• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tipping Recommendations for MVC Properties

LeesOfTheRockies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
Marriott Destination Club Points
Is there a good rule of thumb for tipping at timeshare properties? It seems to me the rules for tipping at hotels don't necessarily apply to timeshare because housekeeping at timeshare properties might only be performed before checkin and after checkout. So, the $5 per night rule may not be appropriate. On the other hand, cleaning a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa with a full kitchen requires a whole lot more effort than cleaning a basic hotel room. Is it preferable to tip per housekeeping visit over tipping per night?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We do $20 per week. If there is a mid-week tidy, we leave another $20. With the most 2 recent stays, one at Worldmark and the other at Marriott, the strangest thing happened. We left the tip on the dining table and both times, the money was moved and left on the kitchen counter. It had never happened to us before. I wonder if housekeeping is now told not to pick up tip that is left for them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
We always leave a signed note with a tip.

LeesOfTheRockies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
Marriott Destination Club Points
We do $20 per week. If there is a mid-week tidy, we leave another $20. With the most 2 recent stays, one at Worldmark and the other at Marriott, the strangest thing happened. We left the tip on the dining table and both times, the money was moved and left on the kitchen counter. It had never happened to us before. I wonder if housekeeping is now told not to pick up tip that is left for them.
That's exactly what we leave too. It's good to know we're not out of range with what others are tipping.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually do 10 for a studio, 20 for a 1br and 30 for larger. 5 for each interaction with the valet.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tip a dollar or two if I need something delivered to the unit that was missing or for other reasons. I leave 20 for a week when I leave the unit. I also leave things that we didn't use including non perishable and unopened food.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I leave the tip on my pillow. They always take it.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I tend to tip depending on the circumstances and keeping in mind that I'm already paying for housekeeping when I use my own weeks. Looking back at the budgets for my ownerships, which are at Westins since I haven't received a bill for my first Marriott ownership yet, housekeeping ranges from $52.81 for a studio at Lagunamar to $402.43 for a 1 BR at St John. I do realize that the budgeted amounts aren't limited to salary but am much more motivated to tip when I visit Lagunamar than I am at St John, particularly when the management briefs us at the owners get together about how they needed to offer significant raises to retain the staff given pressures due to other hotels reopening. I adjust what I leave for great service.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
We tip. However, I don't understand how the tips are handled as there is typically only 1 cleaning before check-in and then no further interaction with the cleaning crew. Any insight to how the cleaning personnel are actually rewarded?

Of course, this does not address the personal services as they occur.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We tip. However, I don't understand how the tips are handled as there is typically only 1 cleaning before check-in and then no further interaction with the cleaning crew. Any insight to how the cleaning personnel are actually rewarded?

Of course, this does not address the personal services as they occur.
I suspect your tip goes to the person who grabs it. So that would be the person that cleans the room after you checkout.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We leave our tip on the dining room table with a smiley 😊 face note.
The cash is on top of the smiley 😊 face note. LOL

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
There is an exception to this in the way Boston Custom House seems to work. We see the cleaning personnel around us about every day and have become familiar with them over the years. Longevity seems to be valued there and the cleaning and service personnel are the best I've seen in the Marriott world.

It's easy to feel good about tipping at the Custom House.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tip a dollar or two if I need something delivered to the unit that was missing or for other reasons. I leave 20 for a week when I leave the unit. I also leave things that we didn't use including non perishable and unopened food.
I don't typically tip for someone bringing me something that I should have had when I checked in, or to replace a broken item. I will tip if I am asking for something extra.

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Note gets crumpled up and put in the trash, cash gets put in the pocket.
My last stay at Desert Springs in January, I stopped at the front desk and asked for a note pad as we forgot to bring one. Was told, "We no longer provide the "Marriott Note pads." So much for leaving a note.

Also in the packet they give at check in was an envelope marked, "Staff Gratuity" or some such words.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
I suspect your tip goes to the person who grabs it. So that would be the person that cleans the room after you checkout.
I had a mid-week cleaning and was happy. I called the front desk to learn the person's name. I then went to the front desk and left $20 in an envelope with a note.

My trip to Phoenix was $1,900 for 2 plane tickets
$1,100 for 2 weeks car rental
2 timeshare weeks at $1,900 maintenance fees
I probably spent $1,000 on dining out

$6,000 vacation

If I am blessed enough to do this 2-3 times a year, I feel better about tipping the cleaning staff. I also tipped pretty well at some activities. I send in lunch 2-3 times a year.

People working at Vacation Club are not the counter service at Einstein's who turn the credit card machine around to get a tip for very little service. I see many Vacation Club staff several times over the years.

You also need to complete the survey after your stay. Say something specific about staff that were great. They get rewards from the company called "Way To Go" If you recognize how many of the staff make your trip better, you might start doing something for them.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Note gets crumpled up and put in the trash, cash gets put in the pocket.
I usually find your advice on Vacation Club helpful. Many self help and motivational books emphasize that your life is better when you look for something to be grateful for every day.

Sir John Templeton of The Templeton Funds was one of the most generous people. He funded studies on generosity. You can learn about 15 benefits of generosity here:

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I usually find your advice on Vacation Club helpful. I am disappointed at your pissing on this thread. Many self help and motivational books emphasize that your life is better when you look for something to be grateful for every day.

Sir John Templeton of The Templeton Funds was one of the most generous people. He funded studies on generosity. You can learn about 15 benefits of generosity here:

I don't think he pissed on the thread, I think he interjected a bit of reality. He wasn't arguing that people should not (or should) tip, just that the cash goes in the pocket and the note goes in the trash. Maybe sometimes it even gets read first.

If you want to tell yourself that the housekeeper takes your note home and sticks it on the fridge, you are welcome to do so.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My last stay at Desert Springs in January, I stopped at the front desk and asked for a note pad as we forgot to bring one. Was told, "We no longer provide the "Marriott Note pads." So much for leaving a note.

Also in the packet they give at check in was an envelope marked, "Staff Gratuity" or some such words.
We have never received a “Staff Gratuity” envelope from any timeshare stays in over thirty (30) years.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We have never received a “Staff Gratuity” envelope from any timeshare stays in over thirty (30) years.
Really? We have many times. The first one was in 1987 at Lawrence Welk in Escondido, CA.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I leave the tip on my pillow. They always take it.
We leave it on the pillow too, $20 for each week. No matter what the resort charges, I appreciate people that work hard for a living. I like to think it's helping the local economy.