• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tips for using RCI with Wyndham?

TjTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA
I have some Wyndham points coming in and want to learn how to use RCI effectively. I will be using RCI for Mexico trips, maybe some Thailand trips, DVC and premium trades in the US. Any tips to maximize my trading power and points usage? I will have 336k yearly and 154k EOYE. Thanks for your help!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I personally only find RCI useful for staying at Saratoga Springs, that's about it. If you want exotic locations, maybe look at a small 5 to 10k worldmark account to open up Fiji, Mexico and Maui.

TjTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA
I personally only find RCI useful for staying at Saratoga Springs, that's about it. If you want exotic locations, maybe look at a small 5 to 10k worldmark account to open up Fiji, Mexico and Maui.

What months are most available for SSR?

bobbyoc23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Desert
Attitash Mountain Village
What months are most available for SSR?

From what I've seen it's rare and unpredictable. Although I feel that they are more common in the summer months. Don't forget that any RCI exchange comes with a $239 exchange fee, and I think there's another fee for DVC exchanges... maybe an additional $200.

I mainly use RCI for the last call deals - you can get some great weeks for less than $300.

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
I have some Wyndham points coming in and want to learn how to use RCI effectively. I will be using RCI for Mexico trips, maybe some Thailand trips, DVC and premium trades in the US. Any tips to maximize my trading power and points usage? I will have 336k yearly and 154k EOYE. Thanks for your help!

There isn’t “trading power” you use your points. Exchanges to Mexico are pretty easy and you can typically get holidays as long as you’re booking far in advance. On going search will be your best friend for trying to get DVC. For Thailand, I have seen the Wyndham Grand Phuket in RCI so you will most likely need to set an ongoing search for it too.

TjTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA
There isn’t “trading power” you use your points. Exchanges to Mexico are pretty easy and you can typically get holidays as long as you’re booking far in advance. On going search will be your best friend for trying to get DVC. For Thailand, I have seen the Wyndham Grand Phuket in RCI so you will most likely need to set an ongoing search for it too.

Thanks, I like those point values.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I like those point values.
I've found Saratoga to actually be pretty common. Here is whats available for DVC now

Old Key West:
1592566764748.png

Saratoga Springs:
1592567045742.png

1592567108728.png

Attachments

• 1592566939838.png
    1592566939838.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1592567008536.png
    1592567008536.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 20

TjTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA
Thanks, I'll watch for an early Dec or jan trip once my contracts come through.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Early December is one of those periods that is typically difficult to exchange into DVC. January is typically easier. However, we NO idea how the ongoing restrictions due to COVID will impact deposit patterns. Everything we think we know could be out the window.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rarely deposit my Wyndham points to RCI as it is a more expensive avenue for their use. I have used RCI for Mexico as the point value for exchange is much less. i book both the Cabo San Lucus and Playa Del Carmen areas. Example is for a one bedroom at a non all inclusive resort is 63,000 points. The equation I use to figure my actual cost is cost of points+exchange fee 63,000x.007+239.00=680.00 which is pretty cheap considering what maintenance fees are at most of the high quality resorts I exchange into. I own a ton of contracts in Playa and Cabo and my maintenance fees for one bedrooms are between 800-1,000 dollars. I’ve also found other Wyndham owners who have RCI points expiring that we help each other out. To those cost you have to add 89.00 guest confirmation. If you have points to use or lose or Wyndham does not have property where you want to travel then it’s a no brainer. I’ve noticed as of late most US resorts I’ve been looking at are now also charging a resort fee so you have to factor that in also to complete cost.
Fortunately for Wyndham points owners for 2020 we are able to roll our points forward as late as Dec.31,2020.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Don't forget that if you're VIPG or VIPP, you can deposit points to RCI and get a room size upgrade in the quiet or value season, so the cost could be 35K points (upgraded to 63K points) x $4.41/K points (Bali Hai) + $239 = $393.35. Not too shabby a deal.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that if you're VIPG or VIPP, you can deposit points to RCI and get a room size upgrade in the quiet or value season, so the cost could be 35K points (upgraded to 63K points) x $4.41/K points (Bali Hai) + $239 = $393.35. Not too shabby a deal.
I have found there is value in using RCI. Like any system learn it and make it work for your traveling needs.

MikeandLisaR

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Canterbury 210,000 odd, 308,000 even, access 28,000
What is the difference between exchanging and transferring points? Or did the cost to transfer unused points go up $200.00 +/-? Cause it only cost me like 30 bucks.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rarely deposit my Wyndham points to RCI as it is a more expensive avenue for their use. I have used RCI for Mexico as the point value for exchange is much less. i book both the Cabo San Lucus and Playa Del Carmen areas. Example is for a one bedroom at a non all inclusive resort is 63,000 points. The equation I use to figure my actual cost is cost of points+exchange fee 63,000x.007+239.00=680.00 which is pretty cheap considering what maintenance fees are at most of the high quality resorts I exchange into. I own a ton of contracts in Playa and Cabo and my maintenance fees for one bedrooms are between 800-1,000 dollars. I’ve also found other Wyndham owners who have RCI points expiring that we help each other out. To those cost you have to add 89.00 guest confirmation. If you have points to use or lose or Wyndham does not have property where you want to travel then it’s a no brainer. I’ve noticed as of late most US resorts I’ve been looking at are now also charging a resort fee so you have to factor that in also to complete cost.
Fortunately for Wyndham points owners for 2020 we are able to roll our points forward as late as Dec.31,2020.
The resort fee is a deal breaker for me. I just think its a money grab. Las Vegas started the BS fee and many foolish people pay it IMHO!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between exchanging and transferring points? Or did the cost to transfer unused points go up $200.00 +/-? Cause it only cost me like 30 bucks.
You have to transfer Wyndham points to RCI account to book RCI exchanges. It was a free to transfer points if you had reservation credits available if not it was only $19.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
The resort fee is a deal breaker for me. I just think its a money grab. Las Vegas started the BS fee and many foolish people pay it IMHO!

The DVC RCI resort fee is still a good deal relative to using DVC points to stay in a 1 bedroom though. I won't touch the HGVC properties on RCI though because of their $25/day B.S.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
We have gotten RCI trades into SSR in Jan, Feb, Mar(harder), May, Sept, and Oct (difficult). We haven’t tried for the other months. Oh yeah, we got AKV in March, which is quite unusual.

bobbyoc23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Desert
Oh yeah, we got AKV in March, which is quite unusual.

This year? Was this through an ongoing search, or did you just find it when browsing the exchange vacations?

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Yes, it was this year. I was in NYC and just happened to just randomly look late at night (around midnight) and there it was (I guess just waiting for me), and less than 3 weeks out so it was less points than normal. The trip was one week before quarantine started.

bobbyoc23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Desert
Interesting. I wonder when RCI updates their inventory. I used to check around 6-7am and would find Saratoga Springs (and sometimes Old Key West) every once in a while. I'm not interested in traveling their now, but if I ever am I'll start looking just after midnight...