• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Three-day preference period in II is an obvious myth

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I posted sightings yesterday for next fall at the Maui and Kauai Westins, and now they are mostly gone, and exchanges were given out last night to non-owners. I assume this is a myth, the 3 day preference period for Starwood.

Did it change to less than 24 hours? Last night, there wasn't much left, and there were certainly no 2 bedrooms left, and luvmaui posted on the sighting that her exchange came through early this morning.

That is not what we all assumed was the case. Where is the promised 3-day preference? :eek: What am I missing here?

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, my 2 bedroom several month ongoing search with a non-starwood property came through early am today. I was expecting to maybe see a match late Thursday night, but wow was I surprised when my deposit was missing. Does the 3 day preference period really exist? Is it possible the Cindy actually missed the sighting for 2 full days (I think NOT!)?

Anyway, we're excited to be confirmed for our 2 bedroom next September.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am very happy for you! I don't get it myself, but maybe I missed the sighting over the few days before, but I do check often, and I am doubting it.

We have had an ongoing request for MONTHS for Westin Princeville for Feb- May 2009. No luck, but we might see some new deposits after the new year, when everyone has to fork over their maintenance fees. I know it will come through, but the waiting is LONG.:D

Kimberly614

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I read before that ongoing searches were matched before any inventory appeared online. In other words, an ongoing search from any resort owner w/ trade power will take the week before it appears online for the 3 day Starwood preference period

So, I would assume luvmaui's exchange was made before those weeks appeared online, and then he/she received confirmation later. Also, other non-starwood owners could place an ongoing search/request after they saw the sighting posted on tug and timeshareforums. Then, overnight II would match their requests and now all inventory is gone.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong; I am just fairly certain I read that here before.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
On-going requests are filled first and the Starwood priority doesn't apply to the on-going requests - non-Starwood owner's have the same chance w/an on-going request as owners. Now, II may screw it up now and then, but I don't think the 3 day priority is a myth. I think Kim's assessment is correct.

Last edited:

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well......my ongoing search included some of the week's in Cindy's sighting, but not all the weeks. So if an ongoing search trumps 3 day preference then either my unit didn't have the trade power it needed or there was a 3 day preference. After Cindy's sighting I subsequently added an additional week to my ongoing search and that night it was confirmed. Maybe the additional week didn't need as much trade power or there wasn't enough demand for WKORV, so my unit in 2nd priority then snagged it?

Could it be possible my week didn't have enough trade power for one WKORV week in September, but enough trade power for a different week? This seems unlikely, but possible. Could one September week check-in demand more trade power than another September week check-in, I guess it's possible? Maybe the week I added just yesterday was an easier trade, so I was confirmed last night. I guess we'll never know.

We've been confirmed for WKORV before with the same traded week, so I would guess I have enough trade power. I always use my 2 br 4th of July Eagle Crest summer week and have traded for WKORV as well as Four Seasons Aviara - all outside flexchange period, with ongoing searches.

I thought I read before that ongoing searches were matched before any inventory appeared online. In other words, an ongoing search from any resort owner w/ trade power will take the week before it appears online for the 3 day Starwood preference period

So, I would assume luvmaui's exchange was made before those weeks appeared online, and then he/she received confirmation later. Also, other non-starwood owners could place an ongoing search/request after they saw the sighting posted on tug and timeshareforums. Then, overnight II would match their requests and now all inventory is gone.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong; I am just fairly certain I read that here before.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw the inventory yesterday for the first time with SBP summer 2 bedroom. Then I saw the leftover inventory today with Foxrun, and it was the same as SBP. Interesting........

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just call up II or Starwood and get a straight and accurate answer to questions like this? :rolleyes:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just call up II or Starwood and get a straight and accurate answer to questions like this? :rolleyes:
:hysterical: :rofl: Denise, you are soo funny!! Like that could ever happen "call up II or Starwood and get a straight and accurate answer " :rofl: :hysterical:

Kimberly614

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of these issues are probably with Interval. I had an ongoing request for any Orlando DVC 2 bedroom for several dates around Christmas, and I only got my exchange because I saw it online and called.

The week online was within the dates of my request and at a resort I requested. I could see it online, but it wasn't matched with my ongoing search/request.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the trades I have made with II so far, but the system definitely has some glitches.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the trades I have made with II so far, but the system definitely has some glitches.

