• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Too good to be true in Mexico

diannec

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the way to the airport in Cancun we talked to a couple who described an unbelievable deal at the Grand Mayan. They said they turned in two timeshares they owned, one I know doesn't have great trading power because we own there as well, and another I'm not certain about. They get a lock-out unit at the Grand Mayan with NO additional costs, and it can be traded for 2 weeks, or by some method I wasn't certain about for 4 weeks. They can use or not use their unit. If they decide not to use it, they can rent it for $5,000! Yes, you heard right. And if they decide not to use it or rent, they don't have4 to pay the maintenance which is around $800 per year. (I could be off on the maintenance costs.) Now to me that is one of those sounds too good to be true deals. Anyone with any information on this one.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the way to the airport in Cancun we talked to a couple who described an unbelievable deal at the Grand Mayan. They said they turned in two timeshares they owned, one I know doesn't have great trading power because we own there as well, and another I'm not certain about. They get a lock-out unit at the Grand Mayan with NO additional costs, and it can be traded for 2 weeks, or by some method I wasn't certain about for 4 weeks. They can use or not use their unit. If they decide not to use it, they can rent it for $5,000! Yes, you heard right. And if they decide not to use it or rent, they don't have4 to pay the maintenance which is around $800 per year. (I could be off on the maintenance costs.) Now to me that is one of those sounds too good to be true deals. Anyone with any information on this one.

Yes, its true.:D You can trade in two timeshares for one Grand Mayan unit, pay nothing additional and then you can rent the Grand Mayan unit for $5000. :D :D With it you also have the opportunity to purchase a bridge in Brooklyn for a dicounted price........

If the resort could rent a GM unit for $5000 why would they sell them to anyone?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pigs fly too

Now to me that is one of those sounds too good to be true deals. Anyone with any information on this one.

It IS too good to be true. It's not true. You kinda knew that already didn't you?

WINSLOW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, its true.:D You can trade in two timeshares for one Grand Mayan unit, pay nothing additional and then you can rent the Grand Mayan unit for $5000. :D :D With it you also have the opportunity to purchase a bridge in Brooklyn for a dicounted price........

If the resort could rent a GM unit for $5000 why would they sell them to anyone?

Your so Funny! I started reading your response and was like "Really???", until I got to the end. Thanks for the laugh. Very funny

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Noticing The Formation Of My Own Prejudices While They Are Still Forming.

Maybe I should be lots more open minded, but I have noticed myself forming a distinct prejudice against buying any timeshares down Mexico way.

Ditto any WestGate timeshares anywhere.

Am I forming irrational prejudices ?

Or am I merely paying attention to the various TUG voices of experience ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Or am I merely paying attention to the various TUG voices of experience ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

You're hearing voices? In this case its a GOOD thing.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it sounds to good to be true......well you know the rest.....

I am a Mayan Palace Regency 2 bedroom, lock off unit, and that is well too good to be true so.....you already know the answer!!!

diannec

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course I knew it was too good to be true!

Of course, I knew the Mayan Palace thing was too good to be true, but I just couldn't burst their bubble as they were heading to the airport after a wonderful trip to Cancun. I just wanted to know what they had really bought. I heard someone say once, that if the salesperson's lips are moving, they are probably lying. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the sales people are probably only told as much as their employers want them to know. What did they really buy after they gave up their two timeshares? That s my question. I hope they will at least have a week in Cancun every year.

We almost fell for something similar in the U.S. a while back--i.e. giving up two of our timeshares for one better one, but it also carried a rather hefty little additional charge, and I thought to myself--"Are you crazy, this isn't a deal at all, it is just smoke and mirrors."

Dianne