• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time to dump yahoo email completely

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yahoo was my very first email account, but in recent years I have used it more as a secondary account. Now they have finally motivated me to dump it entirely. In the past few days, I have had their system tell me that I had requested a two step verification process, which I never have, and it requires me to get a text message every time I sign in. When I went to their chat line to try to correct this process which is cumbersome and annoying, I was told that they could not help me on that. The only way I can change it is to pay $12.99 a month for premium service and they can change it. This is highway robbery. They have stuck something I did not ask for and do not want on my account and will not remove it unless I pay them money to do it. Heck, I am tempted to file a complaint with our state consumer protection division.

This makes my current primary email account, with Protonmail, even more appealing.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I agree with you. If the only way they can remove something is if you pay them a subscription fee, then it's not a free email any longer. Extortion, plain and simple.

I gave up on Yahoo years ago, when they refused to filter out the exponentially increasing amounts of spam sent to my inbox. Between Yahoo and Hotmail, I was getting many dozens of spam messages every day, and there was no way I could find to filter it out. I dumped them both and went to Gmail, and I am still pleased with it. Some people really hate Google, and Gmail by inference, but I can set that aside in favor of having reliable email for free, that is extremely spam-free.

Hope you find something you like.

Dave

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Oh my. I too have had Yahoo mail for many years, since the late 1990s. I hate that it's still tied to AT&T in such a way that I have to use my AT&T login to do anything. However, I read my email via the Mail app on my iPhone and Outlook on my desktop (had to go through the trouble of authenticating it to Yahoo's satisfaction some time ago in order to keep using Outlook), and they filter the spam tolerably well. I'm afraid to start using something else because so many accounts are tied to that email address!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Oh my. I too have had Yahoo mail for many years, since the late 1990s. I hate that it's still tied to AT&T in such a way that I have to use my AT&T login to do anything. However, I read my email via the Mail app on my iPhone and Outlook on my desktop (had to go through the trouble of authenticating it to Yahoo's satisfaction some time ago in order to keep using Outlook), and they filter the spam tolerably well. I'm afraid to start using something else because so many accounts are tied to that email address!

I have an old Hotmail address. I have had it for decades also. It dump my spam file once a day when I check my mail. I never want to change either because all my account are tied to it. I hope I never have to.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
In the past few days, I have had their system tell me that I had requested a two step verification process, which I never have, and it requires me to get a text message every time I sign in. When I went to their chat line to try to correct this process which is cumbersome and annoying, I was told that they could not help me on that. The only way I can change it is to pay $12.99 a month for premium service and they can change it.
Your profile says you are in Eastern Europe, so maybe that has something to do with it? I have two yahoo accounts, and I'm not having any sign-in issues with either one.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I ave on Yahoo account, one Comcast account, one Gmail account, and two Hotmail accounts. I manage all of the them with Microsoft mail. It's convenient - each them shows up as a separate account, with it's own inbox, sent mail, drafts, junk mail, etc., including any folders I have created. Each of the accounts shows in a panel on the left. By clicking on the account on the panel, I can view that account (and only that account).

I haven't had any of the issues with Yahoo that you describe.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ave on Yahoo account, one Comcast account, one Gmail account, and two Hotmail accounts. I manage all of the them with Microsoft mail. It's convenient - each them shows up as a separate account, with it's own inbox, sent mail, drafts, junk mail, etc., including any folders I have created. Each of the accounts shows in a panel on the left. By clicking on the account on the panel, I can view that account (and only that account).
I do pretty much the same thing since my ISP quit supporting their email client. I signed onto mail dot com for their free email- along with a gmail I've used for years. After a while I sprung for the $20/yr for more filters and less spam from mail dot com. It seems worth it and doesn't require 2 factor authentication.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your profile says you are in Eastern Europe, so maybe that has something to do with it? I have two yahoo accounts, and I'm not having any sign-in issues with either one.

I was working full time in eastern Europe and was back in the states only a couple of weeks per year. Now, I am in North Carolina more than there, although may go on as much as a six month stretch. I never had that happen with Yahoo in Europe. This has popped up while I am in North Carolina.

My primary email is with Protonmail which is based in Switzerland, and a very good privacy-oriented email service, with good spam filtering. They also have a free VPN which is nice. I still have some things tied to Yahoo, so I had kept it as a secondary email.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
yeah, sounds like your location is driving this. I have 2 yahoo accounts. Like @DaveNV said, they are not as good as they used to be about eliminating the spam. Instead, I get an invite to upgrade. Naw, I'll deal with it. I get what I pay for - nuthin. My premier accounts are gmail and my Apple account. I use yahoo for my "junk" email :)

I use Google Fi for my phone service, too! And, I've been extremely pleased! No "spam" calls get through. Unless your number is already Identified, ie friends or family, it goes straight to voice mail. Peace!

Reaction score
I am in the process of leaving Yahoo after 20+ years and switching to GMail. Spam is the biggest reason. A few companies (restaurants) are making it hard to change the e-mail, some I have deleted the account so I can re-enroll with the GMail address. But, others allowed me to. Work and my financial institutions already were set to GMail. I figure by New Years Day, I should be 100% switched to GMail.

TS

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yahoo has been my home page and email since the earth cooled.
One issue in ~25 yrs... Briefly got Spanish-language advertising.
Never quite figured that out, but it went away... so no worries.

I also have a gmail account for junk mail I get from merchants.

Brett

Reaction score
I also use several Yahoo mail accounts and Gmail with just "one step" authenication
( located in the US)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I use Google Fi for my phone service, too! And, I've been extremely pleased! No "spam" calls get through. Unless your number is already Identified, ie friends or family, it goes straight to voice mail. Peace!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I just learned the other day about iPhone's "Silence Unknown Callers" feature. I had started to get spoofed spam calls every few minutes, one after another. Extremely annoying. I Googled how to stop these calls, and learned about this built-in feature. Turned it on, and Shazam! - blissful silence every since. Known callers get through normally, but the spam calls have stopped.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a yahoo account, that we have not used in decades.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah, sounds like your location is driving this. I have 2 yahoo accounts. Like @DaveNV said, they are not as good as they used to be about eliminating the spam. Instead, I get an invite to upgrade. Naw, I'll deal with it. I get what I pay for - nuthin. My premier accounts are gmail and my Apple account. I use yahoo for my "junk" email :)

The problem did not arise while I was in Europe. It arose while I was in North Carolina and had not been in Europe for several months.

I am not fond of Google. A company whose business model is based on collecting and selling users information is not one I am keen on using. Sometimes they collect things that people have opted out of (which Google just had to pay out $400 million in a settlement with state attorneys general over). Protonmail does not do that, and that is one of the things I really like about them.

Yahoo had for several years been pushing paid "upgrades" which I always ignored. Then they change my sign-in to something cumbersome and annoying and won't change it back without being extorted for a $12.99 a month "premium" service? That pushes me out. There are too many email services out there which do not try to shake you down. I had no real problem with them for the decades I had used them, but this one is too much.

Brett

Reaction score
The problem did not arise while I was in Europe. It arose while I was in North Carolina and had not been in Europe for several months.

I am not fond of Google. A company whose business model is based on collecting and selling users information is not one I am keen on using. Sometimes they collect things that people have opted out of (which Google just had to pay out $400 million in a settlement with state attorneys general over). Protonmail does not do that, and that is one of the things I really like about them.

Yahoo had for several years been pushing paid "upgrades" which I always ignored. Then they change my sign-in to something cumbersome and annoying and won't change it back without being extorted for a $12.99 a month "premium" service? That pushes me out. There are too many email services out there which do not try to shake you down. I had no real problem with them for the decades I had used them, but this one is too much.

people have yahoo and gmail accounts and don't have to use "cumbersome" sign-in requirements (like myself)
Maybe you are different .....

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
people have yahoo and gmail accounts and don't have to use "cumbersome" sign-in requirements (like myself)

I have had yahoo for decades, and did not have this problem until this week. When I try to sign in, it says I "opted for a two step process" which I did not. Now they want me to pay them to fix it. Maybe others will start seeing this come up, I don't know, but it just hit me recently. My wife and son both have yahoo accounts and have not had this problem as yet.

I also have outlook, protonmail, and hotmail accounts and have no problems with any of them.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When I try to sign in, it says I "opted for a two step process" which I did not....

I dunno if Yahoo did this, but on some sneaky websites, when
you load a feature, it'll pre-check an opt-in box, and tempt you
to ignore it with a big "Continue" button, so it gets overlooked.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think it's also quite possible Yahoo is doing a test on a portion of their user base to see how many will pay and how many will quit. I doubt they make much money on free email, so given the value of their other businesses (low) they might be experimenting to see how many they can convert. If even a small % converted to paying and the rest quit they would make much more money.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I think it's also quite possible Yahoo is doing a test on a portion of their user base to see how many will pay and how many will quit. I doubt they make much money on free email, so given the value of their other businesses (low) they might be experimenting to see how many they can convert. If even a small % converted to paying and the rest quit they would make much more money.
OMG, you might be right. If we get hit with that, I might pay the money for one month, enough time to move whatever I can to an alternate address. Or multiple addresses (for family/friends vs. businesses). I’ve been contemplating that for some time now anyway.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did come up with a partial solution. Everything important I had already moved over to my Protonmail account, so nothing terribly significant goes through the Yahoo account. Now, I just never sign out of Yahoo, and thus don't have to go through that sign in malarky. It is not very secure, to be sure, but since I don't use that account for anything important, that really does not matter so much.

The suggestion that it might be a pre-checked box got me to thinking. For the last 3 or 4 months I have had something come up about every 30 days asking me to verify my cell phones and alternate email addresses for backup, which only took a few seconds, but it was odd they kept doing that every 30 days. Then about 3 weeks after the last one of those came this new sign in crap. If I had not noticed a pre-checked box, I would think that would have triggered an immediate change, not one 3 weeks later, but who knows?

I will be shifting the minor things I still do with that account over to Outlook, but I get emails from time to time to people who have not gotten my up to date email address, so I don't want to close it entirely. Just leaving it always signed in may well be the way forward, as well as stopping what remaining active use of the account I had.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I will be shifting the minor things I still do with that account over to Outlook, but I get emails from time to time to people who have not gotten my up to date email address, so I don't want to close it entirely. Just leaving it always signed in may well be the way forward, as well as stopping what remaining active use of the account I had.

That will also be a good way to gauge how much spam you're actually getting through that account.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to dump many online accounts liked yahoo and some timeshares accounts in 2023. I'm just not happy with all these changes.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
For more than 20 years I had an email with optimum... jastein@optonline.net. EVERYTHING went there. Then I moved around a year and half ago and I lost the account because I now have FIOS internet service. It was a lot of aggravation to switch everything over to GMAIL. I will never tie myself to a email that is from an internet or other provider.

I also have a YAHOO mail account. These sort of free accounts are great.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
For more than 20 years I had an email with optimum... jastein@optonline.net. EVERYTHING went there. Then I moved around a year and half ago and I lost the account because I now have FIOS internet service. It was a lot of aggravation to switch everything over to GMAIL. I will never tie myself to a email that is from an internet or other provider.

I also have a YAHOO mail account. These sort of free accounts are great.

I have been very pleased so far with Protonmail which is based in Switzerland and has both free accounts and paid accounts, as well as both free and paid VPN. The free email and VPN accounts are doing everything I need.