Oh, yeah, there are numerous glitches. :doh:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
On-going requests are filled first and the Starwood priority doesn't apply to the on-going requests - non-Starwood owner's have the same chance w/an on-going request as owners. Now, II may screw it up now and then, but I don't think the 3 day priority is a myth. I think Kim's assessment is correct.

Just to let you know the 24 day preference in Marriott does not work this way. For the 1st 24 days, Marriotts and only Marriott exchanges will see other Marriott exchanges. This includes ongoing or regular searches. It does not mean that any Marriott will snag another Marriott exchange. You will still have to have the trading power. I know Marriott uses this system to replace its lack of internal trading program. However, it works well for me as I can get trades one year out at popular places but I do only own platinum weeks so, I'm not trying to upgrade.

Onto Starwood while... I believe there might be a 3 day window, I'm doubtful and the reason is that a salesperson has never mentioned it. When I've gone to Marriott sales presentations the sales people do mention the II preference or they have. I've been to 2 Starwood presentations... and I think, my dh has been to 5 or 6 of them. They don't even talk about II. It is never mentioned other than you can trade through II. It would be interesting if we could get someone from II or Starwood to admit if there is even such a program..

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When II had a rep on TUG (Craig U, a senior exec at II), he confirmed the existence of the preference period, but said he wasn't at liberty to discuss the exact terms. Over time, many of us figured out that it was approx 3 days by trial and error -- for example, I have a lot of different weeks in my 4 II accounts, and I personally tracked when specific Starwood deposits were available with only Starwood weeks, and when they became available with my non-Starwood weeks. It was very consistent at 3 days for several years (I think I started tracking it in about 2002) but has become more erratic recently. I personally thinks II monitors the TUG sightings board and pulls the deposits from "public view" once we've posted bulk bankings (and because of this belief, I only post the ones I don't care about -- I'm sorry to say -- :eek: !). And, remember, just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean II isn't out to get me! :D

As far as the trading power side of things, Starwood works just like Marriott -- when a specific deposit is within the preference period, you have to have another Starwood AND the trading power to see it. For example, a silver SBP will not see a 2-Bedroom at Harborside outside of flexchange. But, a one-BR "bright red" platinum at SBP or SDO will see a 2-BR at Harborside, WSJ, WKORV, etc. And, it's important to remember that II does not value weeks the same way Starwood does. Even though it's the desert, there's demand for summer weeks at WMH 'cuz it's a quality resort and the kids are out of school. So, although Starwood might code a summer week as silver, II appears to have a little more respect for it!

It should work like this:

For the first 3 days after Starwood makes a deposit:
  • First, II matches requests to ongoing requests placed by other Starwood owners with the requisite trading power
  • Then, II places the remainder online for instant confirmation by other Starwood owners with the requisite trading power

After 3 days,
  • II should match ongoing requests placed by non-Starwood owners with the requisite trading power
  • Then, II places the remainder online for instant confirmation by anyone with the requisite trading power

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
  • First, II matches requests to ongoing requests placed by other Starwood owners with the requisite trading power
  • Then, II places the remainder online for instant confirmation by other Starwood owners with the requisite trading power

I'm certainly no expert, but I didn't think the 3 day Starwood priority applied to on-going requests?

Fredm - you wrote the TUG article, right? What do you think?

Last edited:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know the 24 day preference in Marriott does not work this way. For the 1st 24 days, Marriotts and only Marriott exchanges will see other Marriott exchanges. This includes ongoing or regular searches. It does not mean that any Marriott will snag another Marriott exchange. You will still have to have the trading power. I know Marriott uses this system to replace its lack of internal trading program. However, it works well for me as I can get trades one year out at popular places but I do only own platinum weeks so, I'm not trying to upgrade.

Onto Starwood while... I believe there might be a 3 day window, I'm doubtful and the reason is that a salesperson has never mentioned it. When I've gone to Marriott sales presentations the sales people do mention the II preference or they have. I've been to 2 Starwood presentations... and I think, my dh has been to 5 or 6 of them. They don't even talk about II. It is never mentioned other than you can trade through II. It would be interesting if we could get someone from II or Starwood to admit if there is even such a program..

