• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timesharing in LA

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I’m looking to go to LA next year but I’m not finding any timeshares in LA(RCI) I have however found Peacock Suits in Anaheim.

I know that Anaheim is about 30min out of LA.

What other options do I have except for booking a regular hotel?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't believe there are any timeshares in LA.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
What options do I have then?
Are you planning to stay just in LA or are you going to travel to other
cities in California? There are timeshares in other California locations. If just staying in LA, hotels or private
rentals like VRBO or AirB&B.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
And Los Angeles is huge. There are areas you'd want to stay in, and areas you don't want to stay in.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I know that Anaheim is about 30min out of LA.
Maybe if you're driving at 3 a.m. when there is no one else on the road.

I commuted for a few years from Orange County (where Anaheim is) to Los Angeles. On a "good" morning we could make it there in an hour. Many days it took longer. And this was 40 years ago.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to stay just in LA or are you going to travel to other
cities in California? There are timeshares in other California locations. If just staying in LA, hotels or private
rentals like VRBO or AirB&B.

Idea was to see and explore some of the sites around LA for 3-4 days and after that go to Vegas for 3-4 days as well.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe if you're driving at 3 a.m. when there is no one else on the road.

I commuted for a few years from Orange County (where Anaheim is) to Los Angeles. On a "good" morning we could make it there in an hour. Many days it took longer. And this was 40 years ago.
And Los Angeles is huge. There are areas you'd want to stay in, and areas you don't want to stay in.

So what would a good area either in LA or outside LA be?

I’d prefer not to spend 1-2 hours in my car each day to get to and from LA.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Generally speaking, timeshares are not located in major metropolitan areas.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, timeshares are not located in major metropolitan areas.

I’d figured that after looking in rci but I was sort of hoping other mini systems had something in LA.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
So what would a good area either in LA or outside LA be?

I’d prefer not to spend 1-2 hours in my car each day to get to and from LA.

What are you going to LA to do?

Beach? Stay in Santa Monica
Chi chi shopping and dining? Stay in Beverly Hills
Universal Studios? Stay in Universal City
Old school Hollywood? Stay in the Hollywood Hills
Theater and performing arts? Stay downtown

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
In terms of deciding where to stay in greater LA, I would first choose what sights are important for you to see and then find a place to stay that is not too far from that area (or in that area). That way you will minimize the horrific LA traffic.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LA is a very large geographical area. Anaheim is as good as any place to stay at. Using a hotel close to where you want to go is my recommendation.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, we move after two nights or so if we're moving even 20 miles in the area.

Anaheim for Disneyland, then Laguna Beach or Santa Monica for beaches and West Hollywood for Griffith Park, Hollywood Bowl and the Getty museum. I loathe sitting in traffic. For others, that might be too much packing up. YMMV.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Los Angeles. If it is the "tourist" type sites that you are wanting to see such as, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Downtown LA, etc., then your best bet is to stay in a hotel either near downtown LA, Hollywood or Santa Monica. Driving here can be very frustrating (and you do need a car). To just get from the East side (Pasadena, etc) to the West Side (Santa Monica) can take as long as 2 hours sometimes. It is a fun place to explore, including Griffith Park, The Griffith Park Observatory, etc. Wow, there is so much to see that I don't think you can get it all in 3 or 4 days so you should pick whatever you decide is a "must see" for you and then find a hotel close to that area. We do love our city and enjoy taking our out of town guests around, but there never seems to be enough time to show them all they want to see. Good luck in planning your trip.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Los Angeles. If it is the "tourist" type sites that you are wanting to see such as, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Downtown LA, etc., then your best bet is to stay in a hotel either near downtown LA, Hollywood or Santa Monica. Driving here can be very frustrating (and you do need a car). To just get from the East side (Pasadena, etc) to the West Side (Santa Monica) can take as long as 2 hours sometimes. It is a fun place to explore, including Griffith Park, The Griffith Park Observatory, etc. Wow, there is so much to see that I don't think you can get it all in 3 or 4 days so you should pick whatever you decide is a "must see" for you and then find a hotel close to that area. We do love our city and enjoy taking our out of town guests around, but there never seems to be enough time to show them all they want to see. Good luck in planning your trip.

As this will be our first sort of longer stay we want to do the tourist attractions, Hollywood, Santa Monica pier, downtown LA, Beverly Hills, walk of fame, Venice beach, Dolby theatre.

We do expect to rent a car so that is not a problem.

The plan is that we will be visiting during February 2020 so I know the weather will not be super hot but more on the colder side but not freezing.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
As this will be our first sort of longer stay we want to do the tourist attractions, Hollywood, Santa Monica pier, downtown LA, Beverly Hills, walk of fame, Venice beach, Dolby theatre.

We do expect to rent a car so that is not a problem.

The plan is that we will be visiting during February 2020 so I know the weather will not be super hot but more on the colder side but not freezing.
I grew up in Southern California, so I may be jaded in my view of the tourist attractions.

What in Hollywood do you want to see? The Hollywood sign? Some of the grand old theaters, like Grauman's Chinese and the stars on the sidewalk? That will take you about 30 minutes, max. By walk of fame, do you mean the stars on the side walk?

What in Beverly Hills? Rodeo Drive? The movie stars homes (most stars live all over the place, not just in Beverly Hills).

What in downtown LA? And what do you consider downtown LA? I worked in downtown LA and when I was there, there wasn't much to see, and it was an area we were told to clear out of before it got dark.

Are you going to try to see some kind of performance at the Dolby Theater, or just drive by to see it?

I spent many summer days when I was a teenager at Santa Monica beach. Don't remember anything memorable about the pier, but again I may be jade. And sad to say, I've never been to Venice Beach.

Some years back we took a coastal vacation by car with our daughters. We didn't spend more than a night or two anywhere, but we did stay in Beverly Hills (at the Hilton) on the way south. It was a pretty good location to get around. We didn't go most of the places you mentioned but we did go to Rodeo Drive, the LaBrea Tar Pits, and UCLA as our younger dd wanted to see it.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I grew up in Southern California, so I may be jaded in my view of the tourist attractions.

What in Hollywood do you want to see? The Hollywood sign? Some of the grand old theaters, like Grauman's Chinese and the stars on the sidewalk? That will take you about 30 minutes, max. By walk of fame, do you mean the stars on the side walk?

What in Beverly Hills? Rodeo Drive? The movie stars homes (most stars live all over the place, not just in Beverly Hills).

What in downtown LA? And what do you consider downtown LA? I worked in downtown LA and when I was there, there wasn't much to see, and it was an area we were told to clear out of before it got dark.

Are you going to try to see some kind of performance at the Dolby Theater, or just drive by to see it?

I spent many summer days when I was a teenager at Santa Monica beach. Don't remember anything memorable about the pier, but again I may be jade. And sad to say, I've never been to Venice Beach.

Some years back we took a coastal vacation by car with our daughters. We didn't spend more than a night or two anywhere, but we did stay in Beverly Hills (at the Hilton) on the way south. It was a pretty good location to get around. We didn't go most of the places you mentioned but we did go to Rodeo Drive, the LaBrea Tar Pits, and UCLA as our younger dd wanted to see it.

Wow, Luanne, you seem to have totally missed the boat on great things to do in LA. Just in three minutes off the top of my head--

1. Hike or horseback ride in Griffith Park
2. Directors screening of a movie at the Arclight Cinema
3. Studio tour- best bets are Paramount or Warner Brothers
4. Walking food tour or downtown LA, visit Angel's Flight, the Bradbury Building and Grand Central Market, visit the Broad Museum, catch a show at the Disney Concert Hall
5. Universal Studios theme park
6. Walk Venice beach and canals
7. Ride the rides on Santa Monica Pier and visit the incredible Wed or Sat Farmer's Markets
8. Great museums like Getty, the Getty Villa, LACMA, Petersen Automotive Museum and yes, I agree- the LaBrea Tar Pits
9. Eat fabulous food in one of the best food cities in the world

Personally, I'd say look for an AirBnB in the Laurel Canyon area. We used to live there and apart from rush hour, you can zip east-west on Mulholland Dr fairly easily.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi Luanne,
LA has changed tremendously in the last 10 years. Now it is a destination place and there is so much to see and do in downtown L.A. The arts district and the area around Staples Center has grown with many luxury condos and apartments nearby. There is even a Ralphs downtown now. I think if you came back you would not recognize it.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cyberc,

It sounds like the best place for you to find a place to stay, would be in or around Hollywood or Beverly Hills. Then you would be close to all the places that you mentioned.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Wow, Luanne, you seem to have totally missed the boat on great things to do in LA. Just in three minutes off the top of my head--

1. Hike or horseback ride in Griffith Park
2. Directors screening of a movie at the Arclight Cinema
3. Studio tour- best bets are Paramount or Warner Brothers
4. Walking food tour or downtown LA, visit Angel's Flight, the Bradbury Building and Grand Central Market, visit the Broad Museum, catch a show at the Disney Concert Hall
5. Universal Studios theme park
6. Walk Venice beach and canals
7. Ride the rides on Santa Monica Pier and visit the incredible Wed or Sat Farmer's Markets
8. Great museums like Getty, the Getty Villa, LACMA, Petersen Automotive Museum and yes, I agree- the LaBrea Tar Pits
9. Eat fabulous food in one of the best food cities in the world

Personally, I'd say look for an AirBnB in the Laurel Canyon area. We used to live there and apart from rush hour, you can zip east-west on Mulholland Dr fairly easily.
I didn't say there weren't great things to do in the Los Angeles area. What I was questioning was exactly WHAT the OP wants to see. Just saying "I want to see Beverly Hillls...or Hollywood....or downtown LA doesn't tell me much. Your list is much better.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Yes, nice to have that list. And the OP could pick several interesting places from that list since they apparently needed ideas. We have been down to southern CA the last 4 years several times a year since our grandson has been in college here (near Anaheim) for 4 years and now a granddaughter is at UCLA for the last two years. We just discovered Griffith Park ourselves this year since we had time going to UCLA from the Anaheim area and went early for our granddaughter's concert.

We stay in airbnb's in the city! There are lots and a great variety to pick from.

We do book two weeks of fabulous timeshares in Laguna Beach from Platinum Interchange - a smaller exchange company - when only going two an fro from the Anaheim area and it's not bad if we time it well and returning after a concert has been fine late at night.

check out some of my latest BLOG entries - we are still in southern CA now after leaving Seattle Seattle on March 30! (and will drive to another concert tomorrow night!!)
https://ronandjoanjourney.blogspot.com/2019/04/laguna-shores-resort.html