• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timing of fee payment

Reaction score
Given the state of the Canadian Dollar, I am trying to figure out when to pay our fees for 2016.

Does anyone know when is the latest they can be paid without disruption of our ownership or plans for using the unit in 2016?

Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Aren't they already due for 2016 usage?

Without knowing the future of US-CAN dollar changes - not sure if this can be answered. If it could, we could all make a fortune.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Date due should be on the bill. I would go with that date if you are concerned about disruption for late payment.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the state of the Canadian Dollar, I am trying to figure out when to pay our fees for 2016.

Does anyone know when is the latest they can be paid without disruption of our ownership or plans for using the unit in 2016?

Thanks!
Varies by property.

For Phase II Harborside, due date was 1/15/16 (yesterday) for the 2016 use year. I suppose they would likely give you some grace period, but ultimately they could cancel any 2016 reservations for mfs not paid after the due date.

-ryan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I also believe there may be a late payment fee. I would not risk losing a reservation - especially at Harborside, by making my payment late. If they cancel your reservation, you are unlikely to be able to recover it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks all. I wasn't aware that the date was looming or just past. I took care of it. Better safe than sorry... and the Cdn $ may drop lower before it comes back up again.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I wasn't aware that the date was looming or just past. I took care of it. Better safe than sorry... and the Cdn $ may drop lower before it comes back up again.

Um, the date should be clearly listed on your fee statement, or you can check it online at MSC. Assuming every property is due around the same time (all of our are within a few days of each other in the first week of Jan), I'm going to guess you're at least week late...

I am betting we're going to see a few more cents drop to 65c before it starts coming up very very slowly over the next few years, but even then, I am only thinking it will get back up to the 80c range if we're lucky.

The drop in oil is killing it, and the fact our central bank is basically saying we're not going to follow discount rate increases in the US, and perhaps even considering negative rates, I think the days of the loonie being at par with the USD are probably gone.

Last edited:

trexmdr

Reaction score
So does that mean there are some good vacation and/or timeshare purchase deals for those buying in US dollars?
RT

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So does that mean there are some good vacation and/or timeshare purchase deals for those buying in US dollars?
RT

Yes, vacationing in Canada will be at a 30% discount for at least the next year or so.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, vacationing in Canada will be at a 30% discount for at least the next year or so.

Depends. Some locations may be taking advantage of the situation and not giving out as good of a deal as they should be.

We were just up in Whistler at Christmas time, and the place was completely packed, and I'm sure that prices were a good 20% higher than they should be normally, even taking in to account the time of year, etc.

I noticed at least one restaurant's bill said "in Canada, it is customary to tip 20-25%", which is a bit high, especially given the rather lack of service in most places.

And a lot of places were giving 20% exchange on USD cash, where the exchange rate is well over 40% right now. Smart serving staff are probably pocketing 20% by swapping out CAD cash for USD cash.