Just a guess, but I imagine Starwood does not want to say anything in a sales presentation that would detract from their emphasis on SVN. After all, it is somewhat of a contradiction.

Reaction score
Hey JerseyGirl, really dumb question -- why do you have 4 II accounts? How does that help? I'm new to TS and am trying to figure this out.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey JerseyGirl, really dumb question -- why do you have 4 II accounts? How does that help? I'm new to TS and am trying to figure this out.

Actually, I just remembered I have five, :eek:. Four are affiliated with/set up by developers (e.g., Hyatt, Starwood, etc.) and one is my personal account. It could be because I have the ownerships titled differently -- or maybe they always do this, but I have two separate II developer accounts for 2 different Starwood mandatory resorts. I pay a membership fee directly to II for the personal account and I'm sure I'm paying for the other 4 as part of my maintenance fees. :( There's NO benefit whatsoever -- in fact, it's a pain in the neck, but that's just how it works with some of the direct-developer accounts.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert, but I didn't think the 3 day Starwood priority applied to on-going requests?

Denise -- I'm not an expert either, but why do you think it wouldn't work this way? II's terms and conditions state that ongoing requests are filled first -- and absent language stating, "unless a specific preference period is in effect," they should live up to that promise in all cases. There's supposed to be a benefit to giving II use of your funds in the form of an ongoing request.

But ... remember, I did say, "It SHOULD work like this," with the emphasis on SHOULD! I meant it in the moral/ethical way, which is really kind of funny when you're talking about timeshares, isn't it?!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise -- I'm not an expert either, but why do you think it wouldn't work this way? II's terms and conditions state that ongoing requests are filled first -- and absent language stating, "unless a specific preference period is in effect," they should live up to that promise in all cases. There's supposed to be a benefit to giving II use of your funds in the form of an ongoing request.

But ... remember, I did say, "It SHOULD work like this," with the emphasis on SHOULD! I meant it in the moral/ethical way, which is really kind of funny when you're talking about timeshares, isn't it?!

It's not that I don't believe it - I just have never heard that the 3 day priority applied to on-going requests until now. I thought all on-going requests (Starwood and others) were filled before they appeared online.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that you thought II would fill an ongoing request placed by a Marriott (or other non-Starwood) owner prior to placing the online inventory for Starwood owners during the 3 day preference period?

I think we've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary over the years. Starwood owners have reported sightings where Marriott (or other non-Starwood) owners have reported the existence of ongoing requests that have not yet been filled.

I think the preference period overrides ongoing requests except for those placed by other Starwood owners.

By the way -- I wasn't accusing you of not believing -- I'm not positive either and was asking why you thought what you thought. Your experience or reports by others could most definitely be different than mine. My theories are based on ~6 years of searching and comparing results with other Starwood and non-Starwood owners. Like I mentioned earlier, it was consistent for years and years -- but has been different lately, as evidenced by this week's sightings. For whatever reason, II seems to be pulling the inventory "offline" prior to the end of the traditional 3-day preference period. The more information we have regarding others' experiences, the more likely we'll be able to figure out what's going on. As it stands right now, it appears the preference period may have been reduced to 24 hours. One might ask why Starwood would allow that (i.e., reduce an owner benefit). And, that answer is easy -- it's another way to mess with the resale buyer!! There's no way they're happy about us bragging when the owner of a one-BR SBP that was purchased on ebay for $199 is able to trade into a two-BR WKORV.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you have that right. II and Starwood probably don't appreciate threads bragging about our trades. The paranoid part of me thinks we should stop bragging. Maybe we should brag via PM's or something. TUG is very public, and we don't have a place to post these things in secrecy.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
It's not that I don't believe it - I just have never heard that the 3 day priority applied to on-going requests until now. I thought all on-going requests (Starwood and others) were filled before they appeared online.

II Peeps :eek: - close your eyes :whoopie:

All ongoing Starwood requests WOULD be filled before the 'leftovers' appear online but NOT the non-Starwood ongoing requests for a Starwood resort - they are subject to the 3 day preference - but I/we encourage non-Starwood owners to put in these ongoing requests when the weeks are spotted online by Starwood owners so they will be 'first in line' when the week are released to the general public.

