link and when I click one of those links I get this error

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /home/tugbbsc/public_html/forums/includes/cron/session.php
Line: 31 So again

I am hoping someone else here actually can tell me the different TPU values for different resorts - I will continue looking - someone must be knowledgeable in this area who can lead me to Real threads or links that work
http://http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159623

I'm still having the same issue.

nevermind - it's working for me now. :eek:

Sorry I can't help with the tpu issue.

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please post your TPU's - RCI Weeks

I also have spent hours reading previous posts but have not found what I am looking for.

Could some owners please post what TPU's they get and the associated MF's.

What is a good TPU - MF ratio?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one week that gets between 21 and 55 depending on the season, Prime summer being the highest. It is a 1 bdrm unit with maintenance fees of ~$500

I have another week that is also a 1 bedroom and gets between 18-27 depending on season and maintenance fees are ~560

I have a 3 bedroom fixed week that gets 22-23 and maintenance is $525

You can do well with some lockouts depositing each side separately

EileenL

TUG Member
Reaction score
what a range? 3bdr is getting less than the one bdrs

I have one week that gets between 21 and 55 depending on the season, Prime summer being the highest. It is a 1 bdrm unit with maintenance fees of ~$500

I have another week that is also a 1 bedroom and gets between 18-27 depending on season and maintenance fees are ~560

I have a 3 bedroom fixed week that gets 22-23 and maintenance is $525

You can do well with some lockouts depositing each side separately

Thinking of changing my stable of TS
Can you put those numbers with each resort
Were these bought on the resale market? or Bargain basement

Lockouts require more maintenance but they do seem to have higher numbers

Is the 3bdr able to be split into 3 with higher tpu for each individually?

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eileen wrote:
Lockouts require more maintenance but they do seem to have higher numbers

I'm not sure you can say this is always true. We have 3 TS where there is no distinction between the maintenance fee (MF) for any of the various 2BR Units or the MF for any of the various 3BR Units. So the MF is the same for all 2BR, and the same for all 3BR, regardless of how many the unit can sleep or if they can lock-off.

I think the original POA documents, and how the units were deeded and sold has a lot to do with this.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tiger Traders

I guess Tiger Trader is a term of the past. All of the past threads turned into little to no info or off topic rants about something else

So where are these high TPU to MF ratios?

List your best TPU's. It will save me bundles of time looking up individual TPU's for resorts with a few weeks from each season.

List the Resort and the week or specify if it a float.

Bragging rights to the highest!:D

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bad idea to buy just to get a good MF/TPU ratio. Suppose RCI changes its system (again), or decides an area is over-valued?

I've always wanted to have at least two uses for every timeshare I buy -- for example, it had to trade well in both II and RCI, or be a good deal (for the MFs) both in RCI and a small exchange company. However, in 2008 I became quite ill (I am still recovering) and learned the risks of buying just to exchange. I wasn't well enough to travel, and I had all these weeks on deposit with the exchange companies! I gave some weeks to friends/family and donated some exchanges to charity, but I still had a few weeks expire.

My current strategy is that I don't buy weeks just for trading. I want each week I own to be "rentable" for the MFs, so I don't get stuck paying MFs on weeks I can't use. In this economy, it has taken me a while to offload the "non-rentable" weeks, but I have made a lot of progress adjusting my portfolio.

OK, now that I've warned you, let me try to answer your questions.

Over the years, Tuggers have gotten a lot quieter about their best deals. So, until you've "been around" TUG for a while and made some friendships, you may not get a lot of people volunteering information.

One thing you may want to do is go on RCI and search for resorts that cost 33 TPUs or more. That will give you some idea where these resorts are located. You will find that there is one East Coast beach city that gets really high TPUs in the summer. However, I feel that this area is overvalued by RCI and that buying there is risky.

Vacation Village at Parkway (Orlando) has a lot of TUG owners. Peak-season lock-off weeks there have good ratios of MFs to TPUs (and the peak-season Vacation Village at Parkway weeks that have been converted to RCI Points have excellent ratios of MFs to RCI Points.) However, a lot of TUG members feel this resort is overvalued, including me.

I feel a safer area is the Southern California Coast. A number of resorts there give very good MF/TPU ratios for summer weeks. Fixed summer weeks can be hard to find, but weeks that float year-round (or almost year-round) are much cheapers. Be prepared to fight with other owners for those prime July weeks! (Sometimes literally -- apparently, a fistfight broke out a couple of years ago at one of the resorts were I own, between people standing in line to reserve July 4th.) At most resorts, you can reserve summer weeks, but you have to call the moment reservations open, and maybe try for several weeks in a row.

If you want a lot of TPUs, like more than 200 a year (or if you can use 100 pr so TPUs a year and are also willing to rent out some weeks), then I feel the best deal out there is the fractional "UDI" ownership at Christmas Mountain Village in Wisconsin. There is a thread about this resort on the Bargain Board.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Over the years, Tuggers have gotten a lot quieter about their best deals. So, until you've "been around" TUG for a while and made some friendships, you may not get a lot of people volunteering information.

I agree with Judy and this is why: Once it become widely known that a particular resort has high trading value and low maintenance fees, it's much more likely that there will be a glut of deposits, and then, the trading value will go down. So, many people are reluctant to broadcast that kind of info., because ultimately, it is likely to hurt their own trading power.

As Judy said, you can do your own research on RCI and then check ebay and other resale websites, for maintenance fees.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your posts. I never looked at it that way. I thought people didn't want to offer the info because they want to buy the next one on ebay...:eek:

I guess it makes sense what you are saying regarding too many deposits and the TPU value going down.

Maybe my concept of TPU's for trading only is flawed...:shrug:

I will keep researching (off the next two weeks b/c of surgery) but approach more cautiously...

Thanks,
Ryan