• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time Share All Inclusive Fees

Juang1942

Reaction score
I need some help. It seems that most resorts are requiring all inclusive mandatory fees ranging far and wide. I can exchange my timeshare to an excellent resort in the DR that requires a $175 PP per dayX7 days for a total of $2,450. Add the $200 exchange fee for RCI and my total cost is $2,650. Yet I can book the same resort for a total of $3,087. So I save a total of $437 on the exchange. But if I factor in my annual maintenance fee which in excess of$1,000, it would seemed that my timeshare is not worth very much. The all inclusive fee constraints me to the resort. If I wish to dine outside the resort, I incur additional costs. Are time shares becoming irrelevant? Is it time to shuck the my timeshare? Any help would be appreciated.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In parts of Mexico (Cancun especially), the DR and various Caribbean locations AI are become more and more prevalent and exchanging into one is rarely a good deal. Using RCI or II for a getaway (sometimes for about the same cost as the exchange fee) plus the mandatory AI fee may or may not be the best deal you can find to those AI resorts. You need to shop around.

TS are alive and well in the US.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't know of any resorts IN the US that have inclusive fees. Just exchange within US, and fees are minimal.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
If you have your heart set on the DR then look on travel (non-timeshare) websites for a package deal. Then, as Denise said, use your timeshare to exchange to a resort within the USA.

DS & gf went to an AI resort in the DR last year -total trip, from Toronto, Canada was less than $1000. each -that's airfare, 5* hotel & all meals/activities! That is less than what you are considering paying for just the AI portion alone!

~Diane

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why we don't like AI resorts. No way do you really get any value from it and (at least for us) we don't eat and drink that much. Even in my pre marital drunk and disorderly days, I couldn't eat and drink $175 per day! :eek:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to PUJ in January. Our two 3 year old sons will eat and drink (milk) for free. They do not eat much but it is easy. We will probably only leave the resort a few times during the week. So far for us, all inclusive works. When our kids are older hopefully we will just do a few days at the all inclusive and the rest at a resort.

Last year we went to Aruba and rented a car. Non all inclusive and had a great time as well. Purchased most of our food at pricesmart (like Costco) and ate either lunch or dinner out. Senor frogs kids eat free and they cannot destroy the place.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is why trading a week for a mandatory AI resort is usually a bad deal. You can often get a deal through an AI consolidator for about the same price, sometimes including airfare. I know if we ever go to an AI, we will likely book through a travel agent or through an online consolidator.

IMO, never trade your week in to a mandatory AI.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why trading a week for a mandatory AI resort is usually a bad deal. You can often get a deal through an AI consolidator for about the same price, sometimes including airfare. I know if we ever go to an AI, we will likely book through a travel agent or through an online consolidator.

IMO, never trade your week in to a mandatory AI.

Or as in the case of the Royal Resorts rent from an owner and you do not gave to do AI.
I agree, we do not like AI.

geekette

Reaction score
I've done AI once, because I found a deal - buy 5 days, get 2 free. I own at Pueblo Bonita Sunset Beach and per person day, came to $60. It was total R&R vacation and AI good at sister resorts on swimmable beach, so tremendously good value. It helped that the base owner fee was lower than for others.

You might find better deals at non-mandatory resorts if they are unable to get enough to sign up at predatory pricing. If you own in a chain, they may offer you deals as an owner. Never hurts to inquire.