• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare in Hawaii question -- Help

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
We have never been to Hawaii before, and would want to visit these islands soon. Our mother is very sick now and she would want to go to Hawaii with us in 2009 (hopefully). We all hope that her medical treatments are working and she will be a bit better and stronger so she can go there with us (and it was one of the reasons why we buy timeshares now).
Since we are new and do not know much about the Wyndham timeshares in Hawaii, would anyone kindly tell us which locations/resorts are better? I am spoiled with Marriott standard (most of the time stay at Marriott hotels/resorts -- business trips) and I guess Wyndham probably does not have the same level but hopefully they are not bad.
We are looking at 2 units (2 Brm and 1 Brm)...

Big Island: Kona Hawaiian Resort, Mauna Loa Villages, Royal Sea Cliff, Kealou Beach Resort
Maui: Maui Eldorado, Lahaina - Royal Kahana, Kihei - WorldMark Kihei
Honolulu: Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk, Luana Waikiki, Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber, The Wyland Waikiki, Royal Garden at Waikiki
Lihue: Kauai Beach Villas
Priceville: Bali Hai Villas, Ka'Oe Kai, MaKai Club, MaKai Club Cottages, Wyndham Shearwater
Poipu: Kiahuna Plantation

Any summary or comparsion will be great and helpful for us to make an informed decision!! Need these advice asap because we need to give the selected date/location to our sellers soon so they can request the guest reservation for us quickly.
Thanks!!!!!!!
MN

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For that much information, your best bet it to read the TUG Reviews - there are multiple reviews for each property. You must be a TUG member to access the reviews.

Also - each island is quite different from the others. For info. on each island, use the "search this forum button" on the TUG Hawaii board and search for each island by name.

Oahu - Honolulu is very urban, busy, crowded, with lots of shopping and nightlife. A big city on the beach.

Maui - Not urban like Honolulu, but offers both shopping/nightlife and more relaxed activities- the hardest exchange. Beautiful, but getting more crowded.

Big Island - Lots to see, very big, lots of time in the car to see everything. Has the active volcano.

Kauai - More laid-back, and quiet. Relaxing, not as much shopping or nightlife - less developed. Very beautiful.

Kauai Beach Villas - we own there and love it. Click on the link under my name to see my pictures.

Princeville - An upscale golf community - it is at the cool, tropical, and wetter end of Kauai.

Poipu - The drier and sunnier end of Kauai. Nice beaches and a bit more shopping and night life.

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Denise,
Thanks for the tips. We just join TUG but have not received the confirmation yet.
Anyway, we narrow the selection to 2 islands and now we just need to pick the island and the hotel/resort.
It's Big Island or Maui....
It will be too late to select the hotels in RCI (we do not have the RCI membership yet, will have it once the escrow closes) so we guess we have to go within FF network... Any suggestions?
Thanks.
MN

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you pay for your membership with paypal? That method of payment actually requires a human being to respond, so it may take a day or 2 since this is Christmas. To update your membership to "member" you will get an email with a code word to add to your profile. Click on user CP in the blue bar to access your profile. Then click on EDIT BBS MEMBER CODE, and scroll down to the box at the bottom, key in the code, and save.

Just to get you going with the lingo - timeshares are usually referred to as resorts and they are not hotels.

When you use RCI - you have to make an exchange, which is a lot more challenging that making a reservation. The week and resort you want may or may not be available, so it's good to be as flexible as possible.

Although I own at a Wyndham resort, I did not convert to points, so other owners can better advise you there. You will have a lot more luck if you don't go during any holidays, or summer vacation. Reservations are harder to make when the kids are out of school. Avoid the weeks before and after Easter - April 12th.

Of the TS's you listed, the only one I've stayed in is Kona Hawaiian Resort. The units are very nice and comfortable, but the resort is not on the beach and the pools are pretty basic.

One suggestion - since your mom is ill, seriously consider buying timeshare travel insurance, that will cover you if you have to cancel a trip after you have booked airfare and the timeshare. Lots of info. about that at the top of the Travel Board.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Caius

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's Big Island or Maui....
It will be too late to select the hotels in RCI (we do not have the RCI membership yet, will have it once the escrow closes) so we guess we have to go within FF network... Any suggestions?
Thanks.
MN

If you're booking directly through Wyndham...
The Maui reort is actually a Workldmark resort, so Wyndham owners have VERY little availability. It's something like 2 units per week. I don't want to say impossible, but....

We have stayed at Kona Hawaiian Village on the Big Island, and Bali Hai and Ka 'Eo Kai on Kauai. We loved KHV and BH. If you've decided on the Big Island, Royal Sea Cliff is right across the street from KHV. RSC looks like more of a hotel than a resort, I don't know how ill your mother is and if that is a consideration (KHV is a bit spread out). Also, RSC has an ocean view.

I have reviews of KHV, BH, and KEK on the Wyndham Owners' Forums. I can't remember right now if I've posted them here, I will check.

Caius

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell your seller to make reservations for you.

Waikiki Beach Walk, Bali Hai Villas has President Suite. You maybe able to get a 3 BD one.

Kona is all 2 BD.

Mauna Loa and Royal Sea Cliff do have 1 & 2 BD, they don't have 3 BD.

Other resort at Priceville are PAHIO's resort, their number of available is very unpredictable.

It is close to the end of year, unless you ploan to visit there in Sept 2009 or later, a lot of places will not have any inventories, so you should make a quick decision.

I probably will prefer to take 3 BD one, there is too many unknown here that will get into your number of units needs.

