• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares only= Shell vacations

mgymay

Reaction score

I placed an ad to sell my Shells Club with them over a year ago and it cost me a "chunk of change" to do so and I have only had one call from GMAC for a ridiculously low price. I paid $26K for my 7000 points and listed at $22K, then recently lowered to $16,500 and they just called me and said they had a buyer and that I would NET $5000!!! I told them to go fishing somewhere else! I am a single mom that has had these points for about 4 or 5 years now and I don't have to sell, I was just looking to help my family out with something that I don't have to have.:confused: :wall:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm sorry to tell you this but at an avareage shell resort, Shell points are worth about $1/pt on resale. So your 7000 pts are probably worth only about $7000.

This is why most Tuggers recommend buying resale. You'd have saved almost $19K.

PS the price at some of the Shell resorts are higher than other Shell resorts. But I couldn't tell you which one and how much higher. ( BUT the Hawaii resorts are generally higher and the AZ resorts are lower)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I placed an ad to sell my Shells Club with them over a year ago and it cost me a "chunk of change" to do so and I have only had one call from GMAC for a ridiculously low price. I paid $26K for my 7000 points and listed at $22K, then recently lowered to $16,500 and they just called me and said they had a buyer and that I would NET $5000!!! I told them to go fishing somewhere else! I am a single mom that has had these points for about 4 or 5 years now and I don't have to sell, I was just looking to help my family out with something that I don't have to have.:confused: :wall:

Looking at completed auctions on eBay I would guess that your 7000 Shell points are worth $3000, maximum; maybe as little as $1000.

I know that's not what you want to to hear, but those are the prices at which sales are occurring. You're certainly free to ask for $16,000, but no one is going to pay that much when they can buy 7000 points elsewhere for about $2000 + closing costs.

Example: here's an auction for 3500 points, based on Peacock Suites in Anaheim, that went for $102.50 + closing costs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...220292730627&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1

And here's a 6100 point contract (based at Legacy Golf resort) that went for $760.65 + $200 closing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...260295635094&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1

Last edited:

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell Vacation Club values

They are correct on the current values. Hawaii contracts are currently around $1. per annual point but offers have been much slower of late.. California and Arizona are only about half that right now- with the smallest contracts being very difficult to move at all.. You may actually want to either reconsider that offer- or plan on using them!

Good luck!

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm sorry to tell you this but at an avareage shell resort, Shell points are worth about $1/pt on resale. So your 7000 pts are probably worth only about $7000.
TR oglodyte said:
Looking at completed auctions on eBay I would guess that your 7000 Shell points are worth $3000, maximum; maybe as little as $1000.
Thanks for the update on Shell prices.

I've got to stop thinking that because I think it is a good deal at $1/pt that that is what it is still selling for.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the offer that has you netting 5K is probably about the best you could expect. Its more than I would have guessed you could get. My guess would have been more along the lines of what the other posters have said.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For $5000 call them and tell them it is sold or plan on keeping it for many years to come. That is a good price in todays market. Heck $2000 would be more than I would have thought you could get at current prices. Not trying to upset you but weeks are selling for little or nothing at all resorts because of the economy. Lots of weeks for sale with very few buyers equals rock bottom prices. You might not have another offer for over $1500 in the next several years.

I am sure GMAC was shocked when you said no way. I am shocked that they found you a buyer that would pay $5000 in the current timeshare market.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score

1> I placed an ad to sell my Shells Club with them over a year ago and it cost me a "chunk of change" to do so and I have only had one call from GMAC for a ridiculously low price. I paid $26K for my 7000 points and listed at $22K, then recently lowered to $16,500

2> and they just called me and said they had a buyer and that I would NET $5000!!! I told them to go fishing somewhere else! I am a single mom that has had these points for about 4 or 5 years now and I don't have to sell, I was just looking to help my family out with something that I don't have to have.:confused: :wall:
There are two parts to this post, the second part "How much a 7000 pt contract with shell might be worth" has been discussed.

The first part has not. TimesharesOnly (TO) happily took this person's money with the idea that the seller might get $ 22K for a TS which TO should have know was worth $7K ( now even less) This is why I dislike TO, they, like the other up front fee companies, will not give you any real idea of what your TS is really worth. :crash: :crash:

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
mgymay:

I suggest you keep your Shell points and enjoy them. I assume you are young and hopefully have many years to use them in good health.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are two parts to this post, the second part "How much a 7000 pt contract with shell might be worth" has been discussed.

The first part has not. TimesharesOnly (TO) happily took this person's money with the idea that the seller might get $ 22K for a TS which TO should have know was worth $7K ( now even less) This is why I dislike TO, they, like the other up front fee companies, will not give you any real idea of what your TS is really worth. :crash: :crash:

If they had told this seller what their points were worth, they wouldn't have gotten the upfront fee. The seller would have told them then what they told them just now. It is not in Timeshares Only's best interest to tell sellers the true value of the weeks they own. If they did, they wouldn't be in business.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell Vacations has a sales office in Pasadena we visited earlier this year, AND THEY WERE BUSY!!!

Given that, it would be great to see owners standing outside these same offices, around the corner somewhat out of site from Shell staff holding signs offering to sell at greatly reduced prices...example 7000 points for $10,000. This could be like those who have tickets to sell who stand outside the baseball stadium.

Prospects would save $, owner could get a better dollar for their properties and Shell...well...they'd continue to get their MF's I suppose.