The same is true for Marriott weeks and the 24 day preference...many knowledgeable exchangers that want a Marriott week will put in their request at the 14 month mark to snag the weeks deposited at 13+months - if no eligible Marriott week owner has a request in, a non-Marriott with the required trading power/quality will snag it after the preference period is over thru that ongoing search.

Also keep in mind that a Starwood week that has been deposited and exchanged into by someone - if that exchange is canceled, the week goes back into the inventory without any preference....so anyone can get a 'throw back' week.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I posted sightings yesterday for next fall at the Maui and Kauai Westins, and now they are mostly gone, and exchanges were given out last night to non-owners. I assume this is a myth, the 3 day preference period for Starwood.

Did it change to less than 24 hours? Last night, there wasn't much left, and there were certainly no 2 bedrooms left, and luvmaui posted on the sighting that her exchange came through early this morning.

That is not what we all assumed was the case. Where is the promised 3-day preference? :eek: What am I missing here?

Here's the rub Cindy.
As JerseyG mentioned - this is NOT an 'official' Starwood policy - or at least none of us are aware of this.
Starwood sells itself as a POINTS ownership and that is where their total focus is - the use of the external trade system is one they barely touch on.

Marriott on the other hand is very clear about your trading preference period and how it works as II is the ONLY official trading system for Marriott to Marriott trades. As a Marriott owner, you get an II Marriott Book every year that explains how to trade your Marriott thru II and how the preference period/priority trading works.

Many feel this 'relationship' will change in the near future....but until then, II is the only way to trade your Mar to Mar....which is NOT the case with SVN...

It is all pretty darn interesting - and now I just got my Wyndham/Fairshare Plus II account :cheer:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, Pat, what you said makes a lot of sense. If there is no benefit to the developer sales, then of course they wouldn't have any kind of official Starwood preference. I really hadn't thought of that before. If Starwood has their own internal trade system, they don't care about any preference.

We are basically lucky there is a less than 24-hour preference, then. I am starting to understand this a little better.

Pat, thank you for clarifying, and also to Jerseygirl for her explanation.

Also, congrats on your Fairfield II account, Pat! :)

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I did not respond sooner. jerseygirl has it right.

The first 3 days a Starwood is on deposit, no one but a Starwood owner has visibility to it. BUT, it would never become an available deposit visible to Starwood owners if a pending request was waiting for it. Make sense? Why would it be made visible to other Starwood owners? That would suggest it was available. It would not be available if a pending request was already in.

How's that for repeating myself 3 times?:doh:

This might go a little ways to counter a point of view that has been stated on this board from time to time. That being the reluctance to deposit (and thereby creating a pending request) your (or a) use-week before knowing what might be available for trade.

You will never know what is not available because it was claimed by a pending request. By definition, if you can see it, a Starwood owner did not have a pending request outstanding. Yet, the single greatest likelihood of getting the trade is placing a pending request for it.

Think about that for a moment, if not routinely accustomed to trading this way. Pick a week, any week, at any Starwood resort. If the resort has 200 units, one owner in 200 must decide to exchange somewhere else in the world for your pending request to be filled.(assuming another is not also pending along side of you). Not terribly hard to imagine. But, that's why you would place a request for at least 3 different dates.

I know. You would say that Starwood controls the inventory, and probably will not deposit the desired week. To which, I say, how do you know? If you have not had a request pending?

All of which gets around to the discussion of owning a trading week.
Imagine for a moment that Starwood were required to deposit your reserved week with I.I. as your trading chip. A 3 day exclusive for trades to other Starwood resorts looks pretty powerful. It is more powerful yet if you have a pending request sitting in front of everyone who need the security of knowing what is already available in those 3 days.
Little question that given a small amount of flexibility in travel dates, you can pack your bags.
Now, to those who mock Marriott's lack of an "internal" trading system, consider this: Take the above as if it were true. Expand the 3 days to 24 days, and expand the resorts available to 59, with a bunch in the pipeline. THAT is why Marriott is the largest quality tier timeshare developer, with the most happy owners.

I am not knocking Starwood here. I am just opening the subject to owning a trading week. When one considers how low prices are now, combined with Marriott backing off its ROFR for the time being, this may be a real opportunity to buy into Marriott very cheaply, and actually get to own it simply for the trading opportunities otherwise not available at any price.