Jya-Ning

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in Kona Hawaiian Village in early June, 2008. We thought the unit was great! The Big Island was relatively empty at that time and with the recession fewer people are traveling. I may be wrong, but I think you'll have success getting a nice unit this year.

Good luck.

Sue

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Lots of availability at KHV for 2009. I've stayed there twice and at the Royal Sea Cliff (which is about 1/2 mile up Alii Drive) and love them both and would stay at either again.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you are using Wyndham that I would recommend either the Big Island, Oahu and/or Kauai as they have the largest number of units available in the Wyndham system.

I too would recommend the Kona Hawiian Village. Great authentic looking hawaii villa with thatched roofs. They are nice but not luxurious. I have not stayed at Royal Sea Cliff but those that have like it.

The new resort in Waikiki Beach Walk should be closer to your Marriott standard, as it is a new resort.

Of the Pahios I would choose either Shearwater for the view alone, but they are worth a lot of points, or perhaps Bali Hai as it is the newest of the what was the Pahio resorts group (prior to Wyndham taking over).

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!
It was great to read these recommendations... We really appreciate your guys to make time sending us these notes!!
Anyway, we would want to have at least a "resort-feeling" location. Between the Royal Sea Cliff and the Kona Hawaiian Village, which one is nicer?
Also, my mother loves beach, and I wonder if any of them (in any islands) has swimmable beach access? She will not be able to walk much, most of the time will be in the wheelchair, but she loves the idea of seeing the nice beach and the kids love to swim in the beach too!!
The Waikiki Beach Walk sounds great but how's the availability? Can anyone quickly check for us? Looking for 2BR or 3BR Presidential unit... We will have a total of 700k of points so I guess the usage points should not be an issue...
Also, any other locations that are newer and closer to the (nice) beach in Big Islands or Mauii?
Thanks again!!
MN

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You won't find many nice sandy beaches on the Big Island. It's too geologically new. Maui and Oahu will have better swimmable beaches. If your Mother has mobility issues, you may be better off not staying on the Big Island.

Dave

Last edited:

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
You won't find many nice sandy beaches on the Big Island. It's too geologically new. Maui and Oahu will have better swimmable beaches. If your Mother has mobility issues, you may be better off not staying on the Big Island.

Dave

Nice, sandy beaches abound in the Kohala area (which happens to be the oldest part of the island geologically-speaking). Hapuna Beach is regularly cited as one of the best in all Hawaii. Plus, it has decent bathroom facilities and a basic car will get you there, no need for 4wd. Now, can you walk out of your timeshare door to a nice sandy beach on the BI? No, but the list of timeshares you can do that on in the Hawaiian chain is pretty short.

Caius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!
It was great to read these recommendations... We really appreciate your guys to make time sending us these notes!!
Anyway, we would want to have at least a "resort-feeling" location. Between the Royal Sea Cliff and the Kona Hawaiian Village, which one is nicer?
Also, my mother loves beach, and I wonder if any of them (in any islands) has swimmable beach access?

Well, first you probably should pick an island. Big Island and Oahu are VERY different. Is the beach the primary draw for your family?

The closest Wyn property to a swimmable beach would probably be Waikiki. As for the Big Island/Kona resorts, if I remember right there are swimmable beaches an approximately 20 minute drive north on the highway.

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Happy Monday to everyone :)
It seems that I may end up staying in Wyndham Royal Sea Cliff or Kona Hawaiian Village... Which one is nicer and newer?
Or... I can just deposit the weeks onto RCI (the escrow/closing will be done by March 30, 2009) and book the weeks with them. It looks like RCI having more options than FF network (lots of nicer locations/resorts).
How soon can I be able to reserve the week with RCI? What is the % chance that I can reserve these RCI units within few months?
Would anyone be able to look up or be able to estimate the chance/time?
Thanks!!
MN

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Remember - with RCI you are not just making a reservation - You are making an exchange and the week you want has to be deposited by another owner before you can make the exchange. Just because a resort exchanges with RCI does not mean that the week you want will be available just a few months out. If you can reserve a resort for the week you want through FF, I would do that rather than taking a chance with an RCI exchange which may or may not come through.

I see that you are listed as a TUG member now - have you read the TUG reviews for the 2 resorts you are interested in?

tango4u

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Denise,
Yes, I have read the reviews, but still a bit confused. The Kona Hawaiian Village has a bit higher score than the Royal Sea Cliff. However, it did not say which one is newer/nicer...
I have to tell my seller to make a guest reservation for me soon and I have to pick the resort... Any comments/tips/advice?
Like Mauii (nicer beach) but FF does not have many selections (ocean front, nice beach etc)??
Thanks.
MN

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Kona Hawaiian Village has nice units and seemed fairly new to me, but it is definitely not on the beach or even within walkable distance to a beach. It's on a hillside across the street from the ocean, but the coast there is lava rock, and it is lined with private homes and small hotels. I haven't stayed at Royal Sea Cliff - but it's in the same area. With the reviews you have to kind of read between the lines and pick out the features that are important to you.

Another resource for reviews is www.tripadvisor.com - put the exact resort names in the search box.

Kona Hawaiian Village - the units with light green and red roofs behind and to the right of the hotel looking complex with the beige roof. There is no ocean access, because the coast line is lined with private property.

get_image.jpg

KHV floorplan -

12728-fp2.jpg

The Royal Sea Cliff also appears to be on a lava shoreline:

rsc.jpg

Last edited: