• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 98... Uber or Lyft or Rental Car in Hawaii

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
A lot of people traveling to Hawaii are not renting cars. They are just enjoying their hotel or Timeshare and relaxing near their hotel or Timeshare. This is not surprising with Rental cars being $500/week or more. Luckily, this is down from the $1500 / week a few months ago.

I've taken to using some rental cars or using either Uber or Lyft. In this Video, I explore the various options and how you can decide what is best for you. I have been in Hawaii for several months and renting a car would have cost me thousands. Although, you may not be in Hawaii for as long as me, you still can benefit from the options I learned to use.

Timeshare Traveler Episode 94... UHaul is My Hawaii Rental “Car”

Map of all my timeshare reviews

Bill4728

Reaction score
WE just got a great deal on a car on Oahu at the Hertz just off the airport. $590/ ten days

Just concerned about getting from the airport to the location on 452 Kalewa Street . It is only about 1/2 miles but I'm concerned a Taxi will be mad about just a short drive.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
WE just got a great deal on a car on Oahu at the Hertz just off the airport. $590/ ten days

Just concerned about getting from the airport to the location on 452 Kalewa Street . It is only about 1/2 miles but I'm concerned a Taxi will be mad about just a short drive.
It's funny that we can feel so intimated by taxi drivers.
Awhile back I needed ride from Palm Springs airport to downtown hotel.
Cab driver was visibly annoyed with me.
He didn't know that I had intended to give a generous tip.
(I understand that they wait in line for their turn.)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It's funny that we can feel so intimated by taxi drivers.
Awhile back I needed ride from Palm Springs airport to downtown hotel.
Cab driver was visibly annoyed with me.
He didn't know that I had intended to give a generous tip.
(I understand that they wait in line for their turn.)
At the Palm Springs airport how far did a taxi driver think you were going to go? :D

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I had it both ways with Taxi drivers. I work in downtown San Jose, and the airport is very close to downtown. One time when i grabbed a cab from the airport to the office, he complained that he had sat in 3 hour que for only a $20 fare...

A different time, i caught a cab from the airport to my house, maybe 16 miles.. The driver complained it was too far, and he had a scheduled pickup that i would make him late for..

Can't please everyone...

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
A lot of people traveling to Hawaii are not renting cars. They are just enjoying their hotel or Timeshare and relaxing near their hotel or Timeshare. This is not surprising with Rental cars being $500/week or more. Luckily, this is down from the $1500 / week a few months ago.

I've taken to using some rental cars or using either Uber or Lyft. In this Video, I explore the various options and how you can decide what is best for you. I have been in Hawaii for several months and renting a car would have cost me thousands. Although, you may not be in Hawaii for as long as me, you still can benefit from the options I learned to use.

Timeshare Traveler Episode 94... UHaul is My Hawaii Rental “Car”

Map of all my timeshare reviews

Well travelling to hawaii and not renting a car all depends on what island. We are usually not happy staying near our timeshare when we travel to Hawaii so to date we have rented a car on all the islands except Oahu. On Oahu you don't need a car to enjoy the island. The BUS service is so good that you can use it if it is too far to walk and get to almost anything you want. We have stayed for over 1000 nights on Oahu without renting a car. While we have taken trips around the entire island with a bus I would advise renting a car for the day to do that since it does take alot of time. However, you can get to almost anything in the metro Honolulu area with a bus ride of less than a 1/2 hour. We do take an Uber or Cab if it is raining hard or we have a large grocery order to bring home.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We have always rented a car on whichever Hawaiian island we're on. I want that freedom to pick and choose where and when I go, on my own schedule. I factor the price of the rental car into the cost of the vacation.

However, when staying in Waikiki, we'll either walk or take an Uber to get around, because parking is such a pain. Again, it's factored into the overall cost of the vacation.

What was it someone said today on another thread? TNSTAAFL.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm a Californian (even though I don't live there any more). We drive everywhere. Wouldn't even think of not renting a car when in Hawaii.