• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Rookie [merged]

jboynton1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am researching the benefits of time shares and it seems it could be a really good program. My mother in law wants to sell her time share in Myrtle Beach, Plantation Resort, for $5500. It is a deeded week for a 2br/2bth but she always exchanges for RCI points which equates to 67,000 points every other year. It is a gold crown resort...not sure if that matters. Is $5500 too much. It seems I can find much better deals on TUG. I live in Aiken, SC so I would like for my home destination to be within a few hours 4-5 away. That would included any SC beaches / NC/ SMOKIES/ TN etc etc. I am ready to take the plunge but wanted TUG members to guide me on which resorts, plans, points and so forth to get started. I really like the points system because it allows versatility. We will probably on take one family vacation a year and a few mini trips for the wife and i. Your input would be greatly appreciated!!:wave:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Welcome to TUG. You're in the right place. Have a seat, read everything you can find, ask questions, and fully educate yourself into the process. The better educated you are up front, the better choices you can make going forward.

Two cardinal rules you must develop to be successful with timesharing:

1. Develop extreme patience, because the "great deal" you may find today will most likely be repeated time and again. There is no such thing as a "one time offer."

2. Know that it is much easier to get INTO a timeshare than it is to get OUT of one. So don't buy ANYTHING from ANYONE at ANY PRICE until/unless you are 100% certain it is the right deal for you.

Your MIL selling her t/s to you for $5500 sounds like more than it's worth. Check the auction on Ebay for the "real" market value of the resort. You can search on Completed Auctions to get data on what things have recently sold for.

If you only plan to vacation irregularly, you may want to consider renting instead of buying. You could get what you want, when you want, without the commitment of ongoing fees and costs associated with owning. See Rule 2 above. :)

Others will most likely weigh in on this, so relax, and enjoy the process. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and lots of people very willing to help you learn.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You may also want to check the SC inventory at this reseller website: http://www.sumdayvacations.com/index.php

They have a LOT of Myrtle Beach stuff for just a few hundred dollars. Not sure if these are comparable to your MIL's t/s, but this shows the kind of numbers you may be looking at. That reseller also usually includes all closing costs into the price you pay, which can be a real savings. So if you want to get in, this may be a reasonable way to get there. They're a reliable company to deal with, if you find something you like. (But before you buy, be sure to refer back to Rule 2 of my previous post. LOL!)

Dave

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'd likely be paying $5,000 too much if you bought it from your MIL.

jboynton1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I NEED!!

I am very excited about this timeshare stuff!! I really enjoy and appreciate tuggers advice. I am looking for resorts that have a fairly low maintenance fee and have a fair amount of RCI points. We have been looking at Vacation Village at Parkway for 92500 points and I was told that Granview in Las Vegas had fairly low MF. Curious about fellow tuggers advice on resorts. It does not have to be a home resort because we will be more than likely be using RCI points. ALL advice welcome!!:hi:

jboynton1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
List the top resorts with LOW MF and RCI Points!

Would love to hear about top resorts with the lowest MF's and best RCI points. We are really excited about timesharing so if you know of any really good deals please forward to me. PLEASE LIST THE RESORTS BELOW! We have been looking at Vacation Village at Parkway and Grandview Las Vegas for low MF and RCI points. It does not have to be a home resort because we are more likely going to use RCI points near our home state/SC.

pkyorkbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you show your MIL the low values of timeshares now, perhaps she will sell it to you for a lesser amount. It sounds like a nice TS to use. Many people think their TS's are worth a lot of money. If you could get it for a lesser amount MIL no longer has to worry about paying MF's and you get a nice TS for vacations.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you show your MIL the low values of timeshares now, perhaps she will sell it to you for a lesser amount. It sounds like a nice TS to use. Many people think their TS's are worth a lot of money. If you could get it for a lesser amount MIL no longer has to worry about paying MF's and you get a nice TS for vacations.

Wise words and true. Many people who do not routinely follow or "track" the timeshare world tend to assume a "valuation" based upon what they paid originally. Unfortunately, that is a completely meaningless frame of reference for current market value (...particularly if the original purchase was developer-direct).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually DO own one something along this line. A 2BR in Sedona AZ that we COULD use if there weren't better uses for it's RCI Points. So far, we have only seen the place once, and rented there at that time. We had used the points that year to go to Spain.

I can't say that I find much fault in jboynton's thinking. Those are pretty good point allowances for the MF. Whether or not they are the world's best is hard to say. These things are subject to change.

One caveat I'd like to point out. Whenever one uses those points to book a vacation, it costs $189. AND there is a roughly $90/year to maintain an RCI Points membership that seldom-if ever- is available as a 2-fer-1 deal. So, if you book 2 vacations a year using RCI Points, the out-of pocket cost is almost $500 on top of MF. 3 vaca's makes it near $700 and 92,000 points/yr. makes that many likely.

