• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Top 5 Maui picks

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
From your observation (not from tug review)

How would you rank Maui resorts including hotels or Non TS resorts.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have visited every single Maui resort.

Here is my ranking:

1) Marriott Ocean Club
2) Westin Kaanapali
3) The Whaler
4) Kaanapali Beach Club (or whatever the Embassy was renamed)
5) The Palms - Wailea (where the HCC unit is)
6) Maui Lea at Maui Hill in Kihei

(revised: I forgot the Whaler)

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Personally, I prefer condos/timeshares over hotel rooms. I've only been to Maui 3 times, so I haven't personally stayed in most of these, but here are my impressions:

Hotels

1. Hyatt Regency - love the area, love the landscaping, love the pool, love the activity center including astrology program, love that it's at the end of the road. Downside: $$$$
2. Sheraton Black Rock - smaller rooms, but awesome location. Very romantic.
3. Four Seasons Wailea - never stayed there, but it's on great Wailea Beach. It's quietly elegant and one of the few hotels in Wailea that doesn't feel overcrowded and overblown.
4. My fourth choice, the Renaissance Wailea, has been torn down to make way for a St. Regis. Grrr.

TSs/condos

1. Kaanapali Alii - if you can afford to rent an oceanfront condo, I'd choose the Alii. The condos are larger, with full kitchens, etc., it's located right on Kaanapali Beach, it has the oceanfront path for taking strolls in the morning...perfect.

2. Westin Kaanapali Villas - I own here because I love this area of Maui. It's quieter than the area south of Black Rock, but I think it's beautiful. The pools are great, the villas are roomy, they offer a complimentary shuttle to Lahaina and Whalers Village -- they did it right.

3. Polo Beach Club - These are privately owned condos which you can book through VRBO. They are right off the oceanfront path in Wailea. They are really, really nice units on a great sandy beach and the oceanfront lanais are to die for.

4. Maui Kai - I've never actually stayed here, but golly gee they have some incredible views as the building was built right ON the beach. They are very affordable compared to most. Available to rent via VRBO.

5. Kaanapali Shores - rented a private unit from VRBO here and it was awesome. The resort was smaller, more intimate and pristine. This place is much more affordable than most.

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
I can't help but chime in on the advantages of the Whaler - incredible views - huge 2 bedroom units - big lanais - Whalers Village next door. I can't wait unitl next May...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is how Tuggers rank the Maui resorts on the TUG review page:

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North - 9.75

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina and Napili Villas - 9.75

High Country Club Maui Palms at Wailea 9.50

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas - 9.38

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - 9.05

Whaler - 8.53

Sands of Kahana - 8.51

Kaanapali Beach Club - 8.40

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the Whaler. I'll update my personal ranking.

I must admit that I like the Lahaina area between than Kihei/Wailea since I believe the views are much better. So, that is the bias in my rankings.

The problem with the Palms at Wailea is that it's not oceanfront. If you don't have an unobstructed view of Molokai and Lanai, you are missing something special when on Maui.

Last edited:

lark

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you include hotels, one I'd add is the Westin. The Westin is (legitimately) frequently criticized for being too big and for having rooms that are too small. Completely justified. However, the Westin is almost like two hotels -- there are two separate towers. The one right on the beach (either the "beach" or "ocean," I can't remember it's too confusing) is amazing. Much bigger rooms, ocean (including a few direct ocean) views and quieter. Closer to the beach. It's like staying in a separate hotel. I like it better than all the others on the K'anapali strip. The rooms in the good tower have the word "Deluxe" in them. I've staying in both towers and it's like two different hotels.