• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Toss up between 2 islands & 2 Resorts

rachel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you had your choice (which I do at the moment) where would you go;

The Sea Aquarium Resort , Curacao
Pelican Resort, St. Maarten

We have been to neither. I have been to Aruba and loved it.
Also have been to Jamaica, Antigua, Bahamas, Grand Cayman.

Love the landscape of Jamaica!

Help!

Rachel

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go with the Sea Aquarium. I haven't been there, but I have been to St. Martin. While I love the island, I would not want to stay in the Simpson Bay area. Also, the Pelican is rated about a 7 in the TUG Resort Database, while the Sea Aquarium is rated a 9. So, all else being equal (unit size, airfare), I'd go with the higher rating. Check on the airfare, it's a lot more to Curacao from NY than St. Martin generally, but it might be different for you from Texas.

Also, and this is personal to me, but I haven't been to Curacao, so I'd like to see a new island. Have you already been to both or neither?

rachel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been to curacao or st. maarten. We have been to Aruba, which we love. they say the landscape of curacao and aruba are the same.
what is the landscape of st. maarten? Is it tropical? Aruba is dry and desert, I am assuming curacao is the same.

And why not the simpson bay area???

Thanks,

Rachel

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, when we stayed on St. Martin, we were at Oyster Bay Resort by Dawn Beach (I think it is the eastern most point of St. M, right near the border of the French side). Which is away from the congestion of Phillipsburg. We really liked the island - friendly people, good food, good beaches, easy to drive around. Since we planned to return, I toured a few of the other TS listed by II. Simpson Bay is a more crowded area, lots more resorts. I also didn't care for the ones at Maho Bay, closer to the airport. Very bright lights, little Vegas looking at night.

There's a forested mountainous area to explore in the center of the island, but we didn't go there. When we drove around we usually circumnavigated the whole island, stopping for a beach, a meal, or shopping along the way.

The main thing to me, since you haven't been to either resort, is the ratings (2 points is a big difference), and other major expenses of the vacation, i.e. airfare.

rachel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I just switched the pelican resort for the sea aquarium. it is not until 2010 so I have time to research. I liked the look of the sea aquarium and I read alot of negative about st. maarten, not any area in particular just over all. Not sure why. But alot of members on tripadvisor do not recommend. Or I should say they recommend other islands instead.

Thanks for the info.

Rachel

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to curacao as a cruise ship stop on our honeymoon, and really liked it. We did this cool trip where we kayaked and snorkeled. It was fun. Also we liked the floating bridge too!

nickis

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Sea aquarium and love the island for it's diving, it is a lot larger than Aruba but yes just like it. If you dive you will find many a great places to do so and most can be hit from the shore. I would get a car as there are many beaches to see all have a small toll but it's worth it.
They were hit hard this year by OMAR so only time will tell we will be there in june so can update all after then and we won't pull any punches, if the beaches and reef are bad we won't have a problem telling you.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at both and go for Curacao!