Jim

Last edited:

jboynton1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that I will be vacationing probably one 7 day vacation a year with the family then possibly a couple shorter vacations throughout the year. I will likely vacay in the south somewhere and it seems to me that 92500 points is alot of points for my vacay style.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that I will be vacationing probably one 7 day vacation a year with the family then possibly a couple shorter vacations throughout the year. I will likely vacay in the south somewhere and it seems to me that 92500 points is alot of points for my vacay style.

I think you are right.

I have seen most "prime" vacations go for 60,000 to 70,000 RCI Points tops.
The real issue you will have is availability - you simply don't find very many "prime" weeks in RCI Points. :annoyed:

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest point conversions [122K points] at Grandview (GV) are a good bargain from a MF standpoint. Unfortunately, the word leaked out over the past few years, and that drove the prices up. We got our 2 for closing costs ~$200 each, but now they go for anywhere from $2K-4K to get them. The smaller points ownerships are still a decent bargain, given their low MF....

Vacation Village (VV) 92K point units have a MF/taxes of ~$750, which still puts you at less than a penny a point. (Most consider anything below a penny a point a good price point.) You can still find them periodically for $200 or less, the last time I looked.

...just don't pay excessive prices to purchase them.

Both resorts have had relatively low MF for quite a while, but speculation is that if the developer ever gets done building/modernizing at VV, the MF will go up. They've said that for many-many years now, but you be the judge.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A gentle suggestion - if you have more questions and comments on this topic, please post them in this thread, instead of starting new ones - thanks! :hi:

jboynton1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am getting more and more confused!!

I know you guys probably think I am a wack job when it comes this whole timesharing stuff. I spend way to much time on this TUG site but I am enjoying the wealth of knowledge that I "THINK" I am learning. It seems that the more I read.....The more I get confused!! There is so much terminology and so many ins and outs of timsharing that my brain is sqwash!!

I know one thing.....I have learned to be patient!! Lots of that knowledge offered on here. I was looking at Vacation Village at Parkway strictly for the points but there is a lot of mixed reviews about owning there. I could buy for a penny a point but then began considering the cost of RCI and the exchange fees. I am not real crazy about traveling right now to Florida becasue I have five children and more times than not....traveling to the grocery store sucks!!! Then I ran into Wyndham points....that seems to be a pretty cool timesharing program but also seems to be a little pricey and takes a lot of points to get a full week vacay!! I then learned that Wyndham can be traded in to RCI but there apparently is a conversion.....Heck....I dunno. I am a very visual person so if anyone has a Timeshare board game to lay this whole thing out...let a brotha know!!! Maybe there should be a a TiMESHaring for REALLY BIG DUMMMIES!!!!

I honestly appreciate all your input and I think I have gotten my fifteen dollars worth already......WooooHOOOOOO!!!! NOw i gotta get fifteen more :clap:

I wanna vacay in SC/NC/GA and occassionally travel to Orlando. Not thinking Disney is all that cool because it is so flippin expensive and I have always wanted to punch Mickey.....:wall:

Maybe some of you retirees sitting on the beach in Tahiti can lay out some scenarios for me to better understand this whole system. I need points...i know that for a fact. We will take a family vacay once a year and a few vacays the rest of the year to escape our five children. :hysterical: This little dude is us in our home on a daily basis!! Oh and we need a resort that has lots of cheap wine!!! That is how we cope with our wild kids!!

Feed me my fellow tuggers.....feed me!!! I need to be bottle fed about this timesharing! I want to buy a contract for $1 and keep MF about $700 -$800 bienially. I do like the Wyndham way of paying monthly!!! We would prefer Gold Crown Resorts!!

Thanks....Love yall!!!!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that although you have paid your $15 membership fee - you haven't changed your status to "member." (You have to put the member code in your profile.)

How to - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53

(Note - this is the last link on the BBS help article, linked in the blue bar.)

There is a steep learning curve with timesharing. No one can actually give you all the answers, because it is such an individual thing. Your best bet is to keep reading on the Wyndham forum.

Eventually, the light will come on, and you will feel more like you know what you are doing - until then - YOU ARE NOT READY TO BUY.

*A gentle suggestion - instead of starting new threads on this topic, please post additional comments and questions in THIS thread for the sake of continuity.

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
I know you guys probably think I am a wack job when it comes this whole timesharing stuff. I spend way to much time on this TUG site but I am enjoying the wealth of knowledge that I "THINK" I am learning. It seems that the more I read.....The more I get confused!! There is so much terminology and so many ins and outs of timsharing that my brain is sqwash!!

I know one thing.....I have learned to be patient!! Lots of that knowledge offered on here.

Maybe some of you retirees sitting on the beach in Tahiti can lay out some scenarios for me to better understand this whole system.

