• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare appreciation

shmuggee

Reaction score
Anybody else have the same feeling?

While I am very anti-sales/TS scam artist/big corporation...all it will take, is a few nights stay in a hotel - and we are REALLY HAPPY to get back to staying in a timeshare...

Have we become spoiled to the point that even staying in a nice place (it was an Extended Stay in Orlando - with a small kitchen and we had 4 nights) will not do, because when we walked in the door at the Blue Tree Resort our day brightened up immeasureably.

Can we ever go back...or was ignorance truly bliss?

[I moved your thread to the lounge, because the board you posted on (About the Rest of TUG) is for discussions about TUG itself.-DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
similar thread going on in the lounge about this! once you learn it...there really is no substitute!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Extended Stay Is O. K.

Have we become spoiled to the point that even staying in a nice place (it was an Extended Stay in Orlando - with a small kitchen and we had 4 nights) will not do, because when we walked in the door at the Blue Tree Resort our day brightened up immeasureably.
We're OK with Extended Stay America (etc.) when we're staying in a locale where we can't get a timeshare reservation.

Thanks to PriceLine, we've been able to get some of those for way less than Motel 6 & Super 8.

Even so, timeshares are lots better -- even the studio units equipped approximately like Extended Stay.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

shmuggee

Reaction score
We're OK with Extended Stay America (etc.) when we're staying in a locale where we can't get a timeshare reservation.

Thanks to PriceLine, we've been able to get some of those for way less than Motel 6 & Super 8.

Even so, timeshares are lots better -- even the studio units equipped approximately like Extended Stay.

Yah - Extended Stay is better than the Motel 6 (and the like)...but I almost feel claustraphobic (sp?) staying there now...whereas back in the day, I was really happy to stay there. I guess I have been jaded and disillusioned FOREVER!

I see that you own in Cypress Pointe...which is right accross the street from us. Looks nice walking past. Any comments about it?

Thanks
Frank

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am so much of a TS snob that I usually refuse to trade for a studio, only a 1BR will do, even in NYC. So yes, I agree, hotels only as a last resort.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares are great because it's more like staying at a home away from home than in a hotel. I spent a 20 year career travelling and staying in hotels around the world. It was nice, but nothing near the same experience as a timeshare.

Just having that living room, dining room and kitchen with separate rooms for the kids makes all the diffference in the world. Oddly enough, not having daily housekeeping is also nice. You never have to worry about who is coming and going from your room every day.

We just spent Christmas week at the Marriott Ko'Olina on Oahu. There, you get the full vacation resort feel while having your own condo like you're at home. We could still have the grandparents over while having a home prepared prime rib for Christmas dinner.

Timesharing is fantastic.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We only had time for a partial week over Christmas in a timeshare nearby, so it may have seemed a waste to make the trade. But it was worth it to me. That time away to forget about what's going on in the world. To relax and enjoy the resort amenities and be with family, while still spreading out in several rooms. A hotel wouldn't have done it. There is also such a happy atmosphere at timeshares. People are delighted to be on vacation. I even watch the tour groups go by and think, oh please don't buy from the developer, but even if you do, you will like your travel experiences for years to come.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Cypress Pointe Is Outstanding.

I see that you own in Cypress Pointe...which is right accross the street from us. Looks nice walking past. Any comments about it?
We lucked into Cypress Pointe ownership -- sheer blind good luck.

We had just backed out of buying a 2BR fixed-week unit at Isle Of Bali (later renamed Ron Jon & later re-renamed Liki Tiki). Then we discovered TUG, found an ad for a Cypress Pointe 3BR floating-week unit for $3,000 less -- & we jumped on that sight unseen.

We took our 1st vacation there in September 2002, & had a wonderful time. We took the timeshare tour at Cypress Pointe Grande Villas across the street, & were appropriately Wowed at the niceness of the units over there. When we got home, we bought an eBay floating 3BR Grande Villas unit for about $1,500 less than we paid for Cypress Pointe Phase One. Then we re-sold Phase One for the same price we paid for it.

In 2006, we bought back in at Phase One -- 3BR unit, EEY, floating. We weren't really in the market for another timeshare, but that 1 virtually fell into our laps for next to nothing, so we couldn't pass it up. Now we own on both sides of the street.

Cypress Pointe -- both phases -- has a wonderfully convenient Orlando location. Both phases are just the right size -- large enough so it feels like someplace special & small enough so it's not overwhelming (like those super-whelming mega-resort timeshares). Both phases strive for quality, both are managed by owner-controlled independent HOAs, both are outstanding.

We love Cypress Pointe.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think many would dispute that the facilities provided by timeshare ownership and exchange are generally superior to anything available via conventional holidays for the price. By conventional I mean hotel or similar.
The potential downside of t/s ownership is the ongoing financial commitment even if circumstances change. When it's necessary to pull in the belt a couple of notches a holiday can be removed from the schedule to save money, with t/s you still have the fees to pay. DRI in Europe have recently increased their m/f by anything up to 40%. Many people are saying that they are unable to pay the fees but that DRI are being inflexible in their attitude.
That said, I've owned t/s for over 20 years, thankfully not DRI, and believe I've had good value from it.

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm spoiled and I'm staying spoiled. I can't do hotels anymore. Well, maybe NYC, but that's it.

Love my timeshares!
Anne