• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare relief, inc.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Never Used Them. Never Going To Use Them.

That's 1 of those companies that take big bux from timeshare owners who want to shuck off timeshares they no longer use & no longer want, right?

The M.O. is to convince the tired-of-it owner that the timeshare is worthless & so therefore the only way to get rid of it is to pay the company several thousand dollars to take it off the owner's hands, correct?

I'm sure it's all perfectly legal, but any way you shake it it's nothing but fast-talking people out of perfectly good timeshares that they can sell themselves if they get tired of'm -- if the owners only knew how.

I mean, shux, giving it away or selling it for $1 on eBay is lots cheaper than paying somebody to take it.

The "relief" companies make it sound like such a big impossible task that they're doing the owner a favor by collecting those big bux plus the deed from the owner. All they're doing is taking advantage of people's inexperience & lack of knowledge about other options.

Sheesh.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
They don't sell timeshares, they charge owners about $3K to take your timeshare off your hands. And people actually do it. :doh:

anapier

TUG Member
Reaction score
timeshare relief poster

Thanks to both of you who replied. You are telling me what I suspected and was on the verge of finding out. Thanks for your validation. Arvin

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you really want to sell your timeshare, start by carefully reading the "how to sell" article located at the top of the list of topics for the Buying, Selling, Renting forum. It contains practical advice for generating a successful sale without getting taken in by upfront-fee and other costly gimmicks.

J

JoeMid

Not knowing what you own, I can't give you any advice. There are timeshares that won't sell at any price and Timeshare Relief and its clones may be the answer for those who want out. It's a fee for a service.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are timeshares that won't sell at any price and Timeshare Relief and its clones may be the answer for those who want out. It's a fee for a service.

Timeshare Relief (and its spawn) don't want those either.

If they see right away that it's a worthless timeshare, they will probably refuse to accept it. Should they misjudge and wind up "accepting" a worthless timesahre, they're still covered because they don't actually take title. Instead they collect their $3500 (or whatever), and when it doesn't sell the owner still ends up stuck with the fees and assessments.

e.bram

Reaction score
does anybody have personal(not anecdotal) knowledge of Timeshare Relief or others having taken the money and not taking ownership of the TS?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
There was a thread about We Collect Timeshares, where Janie666 who worked for the company was fielding calls from people who were in that very boat. It was back a few months ago, and the company was in trouble for not doing what they said they would do.

Also, I know that these companies don't pay maintenance fees that they have us reimburse for, as the buyers, then when the closing is done, title is transferred, they take their own sweet time about paying the fees. Twin Rivers has some owned by VINinc that have not transferred and have unpaid maintenance fees. It hurts the resort. This is not anecdotal, it is fact because I am a board member.

There are LOTS of complaints about these companies on the BBB websites and with various real estate commissions.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what little it is worth, I recently bought a week from the Resort Access Network/Timeshare Freedom folks. The deed transferring the week from the original owner to RAN/TF had been recorded about five weeks before it was listed on ebay, give or take a week. I know because I asked for a copy of the estoppel, and they included the recorded deed as well.

So, that particular PCC, for that particular week, actually did what they promised they would do.

On the other hand, they didn't pay the MFs on the week until I "reimbursed them," so the record isn't all good...

anapier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare relief poster April 14

Several folks made responses for my plea for info on Timeshare Relief. Thanks to all. I am a Newbie and found the service very helpful. I have a place to begin!:)

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Which 1 ?

I am a Newbie and found the service very helpful.
Which service was helpful ?

TUG-BBS ?

Timeshare Relief ?

Both ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

elioness

Reaction score
Has anyone actually used them?

Has anyone actually used them? What is your experience with them?
Thanks.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Thanks.
It is unlikely that there is anyone here who has used them. The people who may have used them are people who want to get rid of their TS so badly that they pay a stranger $3000-$4000 with no assurance that that stranger will do anything. Anyone willing to do that doesn't hang around a site which main purpose is to talk about their TSs.

Bill4728

Reaction score
does anybody have personal(not anecdotal) knowledge of Timeshare Relief or others having taken the money and not taking ownership of the TS?
I'll see if I can find the thread, BUT YES!! there are reports of the PCC taking the money and not ever transferring the TS into either their own hands or the hands of a new owner. They just took the money from a bunch of people then declared bankruptcy and all the people who paid them were out of luck.

J

JoeMid

It is unlikely that there is anyone here who has used them. The people who may have used them are people who want to get rid of their TS so badly that they pay a stranger $3000-$4000 with no assurance that that stranger will do anything. Anyone willing to do that doesn't hang around a site which main purpose is to talk about their TSs.

Thanks.

I'll see if I can find the thread, BUT YES!! there are reports of the PCC taking the money and not ever transferring the TS into either their own hands or the hands of a new owner. They just took the money from a bunch of people then declared bankruptcy and all the people who paid them were out of luck.
TR-Timeshare relief is the Best of the Bunch, been in business longer than most though that is not a guarantee that they couldn't go bankrupt in these troubled times. This company has come a long way in the last few years, toned down their sales presentation quite a bit, and they do what they say they'll do. Ask for Sam.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not a good move. Great to reopen it

TR-Timeshare relief is the Best of the Bunch, been in business longer than most though that is not a guarantee that they couldn't go bankrupt in these troubled times. This company has come a long way in the last few years, toned down their sales presentation quite a bit, and they do what they say they'll do. Ask for Sam.

In NO CASE should you give up $3000+/- to anyone unless they are taking the title - thus all future fee obligations - off your hands. Anything less and there is a great chance you just threw $3000+/- in the toilet and will eventually be on the hook for all the past due fees as well as out your $3000+/-. DO NOT PAY ANYONE thousands of dolars on the CHANCE they will actually get rid of your week. They ave to do it or keep your money in your pocket. A promise or best effort is worthless and you will regret another $3000+/- expense on your timeshare that still haunts you.

Beware and don't take hollow promises. Don't pay to "maybe" be done with your timeshare.

Stormron

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the Timeshare Relief presentation and indeed, they do charge very big fees for their "service", i.e., deeding your property to what I take to be one of their companies. Unfortunately - in the real world, there is little market for many timeshares. If you could sell or give it away - check ebay - that would be the best way but who will take it is the question. There are few - if any - $1 bids. Even organizations that accept donations require that you pay the fees until is it "sold".
I had one timeshare that I couldn't sell after multiple attempts and I did a Quitclaim Deed back to the resort. They took the deed and turned it over to a collection agency which reported it to the credit bureau. Their best weapon is to do damage to your credit.
There has to be a better way to deal with the resorts since - according to TS Relief, less than 4% of timeshare owners are able to sell their weeks!!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bad move on your part...

I had one timeshare that I couldn't sell after multiple attempts and I did a Quitclaim Deed back to the resort. They took the deed and turned it over to a collection agency which reported it to the credit bureau.

No small wonder....

You can't just unilaterally decide to deed a timeshare ownership to anyone (including "back to the resort") without their knowledge, consent and overt acceptance. Any such unilateral action deed is not legally valid, so the collection agency referral was both inevitable and appropriate.

Some (...but not too many) resorts will accept a "deed in lieu of foreclosure" if the fees are current and if the matter is discussed and mutually agreed in advance, but no resort is going to tolerate any such attempted "end run" of a quit claim deed generated without their knowledge, consent and overt acceptance. If there was any previous chance of that resort accepting a "deed in lieu of foreclosure", you've probably now closed that door forever with that particular furtive act....

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timeshare Relief is trying to get $3,500 from you, so they will tell you anything to get you to sign. They are still selling you something--the right to YOUR timeshare, so they can relieve you of your burden, then they DO sell it on eBay. They do not accept un-saleable timeshares. They have a full list of timeshares they will not touch.

Vertrag

Reaction score
Timeshare Relief actually does this

In NO CASE should you give up $3000+/- to anyone unless they are taking the title - thus all future fee obligations - off your hands. ...
Beware and don't take hollow promises. Don't pay to "maybe" be done with your timeshare.

That's exactly what they do - take title off you and relieve you of all future obligations - that's the only reason it's worth it.

I don't know about others, and I'm pretty angry about buying my timeshare, but I was guaranteed that they would take title, and they did. I talked with a reputable closing company which I checked out (BBB A+ rated) immediately. The paperwork wasn't we'll maybe sell your timeshare, or we'll put ads out there for you, etc. etc. etc

I know some of you probably think I'm an idiot, but I tried listing my timeshare on eBay, I tried to use my timeshare, but just couldn't and with what I would be paying in January 2010 on my maintenance fee I'm here looking how to "rent" someone else's timeshare. I listed it on craigslist for $1,000, $100, and then finally $10...no one offered to buy it at all. The only responses to my ads were people trying to charge me $500+ to sell it for me.

In my opinion it is the best of a lot of evil options that you have when you want to get rid of your timeshare and can't even get anybody to take it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's exactly what they do - take title off you and relieve you of all future obligations - that's the only reason it's worth it.

I don't know about others, and I'm pretty angry about buying my timeshare, but I was guaranteed that they would take title, and they did. I talked with a reputable closing company which I checked out (BBB A+ rated) immediately. The paperwork wasn't we'll maybe sell your timeshare, or we'll put ads out there for you, etc. etc. etc

I know some of you probably think I'm an idiot, but I tried listing my timeshare on eBay, I tried to use my timeshare, but just couldn't and with what I would be paying in January 2010 on my maintenance fee I'm here looking how to "rent" someone else's timeshare. I listed it on craigslist for $1,000, $100, and then finally $10...no one offered to buy it at all. The only responses to my ads were people trying to charge me $500+ to sell it for me.

In my opinion it is the best of a lot of evil options that you have when you want to get rid of your timeshare and can't even get anybody to take it.

Why couldn't you use your timeshare? What stopped you? Don't you get any vacation? Do you vacation in a different place than your timeshare is located? You could have exchanged your week. Even the lowest timeshare in RCI can see 80K+ weeks available for exchange.

I will never understand this choice, but it was your choice to make. I guess the first thing I want to ask is why you bought the week in the first place. It seems rather odd to buy a timeshare in some place where you never want to go. :shrug:

How long did you own it? What did you pay for the week originally? Where is it located? Was it a low-end timeshare? Just curious.....

Vertrag

Reaction score
Why couldn't you use your timeshare? What stopped you? Don't you get any vacation? Do you vacation in a different place than your timeshare is located? You could have exchanged your week. Even the lowest timeshare in RCI can see 80K+ weeks available for exchange.

Money - we didn't take any vacation - other than visiting the parents. And with a lost job and a period of unemployment - it was too much.

I searched for timeshare closing services travel club and found this board - but I was really looking to see if I could find the club they talked to me about when I paid to get rid of that pos. Now that we can afford to take a vacation I want to make it a good one.

As to why we bought in the first place, we were offered a free vacation for a couple nights, we wanted to get away from the kids for the first time since our oldest was born. And it sounded like such a good deal, we could afford it at the time, we used it a couple years, it was a place we liked, but frankly I think they just wore me out - looking back I definitely wouldn't do it again. But I'm not sure if I would have done it in the first place if the presentation had only been the 60-90 minutes we were promised.

I'm not sure what you mean by low-end but it seemed expensive to me.