Timesharing was confusing to us at first too, you are fortunate that you found TUG first! We didn;t..so bought from a developer first..as so many TUGGERS have. But then, we found TUG and read and read.

We are retirees timesharing fulltime - although not always on a beach in Tahiti! Read our BLOG for FUN!!!! maybe some things there would help you understand how things work, maybe not. At any rate, it will encourage you to get into timesharing, but carefully.

Check the BARGAINS topic here on TUG BB's and you will be amazed at how many FREE timeshares are available, as well as on eBay for $1 - watch for free closing costs. Perhaps you have already done this....if so, you know that TS are really cheap now.

Your mother-in-law might just have to give hers away in order to get out from under the maintenance fees- that's what people are doing (including us).

We think Wyndham points are the way to go, rather than RCI points, but then we use our timeshares differently than other people - actually, everyone is customized as to their particular circumstances and usages. But I would think the FREE timeshares with free closing costs make for a no-brainer.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Oh and we need a resort that has lots of cheap wine!!!
!!!!

I do not know of many timeshares that offer cheap wine - go to Walgreens for $2.99 bottles.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not know of many timeshares that offer cheap wine - go to Walgreens for $2.99 bottles.

Also if there is a Trader Joe's near - get a bottle of Charles Shaw (aka 2 buck chuck) Wine - well worth the 2 - 3 buck's it costs (depending on locale).

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue...

It seems that the more I read.....The more I get confused!! There is so much terminology and so many ins and outs of timsharing that my brain is squash!! <snip> Maybe some of you....can lay out some scenarios for me to better understand this whole system....

You're no dummy. On the contrary, the mere fact that you found this site and are researching and asking questions before making any hasty, expensive and potentially irreversible purchase decisions or mistakes speaks quite well to your intelligence. :clap:

In the (sometimes bizarre and often quite serpentine) world of timeshares there are many (and all very different from one another) systems, companies, points structures, flavors, usage and reservation rules, fees, etc. As a result, it would clearly be an impossible task to just boil it all down to a simple "board game" or any other such simple "visual". There is no "bottle feeding" option. It ain't simple --- period, amen.

In my personal opinion, all you can (and what you should) do at this juncture is exactly what you are already doing --- but don't look for non-existent "magic bullets" or simple answers. Read and learn and absorb what you can, when you can --- then read and learn and absorb some more. Then apply that acquired knowledge to your particular individual finances and vacation objectives ---leaving your checkbook tucked securely away during the learning curve process. Thereafter, it certainly can't hurt to "rent before you buy" either, so that you can personally experience particular resorts / areas/ companies before deciding to take on the financial albatross of permanent ownership and annual fees.

Try to remember and repeat the mantra that "it's always easy to buy, but it's usually difficult to sell".
Try to also remember and repeat the directly realted mantra that "maintenance fees are forever".
Read and learn. Then read and learn and absorb more. Proceed slowly and with caution. Good luck.

Last edited:

jboynton1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
Think i found a timeshare??

Okay! Found a gentleman on TUG about a Wyndham timeshare at MB Ocean Boulevard. It is 154000 points and he is giving away. He said be can prep all the paperwork for deeds transfer to save me hundreds of dollars. Spoke with him and he seems to be stand up! Kinda excited but reserved as a new time sharer. What y'all think Rutgers?:cheer:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Calm down, think, examine...

Okay! Found a gentleman on TUG about a Wyndham timeshare at MB Ocean Boulevard. It is 154000 points and he is giving away. He said be can prep all the paperwork for deeds transfer to save me hundreds of dollars. Spoke with him and he seems to be stand up! Kinda excited but reserved as a new time sharer. What y'all think Rutgers?:cheer:

Frankly, methinks that your unbridled enthusiam might be just overriding your long term analysis.
Accordingly, I stand firmly by my previous detailed input to you, word for word.

That being said, if you are indeed bound and determined to "damn the torpedos --- full speed ahead", at least figure out who will be paying the (Wyndham mandated) $299 transfer fee in the proposed transaction. This fee is unavoidable and is separate and apart from County fees to record a new deed.

Also, you might want to take a look at the applicable Wyndham charts to see if 154k points will actually get you anything / anywhere you might actually want / need (...particularly with a family of 5 kids). When I owned within Wyndham , my 2BR unit cost me 182k points for a week's usage... :shrug:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
154k is not a bad size package to start out with. I don't know how the MFs for Ocean Blvd are.

Good luck! I acquired a "free" Wyndham points contract here on Tug last year. It went very smoothly.

antjmar

Reaction score
congrats :cheer: ocean blvd is one of the lowest MF resorts in myrtle beach AND you can use your arp at any of the myrtle resorts... :D
Now the bad news 154k points will only get you a peak summer 1 br at westwinds or seawatch. still a good starter size package but for a 2 br summer week you will need more points.