• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Toyota

e.bram

Reaction score
Theoretically with all the air molecules movong around randomly, you could toss a tenis ball and it could go up instead of down(no wind of course). Have you ever seen it happen, would you believe anyone who said they did. Same with Toyota alleged acceleration problems.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Take a chance.

Buy an outstanding high-quality used Toyota at a (temporarily) depressed resale price.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Why would I want to take a chance? I will just continue to buy new Hondas as we have for the past 25 years. I don't buy used cars.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a good friend looking at SUV's right now and is leaning towards a Highlander. Makes me nervous as I sometimes ride with her but ... maybe not anymore. The sales guy is telling her they have fixed all the cars on the lot, but he originally told her the Highlander was not part of the recall... it is and consumer reports has pulled its recommendation d/t current situation that is not yet solved.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This morning's Rasmussin Poll shows that 46% of Toyota vehicle owners will NOT buy a Toyota vehicle. It is a shame that this has happened. Toyota was always my second favorite after Honda.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

And here in part is what this says:

"Some 2002 model year Camry vehicles may exhibit a surging during light throttle input at speeds between 38-42 mph," the bulletin states. "The Engine Control Module (ECM) calibration has been revised to correct this condition."

There is a world of difference between 'surging during light throttle inputs', and sudden, uncontrollable acceleration.

Technical Service Bulletins are part every manufacturer's day-to-day way of dealing with things on nearly all models, that get reported after vehicles are released to the public.

I wish the attorneys well. We all know there's a shortage of work for PI lawyers.

Jim Ricks

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have used the title of the article

"Document: Toyota warned dealers of throttle surging in 2002."

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of you ask: But do you really know anyone this has happened to?
Some of you say: It's probably a driver problem.

Let me tell you MY story:

Bought my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan in Dec. 2003. In the Spring of 2004, coming off a hill on a two lane road toward a busy 4 lane highway, put on my brakes as usual (on this road I travel 4 to 5 times a day).

Well, the car slid and did not slow down. Took foot off brake, put brake on again, same result. Van speeding up down the hill. Thought accelerator stuck - pumped accelerator one time to unstick it - did not unstick it. Van just sped up.

Mind goes to panic mode. Frantically pumping brakes, sliding, pumping accelerator - nothing works, just speed up. Gone from 25 mph to 70 mph now. Thinking - if I miraculously cross the 4 lane without getting hit, the road immediately dips on other side - will be airborne.

Okay - thinking turn off ignition. No going too fast to lose power steering or brakes. Last second - my Dad's warning from olden days - neutral, neutral. Thank you, Dad.

Threw the van into neutral. Throw on brakes, which work now, even though can still hear engine revving. Get the van to stop inches from 4 lane highway after sliding all over the road and thinking it's going to turn over.

Turned ignition off. Sat there 10 minutes, shaking, trying to calm self down. Waving cars behind me to go around.

Thinking - it's now or never. Turn ignition on - everything's fine. I go on my way. Has never happened again since this one time.

Wondered if it was something I did - but could not think of one single thing I did. While was going on, drew foot back to seat several times before applying brake, even once actually put head down and looked (I know, dangerous).

Recently took van in to Toyota after all the news about acceleration problems, told them my story. They said, well ma'am, the Sienna hasn't been recalled for that. I said, "I don't care if it has been recalled, it happened. And when it happened, I thought I was going to die." He said okay, they would check it out, which they did, and found nothing wrong.

So, yes, I'm scared of my car; but don't have the money for a different one right now. Every time I get in it, I say, "neutral, neutral."

And, you want to hear something really crazy? My husband just bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra truck less than a week ago. I tried to talk him out of it, but no go. So, I always say to him, just remember, "neutral, neutral."

I posted this because some of you say, yes but do you really know anyone it has happened to? Well, you only know me from this board, but I am here to tell you it is true, it does happen.

Driver problem? I've been driving 45 years; this is the only time in my life this has ever happened to me.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
How much did the Prius cost a few years ago ? Im sure it was more than the $23K Im seeing them advertised now. If the tax credit is $8k then would this car be only $15k ?

I havent met anyone with a problemo with their Prius.

Mo's experience is a really scary experience. Makes you wonder about the reliability and safty of Toyota. Its kinda like Russian Roulette.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How much did the Prius cost a few years ago ? Im sure it was more than the $23K Im seeing them advertised now. If the tax credit is $8k then would this car be only $15k ?

I havent met anyone with a problemo with their Prius.

Where are you seeing them advertised for $23,000? We were on a Toyota lot this past weekend and dh said he saw one for $30,000. That's more than we paid for mine in 2008.

And there have been reported problems with the Prius, just none that have been able to be replicated. That said, I still love my Prius.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where are you seeing them advertised for $23,000? We were on a Toyota lot this past weekend and dh said he saw one for $30,000. That's more than we paid for mine in 2008.

And there have been reported problems with the Prius, just none that have been able to be replicated. That said, I still love my Prius.

The Toyota Dealers in Bellevue WA has 67 2010's starting at about $23K. The Toyota dealer in Kirkland WA has 55 with 3 starting at $23k.

www.autotrader.com

Other than being really small compared to a truck the Prius seems as big as most mid sized cars.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The Toyota Dealers in Bellevue WA has 67 2010's starting at about $23K. The Toyota dealer in Kirkland WA has 55 with 3 starting at $23k.

www.autotrader.com

Other than being really small compared to a truck the Prius seems as big as most mid sized cars.

I've had several "large" friends tell me how comfortable my Prius is.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Whopsie, there is no rebate or tax credit on Prius. There is a sales tax incentive in WA that comes out to about 6.3%. or is there