• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tornadoes and Ding Dongs

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
We live an area that rarely gets tornadoes (hurricanes much more likely) but one came literally tearing down our residential street on Thursday. We were under a watch and I had just arrived home and walked to the mailbox when I saw the green sky. Ran back into the garage, closing the door to the sound of a train. Made it into our safe room (downstairs powder room) with the 12yo and my Dh who works from home. The power went out almost immediately and we heard a tree fall. Lucked out as it didn’t hit the house, but there’s a large tree down in front along that splintered in half plus the top part of a second tree. Spent yesterday cleaning things up and will borrow a chainsaw today. Most of the neighbors are far worse with trees landing on houses, windows that were blown out, etc. Around the corner it looks like a war zone. We are thankful no one was hurt in our little community.

The power, which had been out since noon Thursday, continues to be out. They keep pushing back the estimate. It’s cold here (low of 30 last night) so after “house camping” the first night and all day yesterday we got a hotel room for last night. Hot shower and heat are bliss and I’m celebrating by eating special edition heart shaped Ding Dongs. They remind me of my childhood in the 70’s. Cheers!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Glad you were out of the direct path and no one was hurt. Hopefully, the utility companies will arrive to repair the power lines.

It's amazing what a luxury a hot shower can be when you don't have hot water. Take care.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
We live an area that rarely gets tornadoes (hurricanes much more likely) but one came literally tearing down our residential street on Thursday. We were under a watch and I had just arrived home and walked to the mailbox when I saw the green sky. Ran back into the garage, closing the door to the sound of a train. Made it into our safe room (downstairs powder room) with the 12yo and my Dh who works from home. The power went out almost immediately and we heard a tree fall. Lucked out as it didn’t hit the house, but there’s a large tree down in front along that splintered in half plus the top part of a second tree. Spent yesterday cleaning things up and will borrow a chainsaw today. Most of the neighbors are far worse with trees landing on houses, windows that were blown out, etc. Around the corner it looks like a war zone. We are thankful no one was hurt in our little community.

The power, which had been out since noon Thursday, continues to be out. They keep pushing back the estimate. It’s cold here (low of 30 last night) so after “house camping” the first night and all day yesterday we got a hotel room for last night. Hot shower and heat are bliss and I’m celebrating by eating special edition heart shaped Ding Dongs. They remind me of my childhood in the 70’s. Cheers!
So glad you’re ok and damage wasn’t worse than it is. Stay safe!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Holy Cow!!! That's a scary situation! Very glad nobody was hurt. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Dave

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Glad you're ok with minimal cleanup/damage. Ho-Ho's take me back

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! I am glad you and your family are alright. You sure moved quickly when you saw the green sky. I have not experienced a tornado and hope never to. The house is standing and the family is safe. That is all that matters. :)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It is good to hear you are ok. How scary it must have been.

Thank you for sharing as it shows even low risk areas get tornados and one should plan where they will go for cover even if their area never had a tornado.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As someone who lived through that weather this week, too...I am glad that y'all are safe and the tree chose wisely to fall away from the house. There were some moments on Thursday and Thursday overnight into Friday that were very touch and go. I spent about an hour in the stairwell of my office building. Schools were closed from noon on Thursday through Friday. It's the first time I remember having a "tornado/flooding" school closure. (We got our first "hurrication" days with Florence, and then Matthew.)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you are safe. You are in our thoughts.

geekette

Reaction score
I am so glad that you knew what that weird-colored sky meant and took action immediately.

I do live in tornado belt but one time was a bit surprised by what a local on camera said, since so many say it sounds like a freight train - "we didn't hear no Woo Woo or nuthin'!" They should not have aired that but it was at least comical for me.

For those of you unfamiliar with tornados, they are not equipped with train horns to alert you. The sky is your first hint and once you are in your safe place, you'll understand what is meant by sounding like a train. It's frightening and very obvious that something major is going on out there.

I'm so glad that you escaped injury and it sounds like only property damage for your neighbors as well. I also have a limit as to how long I will stay here without electricity. I have wood stove so heat isn't the problem. Without electricity, I have no water (I'm on a well with electric pump).

THank you for the report, I'd heard that tornados were breaking out in some weird places.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
So glad to hear you and your family are alright. Far too many people take storm warnings, including tornadoes, far too lightly. We don't get them often through Wisconsin, but they do seem to come at least one a year. To hear people just blow it off as "false warnings" or "the weatherman is never right" frustrates the hell out of me.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I remember ding dongs. They remind me of pucks. Heart shape ding dongs after a storm are a nice touch, imo. Hope your luck continues.

Bill

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes, so glad you're OK!!

We house-camped for a day and evening too, most neighbors spent a bit of time huddled in a closet or hallway, one lost trees and a shed, and this is the first time I remember schools being closed because of wind. Thank heavens for woodstove & propane stove to heat up water for coffee. Luckily power came back after a day & night without. Cheers to all.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 11.27.37 AM - Edited.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 11.27.37 AM - Edited.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 8

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Been through a tornado once; never want to experience another one! The freight train description is spot on.

Kurt