• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares That Disable TV Inputs

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Playa Grande now and wanted to watch some family movies so we tried to hook up the Chromecast. All other inputs have been disabled so you can only watch cable TV.

Is this common at the timeshares you have stayed at? I saw it last year at an all inclusive and Grand Mayan Neuvo Vallerta...

Any idea how to watch a family movie with 4 people on the TV and not the 15 inch laptop???:shrug:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I know why they do it, to cut down on maint call when tech challenged folks push the input button by mistake and can't figure out how to get the tv channels back on.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

friedshrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Many places these days require a digital box connected to the TV to get signal. If so they disconnect then digital box and connect the laptop (both should be HDMI). If the TV still uses the RF signal input for it's signal then you can't.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Can you buy an HDMI cable & hook up the laptop to the TV (thus making the TV your monitor)? DH bought a netbook with an HDMI connection & fairly good quality HDMI cable just to use at timeshares. Many places don't have very good cable packages or we want to watch things that are only on the internet or aren't available where we are (Blue Jays games).

I get to use the netbook when we aren't on vacation! :banana:

~Diane

friedshrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Can you buy an HDMI cable & hook up the laptop to the TV (thus making the TV your monitor)? DH bought a netbook with an HDMI connection & fairly good quality HDMI cable just to use at timeshares. Many places don't have very good cable packages or we want to watch things that are only on the internet or aren't available where we are (Blue Jays games).

I get to use the netbook when we aren't on vacation! :banana:

~Diane

You can physically connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI with no problem but you still won't be able to see what's on the netbook if you can't change inputs on the TV.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
You can physically connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI with no problem but you still won't be able to see what's on the netbook if you can't change inputs on the TV.

Unless the cable input is an HDMI connection and you can swap.

The cable input can be several types, co-ax, HDMI, RCA....so unless you can a) disconnect the cable and b) have a cable compatible with the cable input and the laptop, you will need the capability to switch the source input.

Cheers

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

AND if the HDMI connection is not protected w/ a tamper-proof enclosure. I've seen that a few times.

Kurt

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I've run across that quite a bit with both timeshares and hotels. Annoying when you're wanting to use your own streaming device.

So annoying. I guess I've been lucky. I haven't run into any that do this. I would definitely complain.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't experienced this. How is the TV typically fixed to one input?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Haven't experienced this. How is the TV typically fixed to one input?

It is usually done by modifying a setting in the firmware so simply disable the other inputs. Most TVs have a "service menu" that is generally not accessible to the normal user which provides many more options to be set. The TVs that these hotels buy are probably sold to them w/ the customized settings.

Kurt

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is usually done by modifying a setting in the firmware so simply disable the other inputs. Most TVs have a "service menu" that is generally not accessible to the normal user which provides many more options to be set. The TVs that these hotels buy are probably sold to them w/ the customized settings.

Kurt
OK, thanks. That's kind of what I figured. I guess one could buy an HDMI adapter and swap out, but what a PITA. If I ran into this, I'd almost be tempted to disconnect stuff on my way out, just to make a point.

Last edited:

friedshrimp

Banned
Reaction score

The cable input can be several types, co-ax, HDMI, RCA....so unless you can a) disconnect the cable and b) have a cable compatible with the cable input and the laptop, you will need the capability to switch the source input.

Cheers

Which I stated in post #3. ;)

friedshrimp

Banned
Reaction score
OK, thanks. That's kind of what I figured. I guess one could buy an HDMI adapter and swap out, but what a PITA. If I ran into this, I'd almost be tempted to disconnect stuff on my way out, just to make a point.

You would do something to piss off the next user because you think you would be getting back at the resort? WOW! :mad: :annoyed: :crash:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing worked, so it's staring at the ocean til dark, then an HGTV marathon til bed! At least one of the kids like the Reno shows!!!

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course if the resort has a DVD hooked up to the TV, as most seem to do, you can always swap out that connection either with RCA cables or, if it's BluRay, an HDMI.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know why they do it, to cut down on maint call when tech challenged folks push the input button by mistake and can't figure out how to get the tv channels back on.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Timeshare resorts are like most major cruises line they disable this feature to avoid rec'ing 100 maint calls every week from folks like me.