• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time to record new ownership: How long?

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been 8 weeks since my MCV 2br recorded in Maricopa county. I am still waiting to hear from Marriott. Is this par for the course? Just wondered what wait times others have experienced.

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have had the same problem. It is incredibly discouraging. I am just glad
that as a part of my closing. i required the previous owner make a 2009 reservation for me, before closing.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If you haven't done it, fax your driver license and SSN to Owner Modifications at Marriott. (There was another thread about this requirement.) After 7 weeks, I was contacted and told this was a "new" requirement.

I had called around 4 weeks to confirm that they had EVERTHING, having heard about the new requirement. They assured me everthing was in order, didn't need anything more, and that it simply had to run its course as they were backlogged.

After we faxed our info (at 7 weeks) they then said, "Ok, now that we have everthing it will be done WITHIN 8 WEEKS!" I respectfully said NO, this was your new requirement, etc., etc. and they promised to transfer within 1 week.

WE SHALL SEE...

(This is beyond absurd, but I will not say the L-suit word so Dave doesn't tell me Marriott's lawyers aren't afraid, feel this is OK, and they reserve the right to do anything they want, etc. ) Imagine you buy a condo and the HOA says it will take us 2 months to recognize you as an owner and give you the pool key and your gate code and turn on your electricity, water and gas....sorry, just wait, we are too busy and have cut back staff to save money and just recently consolidated departments.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Imagine you buy a condo and the HOA says it will take us 2 months to recognize you as an owner and give you the pool key and your gate code and turn on your electricity, water and gas....sorry, just wait, we are too busy and have cut back staff to save money and just recently consolidated departments.

The frustrating aspect of this delay (to put it politely), is that we pay Marriott $120 for each transfer -- $95 for the "service" of waiving ROFR and another $25 for the transfer itself. This is a profit center for Marriott. Why did they cut back staff in a portion of their organization that generates a profit?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
My deed for Shadow Ridge recorded in July. I personally made sure the closing CO sent it to Marriott right away. I called them a week ago and they said "they are behind".

So we are talking MONTHS!! 1/2 year from purchase almost. UGH.

Katherine

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
My deed for Shadow Ridge recorded in July. I personally made sure the closing CO sent it to Marriott right away. I called them a week ago and they said "they are behind".

Katherine

Katherine- who and what number did you call?

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my notice of ownership change

:whoopie:

I just got my notice of ownership change from Marriott for my MCV week. The sale was the first week of July, Closed early August, Deed recorded mid-August, Not sure when the paperwork was sent to Marriot, but they sent me a letter Nov 5th that they had recorded the change in ownership with an owner number. They also confirmed my reservation for April. Considering the posts above, I consider myself lucky. Perhaps they are catching up on the back log.

NJN2Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
MMC Ownership change took 60 days.

Our MMC plat. resale week won on eBay for $7100, was recorded and sent to Marriott to Owner Mod. Sept. 6th. We were told by the closing company that it would take 60 days. Nov. 5th we also heard that the ownership had transferred. Slow, but exactly as the closing company had told us to expect, Christi Miller from American Timeshare Closing, kept us informed every step of the transaction. It all went very smoothly, no surprises.

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our MMC plat. resale week won on eBay for $7100, was recorded and sent to Marriott to Owner Mod. Sept. 6th. We were told by the closing company that it would take 60 days. Nov. 5th we also heard that the ownership had transferred. Slow, but exactly as the closing company had told us to expect, Christi Miller from American Timeshare Closing, kept us informed every step of the transaction. It all went very smoothly, no surprises.
Did you have to send your driver licence?

Travelmom64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not alone

Recorded deed in July...still waiting.

I have posted before, and see I am still not alone. Still waiting here too! Marriott has had my paper work since August 27th, was told last Friday "10 more business days". Sale closed on Ebay mid-June, right at five months ago since I sent money, frustrating.:(

NJN2Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
DL or passport required.

Did you have to send your driver licence?

Yes. But the closing company asked for copies of these with the signed purchase agreement, so everything was sent as a package right from the start.

MaryLou

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
My deed was recorded the last week of September, sent to Marriott the first week of October - I received a letter dated 11/3 that the ownership had transfered and welcomed me to the Marriott Family

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
For those of you who have been recognized as owners, how long after did you have web access?

rbwyman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is getting faster

The deed for our recent purchase was sent to Marriott in early October. The letter confirming transfer by Marriott was dated November 3. We saw that the unit had been added to our holdings on the web site before we received the confirmation letter.

Travelmom64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now MID December they say!

Okay, last week they said "10 more business days", today they said "MID-December"......are you kidding me???

I notice from this thread, some folks with purchase dates/deed dates after mine, already have their ownership in place. Do you think the time frame (recording of ownership) is different between resorts?

I am not feeling very confident about my purchase right now, and almost question if they even have my paper work. Never having worked with a company where one person was not handling my file and I could speak directly with that person, is frustrating:mad: . New ballgame with new rules, I know now!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
The rules are the same, they simply choose not to follow them.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
For those of you who have been recognized as owners, how long after did you have web access?
I went to my current Marriott Owner page for my developer weeks
and under "Manage My Account"
and then 'My Profile'
and then the tab labeled "Marriott Vacation Club Customer Account Detail - Add Customer Account"

I was able to input the new owner number they gave me (It was on my "Welcome" letter) - filled in the details last evening and then this morning when I logged into the account - I saw all of my ownerships - developer and resale.

They did tell me that in order to set up an online account (whether this is your first Marriott purchase or an additional one - either resale or developer) there must be an email associated with the owner number - so call Marriott, give them an email address and then set up the online account.
They told me I would need a different email then the one on my current account - so I gave them a yahoo one to use - once I had logged in and added the new ownership to the online account - I simply edited the email address on record so they both are the same. I also edited my address so both ownerships had exactly the same on record (changed LN to LANE - that sort of thing!)

Travelmom64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some are lucky

The rules are the same, they simply choose not to follow them.

Just received voice mail from my girlfriend, who purchased Barony on Ebay about a month after me (July), said she received Marriott ownership info in the mail yesterday!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I received my owner # yesterday (11 weeks later) only after many, many, many, many phone calls to a supervisor who actually helped out tremendously. Marriott continued to claim that they didn't have ROFR waiver, which had been sent to them by escrow in orginal packet, then didn't have copy of our DL which had never been requested prior, etc., etc. I faxed to Marriott multiple times but they somehow couldn't locate the docs.

Finally I told the supervisor I would e-mail the docs to him and wait on the line until he received them. He was very helpful but essentially said they are swamped.

The problem is that there is no efficient way to determine that they have everything (and I am not convinced that they didn't). They had told me in September then October they had everything, just wait...then comes November and miraculously then ask for the above docs, and say when we get them it should be about 8 more weeks!!!

Suffice to say my persistence (not sure they would call it that!) and a caring person paid off.

Marriott should provide a checklist and some way for new owner to confirm in writing, e-mail etc. that they have all docs. Otherwise they play this game; but in the end I suspect that's how they want it. I feel a big suit in Marriott's future if they don't fix this problem. No transfer should take more than a few days once they have all docs.

Travelmom64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any new news???

Katherine

Katherine,
Any new news from Marriott on your ownership transfer?

Nothing here! :mad:
Lisa