• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares w/Outdoorsy Atmosphere, Cabins and/or Campground Amenities?

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
We enjoy the atmosphere of campgrounds a lot and we still day-visit some, when friends are camping. Knee problems make tent set-up and usage uncomfortable. We sold our camper years ago and we don't go often enough to make it worthwhile to buy and insure another. :( Since we're already paying MFs on our timeshares, renting an RV doesn't appeal. There are no timeshare exchanges into RV companies in areas that interest us, like here in the Carolinas.

Here's what we enjoy about campgrounds and cabin resorts:
  • Evening walks past campsites lit w/patio lights & campfires (level roads preferred).
  • Boat rentals within walking distance.
  • Lake, river or ocean swimming, in addition to a pool.
  • Organized events, like pot-luck dinners and barn dances.
  • Lots of trees (and birds), pine scents, campfire cooking aromas.
  • Mountain views and/or water views.
  • Friendly people - often less guarded and less reserved in campgrounds.
I think DH would really enjoy spending a few days to a week sometime at a timeshare resort that shares facilities with a campground. And I always like to try something new, staying where we've never been before - as long as it's well-maintained. One that I know is good, is Country Hideaway in Cleveland GA. I'd like to learn of more.

So, could you please list any well-maintained timeshare resorts that share nice facilities with a good campground? :hi: Thanks!!!

Last edited:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Presidential Resort, Chancellorvile VA

I own here and love it. We own there but only get 1 week in a cabin every 5 years, but access to the resorts onsite trailers (to rent for $27-48 a night) or we can leave our own trailer there and park it in the trailer campsite areas, or pitch a tent on a platform tent area. Also, you can stay on property for up to 8 months straight out of the year. You can also find them REALLY cheap if you go up to the resort and go near the pavillion parking lot where people are giving away their membership for $350 (for a Gold membership like mine)-$3000.

http://www.wpresort.com/

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Shenandoah Crossing Has Its Own R. V. Campground On Site.

Whether owners get to use the campground free (i.e., no additional charge over & above maintenance fees) when they're not checked into their units or whether there are added campgorund fees, etc., I do know know.

I do remember seeing the campground on site when we were there getting the timeshare tour & sales pitch (for freebies).

We didn't buy -- but we did aggregate the tour freebies with another timeshare promotion. Result -- Compound Freebies !

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Thanks for these two so far. We would be looking to do an exchange into a timeshare week at the place. Are the timeshare units clean and nice? Is the whole resort walkable or do you need to drive to get to the amenities? Thanks again.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Shenandoah Crossing Covers Lots Of Acres.

Thanks for these two so far. We would be looking to do an exchange into a timeshare week at the place. Are the timeshare units clean and nice? Is the whole resort walkable or do you need to drive to get to the amenities? Thanks again.
I'm old folks, so I would not care to try getting round to all the Shenandoah Crossing amenities on foot.

Folks who are young & vigorous might not mind walking, I don't know.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Presidential Resort has cabins and they are rather nice, however the beds are mediocore. The cabins overall have everything you need. Also, the grounds are well maintained and no TS hassles. I don't ever remember being pursued to purchase more for as long as I have owned there (15 yrs). Although I must warn you...its rather difficult to trade there.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of resorts without campgrounds that still have a similar atmosphere, though they may be difficult to identify. Most would be older, smaller resorts where the developer is no longer involved.

The resort we visited in Quebec this month would fit the bill - the units are all cabin-style, modern inside, but slightly rustic looking outside. There is a small lake as well as outdoor and indoor pools. Many of the people we met were regulars, using their home weeks, and pretty much everybody was friendly. The resport held a camfire most nights on the beach, with s'mores for the kids (and adults). One night was supposed to be a nature hike, but it rained. They had activities like a horseshoe tournament, a tennis tournament, and bingo night. The resorts are out there, though I suspect many of them don't get the highest ratings because they are not as fancy and don't have the same amenities as some of the more highly rated resort. But as you point out, the atmosphere does make up for that.

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Mel, could you please share the name of the Quebec resort? :) It sounds very nice and we've never been to Quebec!

Lprstn, those cabin photos look great - I know DH would like them!

I've changed the title of this thread to include resorts with cabins. So far, we have:

1932 - *** - Presidential Resort - Chancellorsville, VA website
1657 - *** - Shenandoah Crossing - Gordonsville, VA website
5306 - SND - Shenandoah Crossing Townhomes - Gordonsville, VA
5387 - *** - Hideaway Hills Resort - Sevierville, TN website
2085 - *** - Country Hideaway GA - Cleveland, GA website

Please share more!!!

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Could this thread please be moved to the Exchanging Forum? Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. It really doesn't have anything to do with "Travel Info" and the process of traveling to timeshare resorts. But it does have to do with selecting exchanges.

:wave: THANK YOU, Mods!!!! :hi: (for your work and efforts here, not just for this!) :hi: