• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Top 10 Scams Targeting Seniors

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
They forgot one

I see they forgot the Libyan Prince email scam that comes in various flavors. But maybe it wasn't included because it's sent to just about everyone and not just seniors? :hysterical:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Revenge Of The Sr. Citz.

What we old folks really is need is Top 10 Ways to outscam the hornswogglers & bamboozlers.

Wouldn't that be something ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. I work for a bank, and I'm in the process of preparing training for our staff on detecting financial abuse of the elderly. The article is very useful.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
This article is too late for our home. DH's mother lives with us because of several of these. The worst part is DH's brother is part of one of the scams, and continues to convince her that the deal that he is working on is just a slow process. She lost her saving, trust, and home while paying for him to live the life he wanted while the deal was in the works. But now she gives him her social security money, because he foisted her on us where she can live for free, so he can have her only remaining income. Not happy about having a 85 year old dependant who complains of having no money because she gives her's all away. DH, the sweetest most patient man, told her she could still live here but was going to have to live off her social security, we are not giving, or 'loaning,' her any money, nor are we going to 'invest' so this can be finalized quicker. No matter how many times we talk to her about it she knows loser son is just a great business man who has more business sense than all the others and the big payoff is only 10 more days away. I would feel sorry for her if she wasn't so stupid. No business transaction takes 20+ years to come to fruition, and where one of the key partners hasn't had a job since 1990.:wall:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Thanks for posting that. I work for a bank, and I'm in the process of preparing training for our staff on detecting financial abuse of the elderly. The article is very useful.

I spent many years working in bank fraud and was on the DA's task force for elder abuse. If you need any help, PM me. One of the biggest things left out of this article, IMHO, are the scumbags who befriend the vulnerable elderly for the sole purpose of stealing their money.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that when legitimate charities, political groups, you-name-it deluge elderly with pleas for donations that this too is a scam. When the handwriting on a check becomes scraggly and they know the recipient is elderly then instead of sending more targeted pleas the companies should instead back off.

I see people with mail targeted to their age group and so many pleas for donations to help social security survive. SCAM!