• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare with points

Catladyglenn

Reaction score
My husband and I just went to a Holiday Inn presentation. We love the idea of having the points for flexibility and liked what they offered. (If it was all true) However, I like good deals and figure doing a resale would be better. I understand the basics but have some questions. Is Holiday Inn one of the good choices or is there something out there better? If you purchase resale, are you a club member with those benefits? (I ask because we really liked the last minute feature of trips you can purchase for very little $$$) And what are the differences you’ve noticed in the fine print between purchasing retail and resale? I hope I didn’t just sound ridiculous with my questions, hahaha. Total newby here.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Holiday Inn is not a good system for resales, I think they limit you to just the resort you bought from. You would be better served resale with Hilton Grand Vacations Club, Worldmark or Wyndham as those have very little restrictions on resales. Of course, check the locations, upfront costs and MFs etc for what you're actually wanting to do. You could start a thread with the questions from

answered and people could give better info too.

EDIT: Also, you can access HIVC I think via RCI from other systems. I'm staying in one in the berkshires this weekend via an Extra Vacation in RCI for the week for a 2BR for ~$530+resort fees (not sure if they have any or what they are but it might be up to $200).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what was it about HICV that most interested you?

as mentioned above I doubt anyone would suggest buying HIVC during a sales presentation, but that applies to just about all timeshares!

now that you have discovered resale you can have your pick and would still pay pennies on the dollar for whatever you were quoted!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Where you live might be a part of your decision. For example, WorldMark is a fantastic program, great to use, owners can still rent if they don't use the points each year, but most of the resorts are west. WorldMark has resorts in areas that are very tough to find, like Utah, Anaheim, Estes Park (CO), West Yellowstone, even Washington State and wine country of CA. It's inexpensive to stay full weeks.

If you love Vegas, Hawaii and Orlando, Hilton is a good choice, and resale is a bargain right now. I would only buy Hilton and not the former Diamond or Bluegreen junk.

We own Wyndham points and like them okay.

All systems have different currencies.

Catladyglenn

Reaction score

as mentioned above I doubt anyone would suggest buying HIVC during a sales presentation, but that applies to just about all timeshares!

now that you have discovered resale you can have your pick and would still pay pennies on the dollar for whatever you were quoted!
We just happened to go to the presentation to get a good deal on a room. We didn’t know any of this was a thing. I still thought of timeshares like they were 30 years ago. We are now trying to figure out what would be the best company for us and once we narrow that down, how many points do we need to buy.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We just happened to go to the presentation to get a good deal on a room. We didn’t know any of this was a thing. I still thought of timeshares like they were 30 years ago. We are now trying to figure out what would be the best company for us and once we narrow that down, how many points do we need to buy.
I suggest you rent a few times at different places run by different companies. It will give you a better idea of what you like, don't like, and are willing to pay for.

Take your time, continue your research, and don't worry; resale prices won't be going up while you do this.

Catladyglenn

Reaction score
I suggest you rent a few times at different places run by different companies. It will give you a better idea of what you like, don't like, and are willing to pay for.

Take your time, continue your research, and don't worry; resale prices won't be going up while you do this.
Thanks!!! Where is the best place to
find good rentals?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Kinseydavid

Reaction score

It was the last call deals. I would only want to “buy in” to get the freedom to be able to get those.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was the last call deals. I would only want to “buy in” to get the freedom to be able to get those.
The two biggest exchange companies, RCI, and Interval Int. Both have some version of last minute cash paid reservations. And virtually every TS company is aligned with one or the other of them.
You should consider buying a resale that's using the exchange you want, if that's your priority.
Now, about those last calls. They are leftovers. You won't find ocean front spacious units during summer months. You'll see ski resorts in mud season, beaches in Winter, and parking lot or dumpster views from studio size units. There are exemptions, but keep your expectations in check. They also often include a mandatory sales presentation.

Jim

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Couple of articles that may help you to familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of timesharing that are worth the read:

The articles are written with Wyndham timesharing in mind - but for points based systems - the core concepts are largely applicable across all systems, whether HIVC, HGVC, MVC, Worldmark, Wyndham, etc.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Now, about those last calls. They are leftovers. You won't find ocean front spacious units during summer months. You'll see ski resorts in mud season, beaches in Winter, and parking lot or dumpster views from studio size units. There are exemptions, but keep your expectations in check. They also often include a mandatory sales presentation.

Jim
This is true... though I've also seen "ski" resorts that are actually 4 season resorts so yes, the deal may be Memorial day week, or summer, but that might be a trip you want to take. I know I have and greatly enjoyed them. I've also personally found many "Extra Vacations" which aren't the super low deals, but are often ~$650 a week or so that are shoulder season rather than just "mud weeks" (maybe I misunderstand mud weeks though).

At least via RCI, none of the last calls or extra vacations have a mandatory sales presentation - the only one that I've ever had be mandatory was when getting a "VIP" or trial tour with HGVC and I presume other systems. Those don't require any owned timeshare though.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I recommend that you do the "What should I buy," survey at the top of this forum.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least via RCI, none of the last calls or extra vacations have a mandatory sales presentation - the only one that I've ever had be mandatory was when getting a "VIP" or trial tour with HGVC and I presume other systems. Those don't require any owned timeshare though.
Presentations may not be mandatory, just after you check in, it's 'Go to that desk over there for your parking pass' where they ask for your room number and tell you about the 'special deals for discounted activities or shows' if you attend this casual breakfast get together. Can we reserve that for you now???'

Thay make guests feel that there are 'deals' they don't want to pass up. After all, aren't they there to get a first class vacation on the cheap?

Jim

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Presentations may not be mandatory, just after you check in, it's 'Go to that desk over there for your parking pass' where they ask for your room number and tell you about the 'special deals for discounted activities or shows' if you attend this casual breakfast get together. Can we reserve that for you now???'

Thay make guests feel that there are 'deals' they don't want to pass up. After all, aren't they there to get a first class vacation on the cheap?

Jim
Yea, that seems to vary significantly on the resort. My latest Oak n Spruce HIVC RCI stay didn't offer anything, my Wyndham bay club II direct booking needed 10 minutes of NO to not get scheduled for a session. But it's not mandatory.